Postgraduate Scholarship for Nigerian Students from Rivers, Delta and Bayelsa States to study in UK for Engineering and petroleum related Science courses at Imperial College London, University College London and the University of Leeds for 2017 academic year.
Application Deadline: 30th January 2017.
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible African Countries: Nigeria (Rivers, Delta, Imo and Bayelsa States)
To be taken at (country): The scholarship is offered in partnership with three prestigious and internationally recognised universities in the United Kingdom Imperial College London, University College London and the University of Leeds UK
Accepted Subject Areas? The following courses at the three institutions qualify for the scholarship:
- Imperial College London
MSC Petroleum Engineering
MSC Petroleum Geoscience
MSC Petroleum Geophysics
- University College London
MSC Chemical/Process Engineering
MSC Mechanical Engineering (Rotating Equipment or Metallurgy)
MSC Civil Engineering (Geotechnics)
- University of Leeds
MSC Exploration Geophysics
MSC Electronic/Electrical Engineering
About Scholarship: Each year the Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria (SPDC) offers scholarship awards to students form the Niger Delta region of Nigeria. For the 2014 scholarship award, the Oil and Gas company is delighted to announce the third annual SPDC Niger Delta Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme for applicants from Rivers, Delta and Bayelsa States.
The scholarship scheme is aimed to provide an opportunity for qualifying students from the three Niger Delta States to further their education in courses that are relevant to the oil and gas industry.
Offered Since: 2010
Type: Postgraduate (Masters)
By what Criteria is Selection Made? Candidates must have gained admission to study at any of the participating universities in one of the qualifying courses
Who is qualified to apply? To qualify for the scholarship, applicants must:
- Display sound intellectual ability and leadership potentials
- Meet the individual universities’ English Language requirements (usually at least 6.5 in IELTS score valid for Sept. 2017 admission). Please note that TOEFL is no longer recognised by most UK universities. Candidates are advised that failure to meet each university’s English Language requirement at the time of selection may invalidate their application.
- Be aged between 21-28 years by 30/09/2017
- Be an indigene of Rivers, Delta, Imo or Bayelsa states (documentary proof of this will be required and will be verified)
- Currently reside in Nigeria
- Return to Nigeria on completion of the proposed programme of study
- Have obtained a university degree (at least of equivalent standard to a UK Second Class Upper (Honours degree)
- Not have studied previously in the UK or any other developed country
- Have a Nigerian international passport valid to end December 2018
- Be neither a current nor former employee (who has left employment less than 5 years before) of SPDC or the Royal Dutch Shell Group of Companies
- Not be a spouse, child or ward of staff of Shell Companies in Nigeria
What are the benefits? The scholarship will cover tuition fees, one return flight from Nigeria to the UK and a contribution towards living expenses only.
How long will sponsorship last? One year postgraduate Masters Studies
How can I Apply?
- Submit application for admission to the any of the prospective universities for any of the qualifying courses
- Application forms will be available ONLY through the participating universities, following admission;
- Nominated applicants will attend an interview before being considered for final selection;
- Visit the following university application page for more details on how to apply for admission.
Further information can be obtained at firstname.lastname@example.org or through the individual universities.
Sponsors: Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria (SPDC)
- Please note that the stipends are based on the Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU) published living rates and are limited to this only
- This is a non-committal scholarship. Note that NEITHER SPDC NOR any of its affiliate companies is obligated to offer employment of any sort to any candidate upon graduation neither are successful candidates bonded to SPDC for any period of time on account of the scholarship award.