Dag Hammarskjöld Fund for Journalists is offering Journalism Fellowships, an Opportunity for African/developing countries’ journalists to experience and report United Nation Assembly in New York USA.
Application Deadline: 24th April, 2023. | Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: Developing nations of Africa, Asia (including Pacific Island nations), Latin America and the Caribbean.
To be taken at (country): New York, USA
Area of Interest: Journalism
About Fellowship: The Dag Hammarskjöld Fund for Journalists accepts applications from journalists of the developing nations of Africa, Asia (including Pacific Island nations), Latin America and the Caribbean to cover the United Nations General Assembly beginning in September each year. The fellowships offer a unique opportunity for promising young journalists from developing countries to see the United Nations at work and to report on its proceedings for news media in their home countries.
Offered Since: 1961
Type: Professional Fellowship
Eligibility: The Dag Hammarskjöld Fund for Journalists fellowships are open to individuals who:
- Are native to one of the mainly developing countries of Africa, Asia (including Pacific Island nations), Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Currently live in and write for media in a developing country.
- Are between the ages of 25 and 35.
- Have a very good command of the English language since United Nations press conferences and many documents are in English only.
- Are currently employed as professional journalists for print, television, radio or internet media organizations. Both full-time and freelance journalists are invited to apply.
- Have approval from their media organizations to spend up to three months in New York reporting from the United Nations.
- Receive a commitment from their media organizations that the reports they file during the term of the Fellowship will be used and that they will continue to be paid for their services.
Number of Fellowships: not specified
Value of Fellowship: The Fund will provide: round-trip airfare to New York; accommodations; health insurance for the duration of the fellowship, and a daily allowance to cover food and other necessities. The Fund will not be responsible for other expenses of a personal nature, such as telephone calls.
Duration of Fellowship: first three months of the General Assembly session
How to Apply: Apply here