Trudeau Foundation Doctoral Scholarships in Canada for Developing Countries 2017/2018
Application Deadline: Each participating university has a different deadline within the Fall period for the submission of students’ applications.
Trudeau Foundation Deadline: 9th December, 2016.
Registration opens on 9th September, 2016
Offered annually? Yes
Brief description: Trudeau Foundation offers Doctoral Scholarships for Canadian Citizens and Foreign Nationals (with preference to developing countries) to study Social Sciences and Humanities at Canadian Universities 2017/2018
Accepted Subject Areas: Social Sciences and Humanities related studies, preferably one of the following:
- Human Rights and Dignity
- Responsible Citizenship
- Canada in the World
- People and their Natural Environment
Each year, the Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation rewards outstanding doctoral candidates who are enrolled or about to be enrolled in a social sciences and humanities program and who are doing research in areas related to the four themes of the foundation. This award, the most prestigious of its type in Canada, has continuously attracted the very best scholars in the social sciences and humanities, individuals with a passion for public engagement and who are likely to become leading national and international figures.
Scholarship Offered Since: 2003
- Have a track record of academic achievements on par with the highest standards of the world’s most prestigious doctoral scholarship programs
- Possess exceptional skills that will enable the Scholar to engage in lively exchange with other researchers
- Intend to work in an area related to one or more of the Foundation’s four themes and have an expressed desire to contribute to public dialogue
Who is qualified to apply?
- Be a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant applying to a doctoral program in the social sciences and humanities or registered full-time in the first or second year of such a program at a Canadian university
- Be a Canadian citizen applying to a doctoral program in the social sciences and humanities or registered full-time in the first or second year of such a program at a foreign university
- Be a foreign national [with a preference for candidates from the developing world] applying to a doctoral program in the social sciences and humanities or registered full-time in the first or second year of such a program at a Canadian university
- Present a research project linked to one of the four themes of the Foundation
- Be nominated by a university
Number of Scholarships: Several
Benefit of Scholarship:
- $40,000 per year for three years;
- $20,000 per year for three years, as research and travel allowance;
- Opportunity for a fourth year: writing or dissemination scholarship;
- Advice from a mentor from various spheres of Canadian public life, starting the second year of the scholarship;
- Development of leadership potential;
- Support from an outstanding community of scholars, fellows and mentors, and opportunities for interaction with 350 leaders and personalities in every sector of the humanities and social sciences;
- Involvement in lively exchange with other researchers or scholars and a keen interest in contributing to public dialogue;
- Collaboration with Trudeau mentors, fellows and scholars on interdisciplinary projects going beyond their own field of expertise;
- Sharing of innovative ideas at events organized by or in conjunction with the Foundation.
Duration: For the period of the programme
Eligible Developing Countries: Students of developing countries
To be taken at (country): Canadian Universities
How to Apply
For more details, visit scholarship webpage
Sponsors: Trudeau Foundation