Scholarship in Scotland
There are 15 higher education institutions to choose from in Scotland, including world famous universities such as the University of St Andrews, University of Glasgow and University of Edinburgh. Scottish universities offer some of the highest rates of student satisfaction for teaching in the UK, while graduates enjoy the highest rate of employment or further study in the whole of the UK.
Scottish universities are known for excellence and each institution engages in intensive research, i.e students are taught in an environment that is shared by academics looking to push boundaries in their field. Research at Scotland’s universities has led to inventions and innovations such as the MRI scanner and development of keyhole surgery.
Scotland’s is less than one hour from London via plane and just over 90 minutes from Paris. With international airports close by and a host of European cities a short flight away, Scotland is the perfect base to explore the best locations in Europe. Scotland’s fantastic pedigree in education, coupled with its vast history, make it a fantastic place for any international student to study and call home.
Top Universities in Scotland
- University of St Andrews
- University of Glasgow
- University of Edinburgh
- University of Dundee
- University of Strathclyde
- University of Stirling
- University of Aberdeen
- Heriot-Watt University
- University of the West of Scotland
- Glasgow Caledonian University
- Edinburgh Napier University
- Robert Gordon University
- Queen Margaret University
- Abertay University
Scholarships and funding in Scotland
There are different types of scholarships and funding opportunities available to international students studying in Scotland, they are:
- Commonwealth Scholarship Fellowship: This allows citizens of Commonwealth countries to study in Scotland. Depending on which commonwealth country you are from, scholarships are available at undergraduate and postgraduate level.
- Chevening Scholarships: These are the UK government’s global scholarship programme and fund for full or part time courses at postgraduate level in any subject and any university.
- Fulbright Awards: This award is for US citizens who study at postgraduate level in Scotland.
- Royal Society Grants: This type of grant support international students studying science programmes in Scotland.
- Saltire Scholarships: Scotland’s Saltire Scholarships is a scholarship programme offered by the Scottish Government in collaboration with Scottish universities in the areas of science, technology, creative industries, healthcare and medical sciences, and renewable and clean energy. They are available to students from Canada, China, India and the USA and are for students studying at undergraduate, postgraduate, or PhD level in Scotland for one year.
- Tullow Scholarships: This scholarship is available at postgraduate level for students from Africa and South America.
Tuition fees in Scotland
Tuition fees in Scotland for international students are dependent on whether you are from the EU or the other parts of the world.
- International students from outside the EU are required to pay tuition fees at both undergraduate and postgraduate level. Tuition fees vary depending upon your chosen institution.
- EU undergraduate students wishing to study in Scotland are entitled to have tuition fees paid by the Student Awards Agency for Scotland.
- EU postgraduate students studying in Scotland will need to pay tuition fees at the rate set by the individual institution.
Living as a student in Scotland
Scotland has a rich and historic culture and heritage and is a fantastic place for an international student to learn, with a wide variety of activities to enjoy away from study. Scotland’s seven cities – Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dundee, Stirling, Aberdeen, Inverness and Perth – all offer traditional metropolitan life to varying degrees, but Scotland’s real beauty is to be found in its mountains, countryside and scenic landscapes.
The country is overflowing with monuments, castles, museums and striking architecture, paying homage to a long and storied history. Many of Scotland’s galleries and museums are free of charge, your stay in Scotland will be a memorable one.
Latin America Middle East & North Africa Scholarship for Nigerians Scholarship in Netherlands Scholarship in New Zealand Scholarship in Norway Scholarship in Sweden Scholarship in Switzerland Scholarships for Africans Scholarships in Africa Scholarships in Asia Scholarships in Australia Scholarships in Belgium Scholarships in Canada Scholarships in China
The Karen Napier Scholarships, offered at the University of Stirling, Scotland, are generously funded by the Karen Napier Charity in memory of Karen, a graduate of the MSc in Investment Analysis. The Masters scholarship is available for the…
The University of Stirling has the opportunity to award 10 scholarships for the 2019/2020 academic year. Application Deadline: 22nd March 2019 Eligible Countries: For the MSc in Dementia Studies eligible countries include:…
The University of Dundee is offering Masters Scholarships to international students wishing to undertake degree programs at the University. Application Deadline: 31st October, 2019 Offered annually? Yes To be taken at (country):…
University of Dundee in Scotland is offering the Petroleum Technology Development Fund (PTDF) postgraduate Scholarship to Nigerian students. Application Deadline: 31st December 2018 Eligible Countries: Nigeria To be taken at (country): …
The University of Edinburgh will offer one Masters scholarship for the MSc in Surgical Sciences distance learning programme. Application Deadline: 1st July 2018. Eligible Countries: Developing Countries (see below) To be taken at…
The University of Dundee is offering Gbowee Peace Foundation Africa Scholarship to African female students wishing to undertake degree programmes at the University. Application Deadline: 17th November 2018 Eligible Countries: Liberia,…
As part of its commitment to attracting the very best students to join our diverse international community, University of Stirling is delighted to offer the University of Stirling PGT International Excellence Scholarship. Application…
The MBA Emerging Economies Leader for Social Change Scholarship has a value of £10,000 and will be awarded to a high calibre International student with 3 or more years work experience joining the Stirling MBA in September 2018. …