JSPS–UNU Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme for International Students 2018/2019
Jointly organized by the United Nations University and the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS), the JSPS–UNU Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme is designed to provide promising, highly qualified, young researchers with the opportunity to conduct advanced research relevant to the main thematic focus areas of the UNU Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability (UNU-IAS, Tokyo) in cooperation with host researchers at Japanese universities and research institutions.
Application Deadline: 28th February 2018
Eligible Countries: International
To Be Taken At (Country): Tokyo, Japan
Fields of Research: Research proposals for JSPS–UNU Postdoctoral Fellowships should relate clearly to one of the research areas of UNU-IAS listed below, and also aim to be policy-relevant. The following research projects at UNU-IAS are accepting applications for JSPS–UNU Postdoctoral Fellows:
- Global Change and Resilience
- Governance for Sustainable Development
- Education for Sustainable Development in Africa
- Water for Sustainable Development (new project)
Type: Research, Fellowship
- Applicants must be citizens of countries that have diplomatic relations with Japan.
- Japanese nationals are not eligible, nor are those of dual nationality if one is Japanese. Also, those who have permanent residency in Japan are not eligible. Applicants must hold a doctorate received on or after 2 April 2012 (i.e., the degree must have been received within six years prior to 1 April 2018), when the fellowship begins or be scheduled to receive doctorate before the fellowship begins.
- Japanese nationals are not eligible, nor are those of dual nationality if one is Japanese. Also, those who have permanent residency in Japan are not eligible.
- Those who have been previously awarded a Standard or Pathway Fellowship under the JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship for Research in Japan scheme are not eligible.
- Applicants with at least 10 months research and/or professional experience are especially encouraged to apply.
Selection Criteria: UNU-IAS will act as the nominating authority of the programme; and applications should be submitted to UNU-IAS, which will assist in securing acceptance from host researchers for short-listed candidates. UNU-IAS nominates candidates to JSPS based on the following criteria:
- the research objectives of the applicant and the quality of his/her research proposal,
- the relevance of the research proposal to the ongoing or planned research activities of the applicant’s indicated Research Programme at UNU-IAS, and
- the applicant’s academic merit and his/her potential for successful research while in Japan.
UNU intends to inform successful candidates of the results of the nomination in May 2018. JSPS takes up to 3 months after receiving the nominations to process its award decisions.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award:
- A round-trip air ticket (based on JSPS regulations)
- A monthly maintenance allowance of JPY362,000
- A settling-in allowance of JPY200,000
- Overseas travel, accident, and sickness insurance coverage, etc.
Duration of Program: Fellowships are awarded for a period of 24 months.
How to Apply: Interested and eligible candidates are invited to complete the online application form. If an applicant does not have access to the Internet, he or she should contact UNU-IAS. The online form and the required documents indicated in the form must be in English. If supporting documents are not in English, English translations must be attached.
Award Providers: JSPS, UNU