SG 2013 Conference MasterCard Foundation Scholarship for Africa, Latin America and Asia – 50% for Women
Scholarship Name: SG 2013 Conference MasterCard Foundation Scholarship
In the spirit of fostering a diverse learning environment, Oxfam America has signed a contract with the MasterCard Foundation to award partial scholarships for travel to the SG 2013 Savings Groups Conference. Women are strongly encouraged to apply for this opportunity.
Conference Subject Areas
Expanding Financial Inclusion and Development
About Savings Groups
Savings Groups provide access to basic financial services to over six million rural poor people, mostly women, worldwide. These self-selected and self- managed groups, predominately found in remote areas of Sub-Saharan Africa, Asia, and Central America, provide their members with a secure place to save and easy access to loans.
About SG 2013 Conference
Learn how Savings Groups contribute to financial inclusion and development: Join the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Oxfam America, and others active in the Savings Group sector for the SG 2013 Savings Groups Conference.
This year’s conference will be held March 4th and 5th, 2013 at the Sheraton Pentagon City Hotel in Arlington, VA. The theme of this year’s conference is Expanding Financial Inclusion and Development.
At the Savings Groups 2013 conference, you will learn about:
- The place that Saving Groups occupy within the current financial landscape
- How Savings Groups can be linked to the formal financial sector
- How Savings Groups reach the rural poor in remote areas
- How to scale up Savings Groups
- How Savings Groups can be platforms for other services, products, and types of education
- How to link Savings Groups to mobile technology
The goal of the MasterCard Foundation scholarships for the SG 2013 Savings Groups Conference is to bring together a wide range of participants interested in learning more about Savings Groups. Funding has been reserved for speakers, delegates, microfinance networks, central bankers, and regulators from Africa and speakers from Latin America and Asia. Interested individuals are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, especially if a visa is required. Fifty percent of funding is designated for female applicants, so we strongly encourage women to apply.
Scholarship Offered Since: 2013
Scholarship Type: Conference attendance partial scholarship with preference for women
Who is eligible to apply?
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Have at least two years of experience working with Savings Groups or in microfinance, central banking, regulatory agencies, or a related field
- Have limited access to financial resources to pay for all expenses required to attend the conference. Applicants are required to submit an action plan for how they will disseminate what they learn at the conference to colleagues and others who can benefit from the knowledge
How Many Scholarships are available? Not specified
What are the benefits?
The partial scholarships will cover the cost of a participant’s airfare travel to the conference. The following costs are not covered and are the responsibility of the awardee:
- Conference registration fee
- Ground transportation within the home country and in the Washington DC area
- Hotel accommodations
- Meals after conference hours
All travel reimbursements will be issued after the conference.
How long will sponsorship last? For the duration of the conference
Sub-Saharan Africa, Asia, and Central America
To be taken at (country): USA
The date for the conference is March 4 & 5th, 2013. Application should be made well before this date
Offered annually? Not Specified
How to Apply
Where to Send the Application
Please send complete applications via email to [email protected]
Please include Scholarship Application in the subject line and address it to Andrea Teebagy.
More details about the scholarship here
The MasterCard Foundation
We will review applications on a rolling basis. Notification of awardees will be made via email and will happen as soon as the selections are made. Awardees will be given 5 business days to communicate their acceptance of the scholarship.