Coimbra Group Universities have been providing, since 2008, young researchers from universities in Sub-Saharan Africa with the opportunity to spend a short period (1 to 3 months) at a Coimbra Group University to carry out part of their research there.
Application Deadline: 7th April 2023 midnight (Brussels time)
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: All African countries except Algeria, Egypt, Libya, Morocco, and Tunisia (applicants from these countries are eligible under the Scholarship Programme for Young Researchers from the European Neighbourhood).
To be taken at (Country): The following Coimbra Group universities are participating in the 2023 edition of the scheme:
- University of Barcelona (Spain)
- University of Coimbra (Portugal)
- Trinity College Dublin (Ireland)
- University of Granada (Spain)
- University of Graz (Austria)
- University of Groningen (The Netherlands)
- Friedrich Schiller University Jena (Germany)
- Jagiellonian University in Krakow (Poland)
- KU Leuven (Belgium)
- University of Padova (Italy)
- University of Pavia (Italy)
- University of Poitiers (France)
- University of Salamanca (Spain)
- University of Siena (Italy)
- University of Turku (Finland)
- Utrecht University (The Netherlands)
About Coimbra Group Short-Term Scholarships: Universities of the Coimbra Group offer short-term visits (generally 1 to maximum 3 months) to young African researchers from higher education institutions from Sub-Saharan Africa. The main aim of this scholarship programme is to enable scholars to undertake research in which they are engaged in their home institution and to help them to establish academic and research contacts. The scholarships are financially supported by the Coimbra Group member universities participating in this programme, while the Coimbra Group Office is in charge of the administrative management of the applications.
Type: Research, Short course
Eligibility: Applicants should be:
- born on or after 1 January 1978
- nationals of and current residents in a country in Sub-Saharan Africa
- current staff members of a university or an equivalent higher education institution in Sub-Saharan Africa
- of doctoral/postdoctoral or equivalent status, although some universities offer grants for Master’s level students (please see details in the table in the Link below).
Female candidates are encouraged to apply and will be prioritized.
Coimbra Group Short–Term Scholarships Selection: The administrative check of applications will be undertaken by the Coimbra Group Office to select candidates who meet the eligibility criteria. The host universities will undertake the selection of candidates. When the selection has been agreed upon, the host university may send a letter of invitation directly to the successful candidate. The Coimbra Group Office will contact all candidates and inform them about the result of their application. Successful candidates currently employed by a University are responsible for ensuring that their home institution will grant them leave of absence to undertake the proposed visit.
Number of Awardees: Limited
Value of Coimbra Group Short-Term Scholarships: Successful candidates will access excellent academic knowledge in quality facilities. The scholarships include financial support for tuition, living costs, airfares etc.
Duration of Program: From 1 to maximum 3 months. The dates of the candidate’s stay should be agreed upon between the candidate and the academic supervisor at the Coimbra Group University.
It is important to go through the Application instructions on the Program Webpage (see Link below) before applying