Looking for scholarship to study in UK for Nigerian students?
According to study by UNESCO, UK is the number destination for Nigerian students studying abroad. And Nigerians make up 7% of the total UK University population. As a result, a number of universities, local and international organizations support Nigerian students to study on scholarship in UK. Below is a comprehensive list of scholarships in UK for Nigerian students to study for undergraduate, masters and PhD.
Be sure to bookmark this page for future reference and updates.
Each year, the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission (CSC) opens application for Nigerian students to apply for Masters and PhD scholarships. Following are available Commonwealth Scholarships
- Commonwealth Scholarship for Developing Countries – Masters and PhD. See UK universities that have part funding agreements with the CSC.
- Commonwealth Shared Scholarship Scheme set up by the Department for International Development (DFID) in 1986, represent a unique partnership between the United Kingdom government and UK universities and the candidates country (in this case Nigeria). Webpage
- Commonwealth Split-site Scholarships – PhD in UK and Nigerian Universities webpage
- Commonwealth Professional Fellowships for Commonwealth Developing Countries to support mid-career professionals to spend a period of time with a UK host organization working in their field for a programme of professional development. Webpage
- Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarships, at UK Universities cover overseas tuition fees at Master’s degree-level and are open to candidates who are citizens of a developing Commonwealth country.
The UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office established the Chevening Scholarship programme in 1983 and is now an internationally prestigious scheme with over 41,000 alumni including Nigerian students. Chevening awards enable Scholars to study a one-year postgraduate Master’s course in any discipline at any UK university. Applications for the 2016/2017 Chevening Awards open in August 2015. – www.chevening.org/nigeria/
The scholarships will be in the form of a 20% fee reduction from any tuition fee but please note, it cannot be taken in conjunction with any other fee reduction or bursary offered by the University. The scholarship is a one-off award towards a one year Masters fees and is non-renewable and only valid for study on the courses listed in the link above
Each year the Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria (SPDC) offers Postgraduate Scholarship for Nigerian Students from Rivers, Delta and Bayelsa States to study in UK for Engineering and petroleum related Science courses at selected universities in UK. The selected UK universities are Imperial College London, University College London and the University of Leeds.
The Petroleum Technology Development Fund (PTDF), a parastatal of the Ministry of Petroleum Resources offers undergraduate, masters & PhD scholarships for students to study in Nigerian and Overseas universities, including UK.
The National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA), with its mandate of transforming Nigeria into an IT driven economy for global competitiveness and the dire need to bridge the digital divide, has since 2010 established a Scholarship Scheme for Masters (MSc) and Doctorate (PhD) Degrees in relevant areas of Information Technology (IT) obtainable in Nigeria or Foreign / Overseas Universities.
Every year, Esso Exploration and Production Nigeria Limited (EEPNL), in partnership with the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) offers the NNPC/ESSO International Postgraduate Scholarships to qualified Nigerian students. ESSO offers these International Scholarships to outstanding Nigerian graduates who wish to pursue their dream of postgraduate masters studies abroad.
As part of its Human Resource Development initiatives, NDDC embarks on Foreign Post-Graduate Scholarship Scheme. The goal is to equip Niger Deltans with relevant training and skills for effective participation in the Local Content programme of the current Administration as well as compete globally in various professional fields.
The Africa London Nagasaki (ALN) fund is a scholarship fund set up to support African scientists to undertake a Master’s degree in a subject relevant to the control of infectious disease in Africa. Each year, up to four scientists will receive up to a maximum award of US$50,000 each to cover tuition fees, travel and living expenses.
The University of Brunel Country-specific scholarships are available to international applicants from Nigeria, Kenya and Egypt on any undergraduate, postgraduate or PhD programme starting in September 2017.
The Ibrahim Scholarships are a range of programmes to support aspiring leaders for the African continent. The scholarships reflect a range of priorities for African development. Participating universities are London Business School, School of Oriental and African Studies and University of Birmingham.
As part of the University’s ongoing commitment to supporting academic achievement and encouraging student diversity, the University of Stirling is pleased to offer an awards scheme for international postgraduate students from Nigeria, Kenya and Ghana. The University will not make multiple awards to an individual student. In cases where a student qualifies for more than one University scholarship or award, the award of the highest financial value will be confirmed.
To reward outstanding achievement and to help ensure that fears about finance do not constrain prospective international students from considering study in the UK, the University of Birmingham is pleased to offer a number of prestigious international scholarships for 2017 entry.
The Standard Bank Derek Cooper Africa Scholarships offer an exciting opportunity of funding for students who are ordinarily resident in one of Standard Bank’s African presence countries, with a preference for residents of South Africa, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, Angola, Mozambique and South Sudan.
The Ibrahim Leadership Fellowships form a selective programme designed to identify and prepare outstanding African leaders by providing them with critical experience at the highest levels of multilateral organizations.
University of Oxford Scholarships for Undergraduate and Graduate
Oxford is home of a number of prestigious scholarship schemes.
- Over 900 fully-funded scholarships were available for new graduate students in 2015-16. The majority of scholarships do not require you to make an additional application; all applicants who apply to the University by the relevant deadline will be considered automatically. Webpage
- Reach Oxford Scholarships are offered to undergraduate students from developing countries.
- Eni Scholarship: St Antony’s College Oxford in partnership with the international integrated energy company Eni, offers students from African universities in Angola, Ghana & Nigeria, the opportunity of fully funded scholarships, including fees and living expenses, for Master’s degree at the University of Oxford UK.
- See list of scholarships at University of Oxford
University of Cambridge Scholarships (Masters & PhD)
The university of Cambridge offer a variety of scholarships that Nigerian students can participate in.
- Gates Cambridge Scholarships are highly competitive full-cost scholarships. They are awarded to outstanding applicants from countries outside the UK to pursue a full-time postgraduate masters and PhD degree in any subject available at the University of Cambridge.
- University of Cambridge offer Scholarship for MPhil Programme in Conservation Leadership to Support Students from Less Developed and Developing Countries.
- The Cambridge International Scholarship Scheme – CISS is a prestigious scheme of approximately 80 full scholarships for international students. It was founded in 2009, and is funded by the assistance from the University of Cambridge, from external funding partners, and from Departments and Colleges that have agreed to contribute to these awards.
- The Microsoft Research PhD Scholarship Programme in EMEA (Europe, Middle East, Africa) was launched in 2004 and has so far supported more than 200 PhD students across the region. Each year by September, PhD supervisors from academic institutions in EMEA submit their proposals for collaborative research projects with Microsoft Research Cambridge.
Undergraduate & Masters scholarships at University of Westminster
Each year, the University of Westminster offers a wide range of scholarships for students from Africa and developing countries to study for undergraduate and masters’ degree at the university.
- See list of Scholarships at University of Westminster
Loughborough University offers full-fee scholarships for international full-time taught postgraduate students who are currently domiciled (permanently living) in Africa. The scholarship covers 100% of the course fees for your chosen postgraduate taught course for one year.
Over 100 scholarships are available to new self-financing full-time international students who are permanently resident in a country outside the European Union (EU). Available in a range of subject areas these scholarships will be to the value of 25% of the programme tuition fee and that value will be credited to the student’s tuition fee account.
The candidate should be aware that this scholarship is the University’s investment in the sustained growth of an individual and the betterment of a community at large. The candidate should indicate how she will use the studying abroad experience and the postgraduate qualification to locally or globally promote holistic transformation, facilitate equal access to opportunities for all, and encourage a peaceful, reconciled and empowered population in her home country.
University of Dundee in Scotland is offering the Petroleum Technology Development Fund (PTDF) postgraduate Scholarship to Nigerian students.
The University of Dundee is offering Global Excellence postgraduate Scholarships in Law to outstanding a limited number of Nigerian students for the January 2018 academic session.
Energy has enhanced our lives: we have never been more connected and, today, more people have better opportunities, better health and better living conditions. This progress has been dependent on reliable, accessible energy. Given the vital role of the energy sector, the Centre for Energy, Petroleum and Mineral Law and Policy (CEPMLP) in partnership with the energy industry is offering a fully funded postgraduate scholarship leading to the degree Mineral Law and Policy LLM.
The University of Dundee is offering 3 different Postgraduate Scholarships to Nigerian students wishing to undertake degree programmes at the University.
London Metropolitan University offers the Murtala Mohammed Scholarship to Nigerian postgraduate students to study for Masters Degrees. The scholarship is a full tuition fee scholarship for a Nigerian student in the name of the Late General Murtala Mohammed, in any of the university’s Business and Management Masters programme.
The University of Edinburgh offers a number of undergraduate scholarships for international students that are open for Nigerian students.
The University of Edinburgh offers a number of postgraduate scholarships for international students that are open for Nigerian students.
The university offers several scholarships for students from developing countries including Nigeria.
- Lord Walston Scholarship: One Lord Walston Scholarship is available, on the basis of academic excellence, for applicants from Africa who are working in natural resource based projects (agriculturalist/natural resource) applying for a place on the MA Agriculture and Rural Development, the MSc Environment and International Development or the MSc Climate Change and International Development. The Scholarship covers Full Fees and Maintenance (living expenses).
- School of International Development Masters Scholarship: for international students towards a Masters Degree program
- University of East Anglia Undergraduate Scholarships: for undergraduate students wishing to study at UEA.
Cardiff University offers undergraduate international scholarships. Students must be confirmed as an Overseas Student for fee paying purposes.
The Cardiff University Postgraduate Taught International Scholarships is offered by the university to international students. These scholarships are only available to self-funded students.
The Newcastle University Nigeria Scholarship (NU Nigeria Scholarship) awards are available for high achieving Nigerian students applying for entry onto postgraduate Master’s degree programmes, commencing in September.
Founded in 2001, Developing Solutions is The University of Nottingham’s flagship international scholarship programme for postgraduate masters courses. The University of Nottingham UK offers up to 105 masters scholarships for a global future for students from Africa.
The Eira Francis Davies Scholarship, which shall be awarded from time to time by the Senate of Swansea University on the basis of academic merit and/or financial need and which shall contribute to tuition fees, shall be tenable for such period as determined by the Senate and shall be subject to satisfactory academic progress and to such other terms and conditions as the University shall stipulate.
The Desmond Tutu Scholarship is one of King’s Scholarships which will directly benefit students entering higher education.
The University of Sheffield offers a range of undergraduate (BA, BSc, BEng, MEng) scholarships to students from Nigeria who show exceptional academic potential and are starting their studies at the University of Sheffield in September.
The University of Sheffield offers the Nigeria Merit Postgraduate Scholarships for students who show exceptional academic potential starting a postgraduate taught master’s programme at the University in September.
The International Development Office at Swansea University UK offer Nigeria undergraduate and postgraduate excellence scholarships.