The University of British Columbia, Canada partners with the MasterCard foundation Scholars Programme to grant $25M Scholarships to African students.
Application Deadlines: See below
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: African countries
To be taken at (country): University of British Columbia, Canada
About Scholarship: The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program is a $500 million initiative to inspire young people — particularly from Africa — to lead change through education.
Watch How to Apply to Win the MasterCard Foundation Scholarship
The University of British Columbia, Canada is pleased to partner with The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program to provide comprehensive scholarships to students from Sub-Saharan Africa. The Program provides access to education for academically talented, yet economically marginalized young people. More than 110 students from Africa will receive comprehensive scholarships to live and learn at the University of British Columbia thanks to a $25 million grant from The MasterCard Foundation. Over the next 10 years, UBC expects to welcome 77 undergraduate and 35 master’s degree students through the Program.
UBC is among the first Canadian universities to join The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program and one of 15 institutions participating in the $500 million global education initiative.
Offered Since: 2013
Number of Scholarships: 110 students over the next 10 years
Value of Scholarship: Selected students will receive a scholarship equivalent to the costs of attaining a degree, including travel, tuition, textbooks, housing, food, and living expenses. You will also receive financial, academic, social, and post-graduation support which will enable you to build experiences and competencies critical for academic success.
Duration of Scholarship: Full period of study
Eligibility and Selection Criteria: To be eligible for consideration for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Masters’ Degree Program at UBC, the applicant must:
- have completed a Bachelor’s degree;
- must not already have a graduate or PhD degree;
- be 35 years old or younger (i.e. born in 1985 or after);
- be a citizen or a refugee of a Sub-Saharan African country;
- have lived a significant part of their life in a Sub-Saharan African country;
- present economically disadvantaged financial circumstances, and be able to show lack of financial means from family or other sources to pursue graduate education in their home country or elsewhere;
- have achieved academic excellence under difficult circumstances and show leadership qualities or potential;
- demonstrate an interest in and commitment to giving back to his/her home community in ways that enhance the economic growth and social development of Africa, through engagement in activities in their current profession, university or community;
- be a person who requires a Canadian study permit to study in Canada;
- commit to returning to Africa to apply their training and skills to the betterment of others;
- be applying for a Master’s degree in one of the following faculties and programs at UBC’s Vancouver campus;
- Faculty of Forestry
- Master of Sustainable Forest Management (MSFM)
- Master of International Forestry (MIF)
- Master of Geomatics for Environmental Management (MGEM)
- Faculty of Land and Food Systems
- Master of Food and Resource Economics (MFRE)
- Master of Food Science (MFS)
- Master of Land and Water Systems (MLWS)
- Faculty of Science
- Master of Data Science
- Faculty of Forestry
Please note that the Mastercard Foundation Scholars program only covers the expenses of the admitted scholars.
Please note that Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents are not eligible to apply for this award.
Please note that funds from the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at UBC cannot be applied to pursue programs at other academic institutions.
Step 1: Admissibility Submission: November 6, 2020
Step 2: Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program Application: December 11, 2020
Step 3: UBC Faculty Applications:
- Forestry: January 13, 2021
- Land and Food Systems: January 8, 2021
- Science: January 8, 2021
These dates may vary from those posted on faculty websites. Please note that if you are applying for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at UBC, you must submit all your documents (including your reference letters) by the requested dates.
*Applicants applying to these programs should consider the different deadlines. Late submissions will not be accepted.
How to Apply: Please find more information in the Graduate Scholarship Webpage Link below.
Nominations: When students are confirmed for nomination, their high school or recognized non-profit organization must use the MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program nomination package. Find the Nomination package in the link below.
Sponsors: MasterCard Foundation Scholars Programme (MFSP)