VLIR-UOS Masters (ICP) and Training Scholarships 2019/2020 by Belgium Government for African/Developing Countries
VLIR-UOS offers full Masters Scholarships in Belgium for students from Developing countries – half of this scholarship will be offered to African students and preference will be given for Women. The eligible training or Masters programmes are taught in English.
Application Deadline: Application Deadlines depend on candidate’s chosen programme (See’How to Apply’ link below); deadlines generally between November 2018 – March 2019
Offered annually? Yes
- Africa: Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, DR Congo, Ethiopia, Guinea, Cameroon, Kenya, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Mozambique, Rwanda, Senegal, Tanzania, Uganda, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Niger
- Asia: Cambodia, Philippines, Indonesia, Palestinian Territories, Vietnam
- Latin America: Bolivia, Cuba, Ecuador, Guatemala, Haiti, Nicaragua, Peru
To be taken at (country): Belgium
Accepted Subject Areas: Only the following English taught courses at Belgian Flemish universities or university colleges are eligible for scholarships:
- Master of Human Settlements – Deadline for applications: 1 February 2019
- Master of Development Evaluation and Management – Deadline for applications: 1 February 2019
- Master of Governance and Development – Deadline for applications: 1 February 2019
- Master of Globalization and Development – Deadline for applications: 1 February 2019
- Master of Cultural Anthropology and Development Studies – Deadline for applications: 1 February 2019
- Master of Science in Food Technology – Deadline for applications: 1 February 2019
- Master of Science in Marine and Lacustrine Science and Management (Oceans and Lakes) – Deadline for applications: 28 February 2019
- Master of Aquaculture (IMAQUA) – Deadline for applications: 1 March 2019
- Master of Epidemiology – Deadline for applications: 15 February 2019
- Master of Agro-and Environmental Nematology – Deadline for pre-academic admission: 3 January 2019. Please note you have to send a hard copy of your application and all requested documents to the programme coordinator before 15 January 2019!
- Master of Rural Development – Deadline for applications: 1 March 2019
- Master of Statistics – Deadline for applications: 1 February 2019
- Master of Water Resources Engineering – Deadline for applications: 1 February 2019
- Master of Sustainable Territorial Development – Deadline for applications: 1 February 2019
- Master of Transportation Sciences and Road Safety in Low & Middle Income Countries – Deadline for applications: 1 March 2019
Training programmes (14-90 days)
About the Award: VLIR-UOS awards scholarships to students from developing countries to study for a master or training programme in Flanders, Belgium. VLIR-UOS funds and facilitates academic cooperation and exchange between higher education institutions in Flanders (Belgium) and those in developing countries, which aims at building capacity, knowledge and experience for a sustainable development.
The master programmes focus on specific problems of developing countries. These are designed to enable graduates to share and apply acquired knowledge in the home institution and country. In the shorter training programmes the focus is on transferring skills rather than knowledge, thus creating opportunities for cooperation and networking.
Selection Criteria: The following criteria will be taken into account for the selection of candidates for a scholarship:
- Motivation. The candidate who is not able to convincingly motivate his application, is unlikely to be selected for a scholarship.
- Professional experience: Preference will be given to candidates who can demonstrate a higher possibility of implementing and/or transferring the newly gained knowledge upon return to the home country.
- Gender. In case of two equally qualified candidates of different sexes, preference will be given to the female candidate.
- Regional balance. The selection commission tries to ensure that 50% of a programme’s scholarships are granted to candidates from Sub-Saharan Africa, provided there is a sufficient number of qualifying candidates from this region.
- Social background. In case of two equally qualified candidates, preference will be given to candidates who can demonstrate that they belong to a disadvantaged group or area within their country or an ethnic or social minority group, especially when these candidates can provide proof of leadership potential.
- Previously awarded scholarships: Preference will be given to candidates who have never received a scholarship to study in a developed country (bachelor or master).
Eligibility: You can only apply for a scholarship if you meet the following requisites.
- Fungibility with other VLIR-UOS funding: A scholarship within the VLIR-UOS scholarship programme is not compatible with financial support within an IUC- or TEAM-project. Candidates working in a university where such projects are being organized, should submit a declaration of the project leader stating that the department where the candidate is employed is not involved in the project.
- Age: The maximum age for an ICP candidate is 35 years for an initial masters and 40 years for an advanced masters. The maximum age for an ITP candidate is 45 years. The candidate cannot succeed this age on January 1 of the intake year.
- Nationality and Country of Residence: A candidate should be a national and resident of one of the 31 countries of the VLIR-UOS country list for scholarships (not necessarily the same country) at the time of application.
- Professional background and experience: VLIR-UOS gives priority to candidates who are employed in academic institutions, research institutes, governments, social economy or NGO’s, or aim a career in one of these sectors. However, also candidates employed in the profit sector (ICP and ITP) or newly graduated candidates without any work experience (ICP) can be eligible for the scholarship. The ITP candidate should have relevant professional experience and a support letter confirming (re)integration in a professional context where the acquired knowledge and skills will be immediately applicable.
- Former VLIR-UOS scholarship applications and previously awarded scholarships: A candidate can only submit one VLIR-UOS scholarship application per year, irrespectively of the scholarship type. As a consequence, a candidate can only be selected for one VLIR-UOS scholarship per year.
- The ICP candidate has never received a scholarship from the Belgian government to attend a master programme or equivalent or was never enrolled in a Flemish higher education institution to attend a master programme or equivalent before January 1 of the intake year
Number of Awardees: VLIR-UOS will award up to 180 scholarships to first-year master students and 70 scholarships to training participants.
Value of Scholarship: The scholarship covers ALL related expenses (full cost).
Duration of Scholarship: The master programmes will last for one or two academic years while the shorter training programmes will last 14 to 90 days.
How to Apply:
- To apply for a scholarship, you first need to apply for the training or Master programme.
- To apply for a training or Master programme, visit the website of the training or Master programme of your interest. Follow the guidelines for application for the programme as mentioned on its website.
- In the programme application, you can mention whether you wish to apply for a scholarship. In case you do, the programme coordinator forwards your application to VLIR-UOS.
- Applications submitted by the candidates to VLIR-UOS directly will not be considered!
Visit Scholarship Webpage for more details
Sponsors: The Flemish Interuniversity Council (VLIR) responsible actor for the Belgian government
Watch Interesting Videos from Our Channel
Top 10 Highest Paying Engineering Jobs in the World
5 IMPORTANT WAYS JOBS WILL CHANGE IN THE 4TH INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION
Top 10 Jobs that’ll Pay You to Travel the World