The European Society of Surgical Oncology (ESSO) is offering number of training fellowships to support trainees in Surgical Oncology.
Application Deadline: 31st October, 2018
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: All countries
To be taken at (country): The fellowship must take place in a country other than the applicant’s current place of training. European applicants may choose to visit European or non-European units, while non-European applicants must choose to visit a European center.
Eligible Field of Study: Fellowships are available for clinical training or research training to young surgeons in the field of Surgical Oncology.
About the Award: The aim of this Fellowship is to allow young surgeons to visit a specialist center outside of their own country and help them expand their experience and learn new techniques.
ESSO was founded in 1981 to advance the art, science and practice of surgery for the treatment of cancer. Central to achieving this objective is ESSO’s willingness to collaborate, interact and foster an open exchange with a range of other specialities.
- Applicants must be a specialist, trainee or junior doctor with a declared intention of specializing in a sub-specialty of surgical oncology (breast, upper GI, hepatobiliary and pancreatic, colorectal, endocrine, head and neck, thoracic, skin cancer and melanoma, gynaecology, urology, sarcoma).
- Applicants must be or become ESSO members before the start date of the award.
- Applicants must be younger than 40 years of age or be in a training grade
- Both European and non-European citizens can apply. European applicants may choose to visit European or non-European units, while non-European applicants must choose to visit a European center.
- Previous Fellowship recipients will be ineligible to apply for a second award.
All successful fellows will be expected to write a report about their experience and provide a testimonial and pictures for publication on the ESSO website within 3 months of return from the fellowship.
Value of Scholarship: The Education and Training Committee grants two types of fellowships each year:
- 8 standard training fellowships (value 1,500 EUR): from 1 to 3 months
- 1 major training fellowship (value 6.000 EUR): from 4 to 12 months
How to Apply: Applications must be submitted in English only and include the following information:
- A motivation letter describing the applicant’s area of interest, research plan and reasons behind the visit
- A letter of support from their Head of Department
- A letter of invitation from the Head of the Department they wish to visit
- A proposal budget sheet estimating how the funds will be spent
- A CV including present and previous positions held (include dates from and to), relevant publications and presentations to learned societies
All documents must be sent to ESSO Secretariat in a single PDF document.
Award Provider: The European Society of Surgical Oncology (ESSO).
Important Notes: All successful fellows will be expected to write a report about their experience and provide a testimonial and pictures for publication on the ESSO website within 3 months of return from the fellowship.
Please note you will need to download all documents in a single PDF document.