The United Kingdom is undoubtedly one of the world’s most popular destinations for students looking to study higher education, with applications from over 500,000 international students each year. The United Kingdom is also one of the world’s leading destinations amongst international students, second only to the United States of America; the UK has also maintained its position as a popular destination among international students due to their history in the provision of quality education.
Universities in the UK are among the elites in the world as regards education, while also maintaining a solid standing in world rankings of universities. Furthermore, degrees and qualifications awarded by universities in the United Kingdom are recognized by employers and academics internationally.
Students studying in the United Kingdom are also given the opportunity to develop skills, knowledge and critical thinking in order to enhance their careers. Universities in the United Kingdom also provide high-quality postgraduate study opportunities. There is no limitation on the number of international students who can decide to reside in the UK upon completion of their degree.
Changes have also been made on the post-study work visa, meaning students can now stay in the UK after completing their degree, although there are certain criteria’s to achieve before this becomes possible, one of which is, upon completing your studies, individuals would be required to switch from a Tier 4 Visa to a Tier 2 General Visa. Application for a work visa from the Border of the United Kingdom Agency is also required, options are also made available, depending on your employment status after graduating, and these options include:
- Tier 2 (General) Visa – these are available to recent graduates with a recognized Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD degree from a university in the United Kingdom, with proof of a job offer from a licensed employer willing to pay a salary not less than £20,800.
- Tier 1 Entrepreneur Visa – these are open to students who are developing a groundbreaking idea with the backing and sponsorship of their university.
Top Ten Universities to Study in the United Kingdom
- University of Oxford
- University of Cambridge
- Imperial College London
- London School of Economics and Political Science
- University of Edinburgh
- King’s College London
- University of Manchester
- University of Warwick
- University of Bristol
Free Tuition in the Uk
The most viable means through which to study for free in the United Kingdom is by acquiring a scholarship. Providing qualifications are being met and eligibility criteria are being fulfilled, there are various scholarships which can offset living expenses, travel costs and full fee waivers. Listed below are five scholarships which can help achieve this:
- Clarendon Fund Scholarships at the University of Oxford: The scholarship offered by this institution covers the entire tuition fees along with a grant which would offset the full living cost while studying at the University of Oxford. The Clarendon fund makes available over 100 new scholarships every year for degree courses for every international student.
- Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan: This scholarship is solely for students applying from India, applicants are only to do a one-year master’s degree or a three-year doctorate degree. The selection for eligible applicants for this scholarship is carried out in India by the Ministry of Human Resource Development.
- Gates Cambridge Scholarship: This is a prestigious scholarship awarded by the University of Cambridge to every international student seeking to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree at the University.
- Goa Education Trust Scholarship: Another scholarship which is only eligible for Indian nationals with an Indian passport, the scholarship on offer covers tuition fees for a master’s degree in universities in the UK while also making provision for living expense up to £25,000.
- Rhodes Scholarships at the University of Oxford: This scholarship is among the oldest scholarships awarded in the world, they are postgraduate scholarships awarded to outstanding students. A class consisting of 89 students is selected annually from limited countries.
Other Scholarships in the Uk Include
- Clarendon Scholarships at University of Oxford
- Edinburgh Global Research Scholarships
- University of Sussex Chancellor’s International Scholarships
- Bristol University Think Big Scholarships
- University of West London International Ambassador Scholarships
- University of West England Chancellor’s Scholarships
- Sheffield Hallam University Transform Together Scholarships
- University of Westminster Undergraduate Scholarships for Developing Country Students
- Warwick Chancellor’s International Scholarships
- Developing Solutions Scholarships at University of Nottingham
For international students applying to British universities, the tuition fee of the university depends on the chosen program of study by the applicant. For classroom-based programs, the fees are usually pegged at £14,096 annually, while for Laboratory-based programmes tuition fees are a bit steeper as they are often around £16,222 per each academic year. Clinical programs require tuition fees of £21,767 and, MBA programmes are pegged at £18,914.
Finally, hundreds of thousands of international students study in the UK each year, giving the UK a consistently high ranking in popularity. With a diverse population and a reputation for prestigious schooling, the UK is a natural location for international students to flock to. And what better place to study for students worldwide who are seeking an English-language education than the country that invented the language?
Add After School Africa to your Homescreen!
Recover your password.
A password will be e-mailed to you.