UNESCO/Sri Lanka Co-Sponsored Fellowship Programme for Undergraduate Students in Developing Countries 2018/2019
With the view to enhance the strategic objective of UNESCO and promoting the implementation of Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) 2030 Agenda, the Government of Sri Lanka has placed at disposal of UNESCO for the academic year 2018/2019, under the co-sponsorship with UNESCO, two (2) fellowships for selected students from Kenya and Saint Kitts and Nevis to pursue undergraduate study in Sri Lanka.
Application Deadline: 9th July 2018
Eligible Countries: Afghanistan, Gambia, Kiribati, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, Myanmar, Nepal, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, South Sudan, Sudan, Tuvalu, Uganda, United Republic of Tanzania, Vanuatu, Zambia.
To Be Taken At (Country): Sri Lanka
Fields of Study:
- BSc in Agricultural Technology and Management (special), University of Peradeniya (4 years)
- BSc in Environmental Conservation and Management in the direction of Climate Change Studies, University of Kelaniya (3 years)
About the Award: Beneficiaries of these two fellowships will undertake their first year of study, which will commence in November 2018, under the scheme of UNESCO/Sri Lanka Co-sponsored Fellowships Programme. From the second year until the completion of the study programme, the fellows will be sponsored solely by the Government of Sri Lanka under the Government Scholarship Scheme. The medium of instruction of the courses will be in English.
Type: Fellowship, Undergraduate
- Candidates must have impressive results at an examination deemed equivalent to G.C.E. (Advanced Level) Examination of Sri Lanka or qualifications required for admission to a university in their home country to follow a bachelor’s degree. All required passes should be obtained in one and the same sitting.
- English proficiency is required.
- Between 18-25 years of age as of 16.04.2018.
- Be in good health.
Number of Awards: 2
Value of Award:
Facilities offered by the Government of Sri Lanka
- Exemption from paying tuition and registration fees for the entire duration of the study programme;
- A monthly living allowance of LKR 10,000 (ten thousand Sri Lanka rupees) during the first year of study to cover expenses related to food and accommodation;
- Free-of-charge medical facilities at government hospitals other than dental related diseases;
- An advisor or study director from the host institution to supervise the studies of the beneficiaries; and
- Visa on gratis basis for the entry to Sri Lanka
* From the second year until the end of the study programme, the fellows will be solely sponsored by the Government of Sri Lanka under the Government Scholarship Scheme, and the fellows will be offered a monthly living allowance of LKR 30,000 (thirty thousand Sri Lanka rupees) and a one-way ticket from Sri Lanka to their home country after the successful completion of their study.
Facilities offered by UNESCO
- The expense of a round-trip international travel to and from Sri Lanka for the academic year 2018-2019;
- A one-time allowance of US$ 350 (three hundred and fifty US dollars), which will be paid prior to the fellow’s departure to Sri Lanka, to cover their immediate expense in Sri Lanka;
- A monthly allowance of US$ 150 (one hundred and fifty US dollars) for eleven (11) months; and
- A termination allowance of US$ 200 (two hundred US dollars) to cover excess luggage charges at the time of return to home country.
- All international students going to study in Sri Lanka are required to obtain their visa from the Embassy or Consulate of Sri Lanka in their country before their departure to Sri Lanka. In exceptional cases, visa may be given upon arrival at the airport of Sri Lanka with valid documents issued by the authorities in Sri Lanka. Fellows are recommended to start their visa application at least one month before their departure.
- Selected candidates will be duly informed of the procedures of visa application after awarded.
How to Apply: All applications must be endorsed and channeled through relevant government bodies (National Commission or Permanant Delegation to UNESCO). Applicants should consult the National Commission for UNESCO of their home countries in advance about the specific procedures of application at the national level.
It is necessary to go through the Application process on the Programme Webpage (see link below) before applying for this scholarship.
Visit the Programme Webpage for Details
Award Providers: UNESCO, Government of Sri Lanka
Important Notes: All applications must be prepared in English. Documents in languages other than English must be attached with notarized English translations.