Deadline Extended! African Development Bank Young Professionals Program (YPP) 2020 for Young Africans
Do you have passion and commitment to development of Africa? Outstanding academic and professional achievements? A commitment to engage in crucial issues in Africa’s development? Do you wish to make a difference, be part of something bigger than yourself and explore your leadership potential? If yes, you are the one AFDB seeks.
Application Deadline: Extended to 15th December 2019 (from 13th November 2019 (midnight GMT).
Offered Annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: African member countries
To Be Taken At (Country): Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire
About the Award: The Young Professionals Program (YPP) is a three year leadership opportunity for the development of Bank’s future leaders. We attract highly qualified and motivated professionals from our member countries for a productive and rewarding career path in development.
Through the YPP, the Bank ensures continuity and excellence in both the management of its work programs and the provision of policy advice to its regional member countries.
As a Young Professional, you will work on programs that cover the continent and be at the forefront of exciting Bank initiatives that are shaping Africa’s future. The program will prepare you to be a development professional with a notable impact.
Focus Areas: The specific disciplines and specialist professional areas that are aligned to our Ten-Year Strategy (TYS) and our gender strategy are the following five high priorities (Hi-5s) of the Bank’s operations:
- Light Up and Power Africa:
Power systems development (grid base power system, power utilities), Climate change and green growth (climate finance, climate adaptation), Energy statistics, policy and regulation (energy statistics), Renewable energy (off grid energy access), Energy partnerships (energy partnerships and stakeholders engagement, energy markets).
- Feed Africa:
Agriculture & agro-industry (agribusiness development, agriculture research, production and sustainability), Agricultural finance & rural development (agricultural and rural finance, rural infrastructure development).
- Integrate Africa:
Development research (macroeconomic policy, debt sustainability and forecasting, microeconomic, institutional and development impact), Governance and public financial management (program development, policy management), Statistics (economic and social statistics, statistical capacity building).
- Industrialize Africa:
Private sector development (strategy and new product, portfolio asset management, special operations), Financial sector development (financial institutions, financial inclusion), Infrastructure, cities & urban development (transport and logistics, ICT), Industrial and trade development.
- Improve the lives of the people of Africa:
Water, human and social development (education, human capital and employment, sanitation and public health.
Eligibility: To join, applicant should:
- Be a citizen of a member country of the Bank.
- Be 32 years of age or younger by 1st May 2020.
- Possess a Master’s degree or equivalent in any discipline that is relevant to the business of the Bank, with outstanding academic credentials.
- Have at least 3 years work experience in the areas related to the high priority areas (Hi-5s) as mentioned above.
- Interested candidates with coding, e-development, animation and platforms designs and maintenance are required this year.
- Demonstrable hands-on experience on the African continent and/or in other continent’s developing countries is a necessary requirement.
- Have passion for Africa’s Development
- Able to leverage knowledge, share and coach others. Work effectively in teams with displayed high adaptability to a diverse environment.
- Strong analytical skills, an entrepreneurial drive, results- orientation and problem-solving capability.
- High business acumen and innovative mindset.
- Be proficient in the Bank’s working languages, either English and/or French.
- Have skills that enable you work in a digital environment and embrace technology as it evolves.
- Be willing to live in Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire the Bank’s Headquarters, and any other country in Africa where the Bank may require your services.
Number of Awards: 30
Value of Award:
- The Young Professionals Program offers you a platform to build an exceptional and fulfilling career in the Bank. This development program spans 36 months and is structured under the Young Professionals Learning Academy. It is delivered in batches of 6 months each, to deepen knowledge and build technical and leadership skills necessary for future roles.
- The learning will immerse you into different functional areas of the Bank where you will have hands-on experience in projects and various work assignments.
- Partnerships with experts from recognized institutions support us to deliver training such as leadership development.
- Majority of your learning and development is experiential as you continue to be supported by coaches, mentors and colleagues.
Duration of Program: 3 years
How to Apply:
- Please note that application for admission to the AfDB YPP is an online process. The YPP is highly competitive program and you are advised to provide as much relevant information as possible.
- Applicants with dual nationality are advised that the Bank recognizes only one nationality from a member country; as such, kindly indicate the nationality you wish to declare.
- Successful candidates from the selection process will be appointed YPs under their declared nationalities for the duration of the Program and any continuing contract with the Bank.
It is important to go through application instructions and checklist on the Program Webpage (See Link below) before applying.
Award Providers: African Development Bank
Watch Interesting Videos from Our Channel
10 Best Places To Study Abroad If…
Don’t Take This Common Advice If…
7 Lessons from the 2020 Pandemic and Economic Threat