Dag Hammarskjöld Fund for Journalists is offering Journalism Fellowships, an Opportunity for African/developing countries’ journalists to experience and report United Nation Assembly in New York USA 2017
Application Deadline: 20th March, 2017. | Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: Developing nations of Africa, Asia (including Pacific Island nations), Latin America and the Caribbean
To be taken at (country): New York, USA
Area of Interest: Journalism
About Fellowship: The Dag Hammarskjöld Fund for Journalists accepts applications from journalists of the developing nations of Africa, Asia (including Pacific Island nations), Latin America and the Caribbean to cover the United Nations General Assembly beginning in September each year. The fellowships offer a unique opportunity for promising young journalists from developing countries to see the United Nations at work and to report on its proceedings for news media in their home countries.
These awards require the presence of the selected journalist in New York during the first few months of the General Assembly session and should be regarded as an opportunity for news organizations and journalists to provide their audiences with special assignment news coverage from U.N. headquarters.
Offered Since: 1961
Fellowship Type: For journalists employed by a recognized print, radio, television, or internet media organization
Eligibility: The Dag Hammarskjöld Fund for Journalists fellowships are open to individuals who:
- Are natives of one of the developing countries of Africa, Asia (including Pacific Island nations), Latin America and the Caribbean. For 2015 only, the Fund will not accept applications from the countries of the 2015 Fellows – Brazil, Ghana, India, and Kenya — in an effort to rotate recipient countries.
- Currently live in and write for media in a developing country.
- Are between the ages of 25 and 35.
- Have a very good command of the English language since United Nations press conferences and many documents are in English only.
- Are currently employed full-time as professional journalists for print, television, radio or internet media organizations.
- Have approval from their media organizations to spend up to three months in New York reporting from the United Nations.
- Receive a commitment from their media organizations that the reports they file during the term of the Fellowship will be used and that they will continue to be paid as employees.
- Successful applicants must obtain a leave of absence from their employers.
- By endorsing the application of a staff journalist for a fellowship, the editor undertakes to meet all telephone or other transmission charges and to publish or broadcast copy filed by the reporter.
- Applicants must be full-time, professional journalists between 25 and 35 years old, be employed by a recognized print, radio, television, or internet media organization, and have a good working knowledge of English.
Number of Fellowships: not specified
Value of Fellowship: The Fund will provide: round-trip airfare to New York; accommodations; health insurance for the duration of the fellowship, and a daily allowance to cover food and other necessities. The Fund will not be responsible for other expenses of a personal nature, such as telephone calls.
Duration of Fellowship: first three months of the General Assembly session
How to Apply
CLICK HERE for the application in Word format
CLICK HERE for the application in PDF format (requires Adobe Reader, free download)
An originally completed AND signed application, along with all six (6) of the Documentation Requirements, should be sent by postal or courier service (such as DHL, FedEx, Airborne) to:
Dag Hammarskjöld Fund for Journalists
512 Northampton Street, No. 124A
Edwardsville, PA 18704 USA
Fellowship Provider: Dag Hammarskjöld Fund for Journalists