University of British Columbia MasterCard Foundation Scholarships 2020/2021 for African Students
The University of British Columbia, Canada partners with the MasterCard foundation Scholars Programme to grant $25M Scholarships to African students.
Application Deadlines: See below
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: African countries
To be taken at (country): University of British Columbia, Canada
About Scholarship: The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program is a $500 million initiative to inspire young people — particularly from Africa — to lead change through education.
Watch How to Apply to Win the MasterCard Foundation Scholarship
The University of British Columbia, Canada is pleased to partner with The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program to provide comprehensive scholarships to students from Sub-Saharan Africa. The Program provides access to education for academically talented, yet economically marginalized young people. More than 110 students from Africa will receive comprehensive scholarships to live and learn at the University of British Columbia thanks to a $25 million grant from The MasterCard Foundation. Over the next 10 years, UBC expects to welcome 77 undergraduate and 35 master’s degree students through the Program.
UBC is among the first Canadian universities to join The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program and one of 15 institutions in the world participating in the $500 million global education initiative.
Offered Since: 2013
Number of Scholarships: 110 students over the next 10 years
Value of Scholarship: Selected students will receive a scholarship equivalent to the costs related to attaining a degree, including travel, tuition, textbooks, housing, food, and living expenses. You will also receive financial, academic, social, and post-graduation support which will enable you to build experiences and competencies critical for academic success.
Duration of Scholarship: Full period of study
Eligibility and Selection Criteria:
- have completed a Bachelor’s degree;
- be a citizen of and have lived a significant part of their life in a Sub-Saharan African country;
- present economically disadvantaged financial circumstances, and be able to show lack of financial means from family or other sources to pursue graduate education in their home country or elsewhere;
- have achieved academic excellence under difficult circumstances, and show leadership qualities or potential;
- demonstrate an interest in and commitment to giving back to his/her home community in ways that enhance the economic growth and social development of Africa, through engagement in activities in their current profession, university or community;
- be applying for a Master’s degree in one of the following Faculties and programs at UBC’s Vancouver campus (see below)
- be a person who requires a Canadian study permit to study in Canada;
- commit to returning to Africa immediately after graduation from UBC in order to apply their training and skills to the betterment of others.
Eligible Fields of Study: Interested candidates must be applying for a Master’s degree in one of the following Faculties and programs at UBC’s Vancouver campus;
- Faculty of Arts
- Master of Public Policy and Global Affairs
- Faculty of Education
- Master of Educational Administration and Leadership (M.Ed)
- Master of Higher Education (M.Ed)
- Master of Education in Science Education (M.Ed)
- Faculty of Forestry
- Master of Science (MSc)
- Master of Applied Science (MASc)
- Master of Sustainable Forest Management (MSFM)
- Master of International Forestry (MIF)
- Master of Geomatics for Environmental Management (MGEM)
- Faculty of Land and Food Systems
- Master of Food and Resource Economics (MFRE)
- Master of Food Science (MFS)
- Master of Land and Water Systems (MLWS)
- Faculty of Medicine
- Master of Public Health (MPH)
- Faculty of Science
- Master of Data Science
- Sauder School of Business
- Full-Time MBA Program
- Faculty of Arts
Step 1: Admissibility Submission: November 6, 2019
Step 2: Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program Application December 13, 2019
Step 3: UBC Faculty Applications:
- Arts: January 2, 2020
- *Masters in Science Education (SCED) – December 1, 2019*
- Masters of Educational Administration and Leadership (EDAL) – January 2, 2020
- Masters of Higher Education (HIED) – January 2, 2020
- *Forestry: January 13, 2020*
- Land and Food Systems: January 2, 2020
- Medicine: January 2, 2020
- Science: January 2, 2020
- Sauder School of Business: January 2, 2020
These dates may vary from those posted on faculty websites. Please note that if you are applying for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at UBC, you must submit all your documents (including your reference letters) by the dates requested above.
How to Apply: Please find more information in the Graduate Scholarship Webpage Link below.
Nominations: When students are confirmed for nomination, their high school or recognized non-profit organization must use the MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program nomination package. Find the Nomination package in the link below.
Sponsors: MasterCard Foundation Scholars Programme (MFSP)
Watch Interesting Videos from Our Channel
This One Skill Will Increase Your Value by at least 50%
10 Common Scholarship Interview Questions And How to Answer Them
Top 10 Countries With The Highest Salaries For Doctors