UMAPS accepts direct applications from faculty members of colleges or universities in Africa.
Application Deadline: 15th October 2017
Offered annually? Yes
To be Taken at (Country): Ann Habor, Michigan, USA
Eligible Countries: Ethiopia, Ghana, South Africa, Liberia, Uganda and other African countries
About the Award: The U-M African Presidential Scholars Program (UMAPS) brings early career faculty members from Ethiopia, Ghana, South Africa, Liberia, Uganda and other African countries to the University of Michigan for residencies lasting up to six months.
Faculty members of colleges and universities in all other African countries cannot apply directly to the UMAPS program without first being nominated and invited to apply by a U-M faculty member with whom s/he already has a pre-existing relationship. Only the stated countries can apply directly.
Scholars are paired with a faculty mentor during their stay and have full access to U-M’s resources to further their work on a research project, an academic degree, a new course, a grant proposal, or other relevant activity. The program supports the development of the next generation of African scholars and seeks to help their home institutions build capacity. Individuals may apply for a two-month, four-month, or six-month residency.
Eligibility: The Candidate must be a faculty member from universities in Ethiopia, Ghana, Uganda, Liberia and South Africa. Since a primary goal of the program is to assist in capacity building in African academe, strong preference will be given to early career members of the faculty. Mid-career faculty will also be considered.
- Be an educator in the higher education system for less than ten years, presently teaching in a college or university in Africa
- Be able to demonstrate support from home institution with letter of recommendation from head of department, dean, or vice chancellor
- Be able to remain in residence from four to six months
Selection Criteria: A multidisciplinary faculty committee at the University of Michigan will review and select candidates. Selection will be based on the following:
- academic quality of the candidate and of the proposed program of scholarship;
- the academic fit of the candidate with others selected in the cycle-and with the areas of interest described above;
- and the support of the candidate’s home institution.
- Strong emphasis will be given to candidates from disadvantaged backgrounds.
- Promotion of gender equity in the current class of scholars and in the African academy will also be given strong consideration.
Candidates who already have significant international experience will not be favored for this program.
Number of Scholarships: Not specified
Value of Scholarship: Those admitted to the UMAPS Program will receive:
- Four to six months residency at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA, paired with a faculty mentor with full access to the university’s resources
- Round-trip airfare from their home country to Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Free housing, and a modest stipend to cover living, health care, and research costs while at U-M. The UMAPS program is unable to accommodate spouses and/or dependents
- Office/Laboratory space
- Opportunity to present research to the U-M community
Duration of Scholarship: Eligible scholars may apply to visit U-M for a semester (four months) or for a half year (six months) beginning in Late August 2018 -Early February 2019
How to Apply: All candidates must:
- Complete the online application form
- Submit a curriculum vitae
- Submit a scholarly program/research proposal (not to exceed five pages) (See link in scholarship Webpage)
Applications from a wide range of disciplines and schools are welcome; applications that align with the center’s initiatives—African Heritage, African Social Research, and STEM-Africa—are encouraged
- Provide a complete name and contact information of the department head, dean, or vice chancellor at the applicant’s home institution who will be writing their letter of support (See link in scholarship Webpage)
Sponsors: University of Michigan
Important to Note: Only applications submitted through the online system will be considered. ASC does not accept electronic (PDF) or hard copy submissions of the application.