Commonwealth Split-site PhD Scholarship 2020 in UK for Developing Countries
The Commonwealth Split-site Scholarships is offered to support citizens of developing Commonwealth countries for one year’s study at a UK university as part of a PhD being undertaken in a candidate’s home country.
Application Deadline: 6th November 2019 by 16:00 (GMT)
Eligible Countries: Developing Commonwealth Countries
To be taken at (country): UK Universities
Eligible Field of Study: All subject areas are eligible, although the CSC’s selection criteria give priority to applications that demonstrate the strongest relevance to development.
About Scholarship: Commonwealth Split-site Scholarships support one year’s study at a UK university as part of a PhD being undertaken in a candidate’s home country, under the joint supervision of a home country and UK supervisor.
The 12-month period of study in the UK supported by the scholarship can be taken at any stage during your PhD study, providing this is justified in your study plan. It can be divided into two or more periods, with no more than 12 months elapsing between each award term. If you have not already started your PhD at the time of your application, you will be eligible to spend a maximum of six months in the UK in your first year of study.
These scholarships are for:
- 12 months study at a UK university as part of an applicant’s doctoral studies in their home country, starting in October 2020
- Applicants who are registered (or will be registered by September 2020) for a PhD at a university in an eligible Commonwealth country
- Study at a UK university with which your home university has an established institutional or departmental link
- Study at a UK university which has a part funding agreement with the CSC. View a full list of UK universities with part funding agreements
Offered Since: 1959
Type: PhD study
Selection Criteria: Applications will be considered according to the following selection criteria:
- Academic merit of the candidate
- Quality of the research proposal
- Potential impact on the development of the candidate’s home country
Eligibility: Full eligibility criteria is included in the terms and conditions. Please read all sections of the terms and conditions before applying.
Number of Scholarships: Several
Value of Scholarship: Each scholarship provides:
- Approved airfare from your home country to the UK and return at the end of your award (the CSC will not reimburse the cost of fares for dependants, nor usually the cost of journeys made before your award is finally confirmed)
- Approved tuition fees
- Stipend (living allowance)
- Warm clothing allowance, where applicable
- Study travel grant towards the cost of study-related travel within the UK or overseas
- If you are widowed, divorced, or a single parent, child allowance of £465 per month for the first child, and £114 per month for the second and third child under the age of 16, if you are accompanied by your children and they are living with you at the same address in the UK.
Duration of Scholarship: One year
How to Apply: You can access the online application system now.
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.