University of the Witwatersrand
Located in Johannesburg, the University of Witwatersrand is a well-recognized institution for its intellectual commitment and leadership shown in the nurturing of creative innovators, critical thinkers, problem solvers as well as problem posers. The University of Witwatersrand has shown a very high level of strength in the pursuit of excellent research and standard academics through its existence for over eight decades. This pursuit has been shown in Wits graduates who have gone all the way to leading top world organizations. The graduates have also fought injustice and built many cultural institutions through their engagement in economic and social activities.
Study at the University of Witwatersrand
The University of Witwatersrand is very desirable by all international and local students. However, for students still contemplating studying here, knowing what it entails to study at the University of Witwatersrand might be a good way forward.
Arts and Culture
The wits campus is very rich in many educational opportunities and a lot of sightseeing is collectively available. This is not limited to visual and performing arts on campus; relating to its richness in history, the institution also possesses many social interactions amidst students.
The University of Witwatersrand cares so much about students upkeep both academically and socially, this can be attributed to the various art events, seminars, art exhibition and many awareness programs which give students a renewed experience.
Safety on Campus
One of the core responsibilities of any institution is to assure the safety of all students and staff. While some have failed in making this a success, the University of Witwatersrand makes the safety of students and staffs paramount importance of running the affairs of their institution as they have security personnel of the institution duly performing their duties.
Reading and learning get so easy with CLM libraries services set in convenient locations across diverse departments and faculties on the campus. These libraries allow students to read within the halls or borrow books for a specific number of days or weeks.
One inevitable occurrence is an illness, while this is not a desirable thing it is very certain it will happen to students- however, minimally. In the case of any sort of illness, there are healthcare services at medical centers. These centers are cost-effective, very accessible, convenient and comprehensive by students who need good healthcare services.
In a university where academics are held with such high standards, recreation and sports become very important. The university also encourages physical and health fitness activities knowing that this is a way to stay active and fit. The sports pavilion offers all kinds of sports every student and staff might want to indulge in.
The school of postgraduates studies offers a wide range of courses to graduates who wish to further their academic pursuits. The school offers virtually the same courses as the undergraduate levels, these courses are offers across six faculties namely:
- Faculty of Commerce
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Medical Sciences
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Arts
- Faculty of Science
The programs offered across these faculties are:
- Accounting Science
- Economic Science
- Engineering Science
- Architectural Studies
- Urban and Regional Planning
- Construction Studies
- Property Studies
- Health Sciences
- Health Sciences
- Clinical Medical Practice
- Dental Science
- Oral Health Sciences
- Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery
- Occupational Therapy
- Digital Arts
- Theatre and Performance
- Film and Television
- Fine Arts
- Social Work
- Speech-Language Pathology
- Biological and Life Sciences
- Earth Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Pure Mathematics
- Applied Mathematics
- Physical Sciences
Student Life at the University of Witwatersrand
The University of Witwatersrand knows that there is more to university life than just academics, therefore, the institution has set up diverse faculties to enhance students stay on campus. This way, students can expect a well detailed social, academic life-giving which will give them the chance to explore their world and express themselves in their best way.
As a usual practice by many academic and non-academic organizations, the University of Witwatersrand also makes up to students with its scholarship schemes. The institution also allows for scholarships from other sponsoring bodies- for academic programs from Bachelors to Doctoral levels. Some of the scholarships are listed below.
- Australia Awards Scholarships for 1,000 African Students
- The OPEC Fund for International Development
- Aga Khan Scholarship for Developing Countries.
- Aga Khan Foundation Scholarship For Developing Countries
- DRD/DAAD Masters & Ph.D. Full Scholarships for Africa
- The OPEC Fund for International Development
- National Research Foundation (NRF) Extension Scholarship for Masters and Doctoral Studies in South Africa
- Current Phd Scholarships in South Africa
- Scholarships for South Africans | National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS)
- South African: Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academic Scholarship
- UCT and African MasterCard Foundation Scholarships in South Africa
- Allan Gray Entrepreneurship Scholarship/Fellowship for South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, and Swaziland Students
- Kader Asmal Fellowship South Africa
- Monash South Africa MSA Scholarships
- Solomon Mahlangu Scholarship Fund in South Africa
- Meltwater Entrepreneurial School of Technology (MEST) Program
- Independent Field Advertiser (IFA) Bursary Scheme for Young South African Professionals
- IBRO African Regional Committee Research Bursaries for African Researchers
How to Apply
To apply for any of these scholarships, interested candidates should log on to the official site of the scholarship scheme and follow the series of steps available. Also, the candidate should make sure they are providing the essential and required credentials.
In the sum of it, the University of Witwatersrand has been duly analyzed and it is believed that this will be a guide to prospective students on what to expect from the institution.
Travel Bursary: Global Investigative Journalism Conference (GIJC) 2019 for Journalists in Developing…
Add After School Africa to your Homescreen!
Recover your password.
A password will be e-mailed to you.