The Wellcome Trust was established in 1936 following Sir Henry Wellcome’s death. In his will, Wellcome deposited all of the drug company’s share capital, The Wellcome Foundation Trust, through person trustees. The trustees were charged according to the wishes of Sir Henry Wellcome with spending the revenue.
Their mission is to achieve extraordinary improvements in human and animal health, with their geographical focus in the United Kingdom; however, they operate worldwide including major initiatives in Africa, India, and Southeast Asia.
Programme Areas include; with the goal of enhancing human and animal wellbeing, the Trust funds the brightest minds in biomedical research and the medical humanities. This offers a wide range of award programs, including Researcher Medals, Fellowships, and Strategic Awards, as well as promoting many significant projects. The Financial Times also identified the Trust as the largest provider of non-governmental support for scientific research in the United Kingdom, and one of the world’s largest providers.
There are six funding areas which include;
- Biomedical science – Investigating health and disease in humans and animals
- Technology transfer – Helping the development of innovative, early-stage projects with potential medical applications
- International – Supporting research, capacity building and engagement activities in low- and middle-income countries.
- Public engagement – Imaginative and experimental projects that bring biology and medicine to new audiences
- Medical history and humanities – Research at the interface of medical science, history and the wider humanities
- Biomedical ethics – Supporting research into ethical dilemmas in the development and delivery of healthcare
Wellcome Trust Funding
The Wellcome Trust group is a politically and financially independent foundation, they also have a tradition of supporting researchers, and they take on big health challenges. The Wellcome Trust group campaign for better science, and help everyone get involved with science and health research.
The founder of the Wellcome Trust Group, Sir Henry Wellcome was a medical entrepreneur, collector and philanthropist. How the Group operates today, reflects the breadth of his interest, and his conviction that health can be improved when research generates, tests and investigates new ideas. The group’s governance is based on an updated version of Henry’s will.
Today, the Group has a £26.8 billion investment portfolio which funds all the work that they currently do. In the next five years, they plan to spend around £5 billion helping people across the world explore great ideas.
Available Funding Criteria
You must be eligible to apply for a Wellcome Grant. Below are some of the eligibility criteria:
If you are intending to apply for funding, you must be:
- From an eligible organization
- Must sign up to Wellcome Trust’s grant condition
Applicants unless they are applying for a fellowship or studentship must:
- Hold an academic or research post
- Have a salary, or the guarantee of a salary, for the duration of the award period.
When you hold an academic or study post but have to get your paycheck from international grant funding, you can ask us for this in your submission. Whether that refers to you, like the other candidates for the grant, you will devote at least 10 percent of your working hours to the grant. This must be checked by the host organization:
- It refers to the employment contracts of any candidate stipulating that their salaries will come from international grant funding and that the host agency will not guarantee such wages if applicants struggle to receive them from external sources
- It is their strategy to include wage recovery expenses in all grant applications with workers with a fixed, open-ended or long-term rolling contract.
You will not be funded if you are:
- Employed by a commercial organization
- If you are applying for, holding, or are employed on a research grant from the tobacco industry
- If you are the target for international sanctions
- Located in a country that is the target of international sanctions.
Benefits and Value
Wellcome Trust Funding offers so many individuals an opportunity to live their dreams. Wellcome Trust is changing the lives of people all around the world in every continent. The good part of their funding programme is that startups can also benefit from it. This could potentially mean an impact on a larger scale, especially in rural communities.
Up to £5 billion funding is made available by Wellcome Trust for research and more. Apply now!
Wellcome Trust offers Senior Research Fellowships in Public Health and Tropical Medicine for Postdoctoral students with from low- and middle-income ...
Academic Fellowships July PhD Scholarships Postgraduate scholarship Sciences Short Courses & Training
Wellcome Trust International Training Fellowships in Public Health and Tropical Medicine 2021 for Developing Countries
Wellcome Trust is offering fellowships in Public Health and Tropical Medicine to mid-career researchers from low- and middle-income countries. Wellcome Trust also ...
Academic Fellowships Doctoral Scholarship July May Medicine Scholarship Nursing Scholarship Sciences
Wellcome Trust offers fellowships in Public Health and Tropical Medicine to mid-career researchers from low- and middle-income countries. Wellcome Trust also ...
Wellcome Trust Doctoral Studentships 2020/2021 for International Students (Fully-funded Study at LSHTM, UK)
The Wellcome Trust Doctoral Studentship scheme enables researchers to undertake humanities or social science degrees in any area of health. Application Deadline: ...