The Women, Peace and Security (WPS) program at Columbia University is pleased to announce the of the Peace and Social Change Fellowship Program.
Application Deadline: 21st October, 2019 Noon (EST)
Eligible Countries: African countries
To be taken at (country): USA, Kenya
About the Award: The Peace and Social Change Fellowship Program is designed to bring together activists, practitioners and academics to learn from and with each other, strengthen relationships, and exchange ideas with other grassroots women change makers from across diverse contexts and geographies. This 2020 call for applications is open to African grassroots activists working broadly on the issue of peace and security. This includes less commonly recognized aspects of peace and security, such as gender-based violence, land rights, economic equity, sexual and reproductive rights, and climate change, among other topics.
The fellowship will begin with a three-day Peace and Social Change workshop that will take place in Nairobi, Kenya in January 2020. Fellows will be invited to bring two to three representatives from their organizations with them to the workshop in order to increase cross-learning within their respective organizations/movements.
Eligibility: The Peace and Social Change Fellowship cohort is designed for practitioners and grassroots activists working broadly on issues of peace and security. This includes less commonly recognized aspects of peace and security, such as economic equity, sexual and reproductive rights, and environmental realities, among other topics. Given the collaborative nature of the program, the fellows will be selected to bring together a diverse range of experiences and to ensure that a variety of focus areas are represented.
The Peace and Social Change Fellowship is designed for women grassroots activists who:
- Currently work on behalf of an African-based grassroots-level organization or movement in the area of social justice and social change
- Currently reside in Africa
- Have a history of movement-building or change-making in their community
- Have some aspect of their work related to the theme of peace and security
- Are available to travel to Nairobi, Kenya in January 2020 and July 2020 for two threeday workshops
- Are interested in receiving ongoing interdisciplinary research support from WPS staff and graduate student researchers
- Are 18 years of age or older
- Are proficient in English
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: All costs related to travel, lodging and meals will be covered throughout.
Duration of Programme: 6 months
How to Apply: To apply, please visit: Peace and Social Change Fellowship application
Visit Programme Webpage for Details