Wellcome Trust Doctoral Studentships 2020/2021 for International Students (Fully-funded Study at LSHTM, UK)
The Wellcome Trust Doctoral Studentship scheme enables researchers to undertake humanities or social science degrees in any area of health.
Application Deadline: 16th March 2020 17:00 (GMT)
Eligible Countries: International
To be Taken at (Country): LSHTM, UK
About the Award: This scheme enables researchers to undertake humanities or social science doctoral degrees in any area of health.
Eligibility: We encourage applicants to:
- liaise with their proposed supervisors as soon as possible as there are a number of steps in the Wellcome Trust Doctoral Studentships application which the supervisor/s will need to facilitate and/or support; and
- read carefully through the Wellcome Trust guidance before starting an application on the Wellcome Trust Grant Tracker, paying particular attention to the information to be included in the research proposal and the budget.
In order for LSHTM to approve an application on the Wellcome Trust Grant Tracker the following requirements must be met:
- Offer of Admission for a research degree at LSHTM
The applicant must hold an offer of admission for the same study as the research project outlined in the funding application at least one week before the Wellcome Trust deadline at the latest. Applicants should note that it can take up to three months for an application for research degree study to be processed (from receipt of a complete application, including references, through to a decision being conveyed to the applicant), and therefore applications should be made as early as possible to avoid potential stress and disappointment. Further information about the LSHTM Admissions process and policies for Research Degrees are available on our website.
- Research Proposal Review
– The 2,500 word research proposal on the Wellcome Trust application must have been reviewed by at least one senior LSHTM academic. As a starting point we’d like to draw proposed supervisors’ attention to the LSHTM Policy and Procedures for Review of Research Proposal Quality on the intranet. For further information about the process the proposed supervisor/s should contact the LSHTM Strategic Research Office. The review should be completed at least two weeks before the Wellcome Trust deadline.
– The research proposal on the Wellcome Trust application must be for the same research as the application for study to LSHTM.
– The applicant’s proposed supervisors must be the same supervisors listed on an offer of admission for study.
- Budget review
– Applicants should discuss budget costs for training, fieldwork, conference attendance etc with their proposed supervisor/s to ensure that all relevant costs are included, and costed appropriately.
– Applicants should contact the Scholarships team by email to request that this review be done (once the draft is ready).
- Final amendment and review
(a) Any amendments required following the proposal review and/or budget review should be made, and all sections of the application form completed (following the Wellcome Trust guidance) so that the application is ready for submission, at least one week before the Wellcome Trust deadline.
(b) The applicant’s potential supervisors must review the application and confirm to the Scholarships team by email that the applicant has made all the necessary amendments at least three working days before the Wellcome Trust deadline.
The LSHTM Scholarships team is unable to approve any applications that have not followed the above steps within the timelines set.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: Funding covers tuition fees, a stipend, and research expenses, and is usually available for 3 years (FTE).
Duration of Award: 3 years
How to Apply: To apply applicants must use the Wellcome Trust online grants system (Grant Tracker).
- Applicants should carefully read through all the information available on the Wellcome Trust Doctoral Studentships web page.
- However, applicants should note that the Scholarships Team at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) must approve any applications for the Wellcome Trust Doctoral Studentships where LSHTM is noted as the ‘administering organisation’, and therefore there are a number of LSHTM requirements which will need to be met in advance of the official Wellcome Trust deadline.