Wellcome Trust International Training Fellowships in Public Health and Tropical Medicine 2021 for Developing Countries
Wellcome Trust is offering fellowships in Public Health and Tropical Medicine to mid-career researchers from low- and middle-income countries. Wellcome Trust also offers fellowships for Masters, Intermediate and Senior Researchers.
Application Deadline: The preliminary application deadline is 5 November 2020 and full application deadline is 4th February 2021.
Eligible Countries: Low- and middle-income countries
To be taken at (country): Fellowships can be taken in Low- and middle-income countries (See list of countries below)
Eligible Field of Study: Fellowships are awarded in the field of Public Health
About the Award: This scheme offers research experience and training to early-stage researchers from low- and middle-income countries. The scheme aims to support research that will improve public health and tropical medicine at a local, national and global level.
Type: Postdoctoral, Research
Eligibility: A researcher can apply for a Training Fellowship in Public Health and Tropical Medicine if:
- They’re a researcher based in a low- or middle-income country.
- They must want to undertake a guided period of research so that you can consolidate your existing experience and explore new areas of research.
- They must be a national of a low- or middle-income country and have:
- a PhD and be an early-career researcher or
- a degree in a subject relevant to public health or tropical medicine and some initial research experience or
- a degree in medicine and be qualified to enter higher specialist training and some initial research experience.
- If you don’t have a PhD, we’d expect you to register for one if you’re awarded this fellowship.
- You must have an eligible sponsoring organisation in a low- or middle-income country that will administer the fellowship for the full duration of the award.
- If you’ve been away from research (eg for a career break, maternity leave, or long-term sick leave), we’ll allow for this when we consider your application.
- your research experience
- the quality and importance of your research question(s)
- your knowledge of the scientific area
- the feasibility of your proposal
- the suitability of your choice of research sponsors and environments
- your vision of how this fellowship will contribute to your career development.
We encourage fellows to collaborate with researchers in other low- and middle-income countries.
At the end of this fellowship, you should be able to show:
- you have the potential to be an independent leader in your area of research
- you have the skills and experience to apply for more advanced (intermediate level) funding schemes.
Number of Awardees: Not specified
Value of Fellowship: Support includes:
- A basic salary (determined by your host organisation)
- Personal removal expenses
- Research expenses, directly related to your proposal
- course fees – in most cases, you must register for your higher degree at a local academic organisation.
Duration of Fellowship: 3 years. A Training Fellowship in Public Health and Tropical Medicine is normally for three years, and can be held on a part-time basis. The fellowship can be for up to four years if you want to do Master’s training or a diploma course relevant to the research proposal.
List of Countries: Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, American Samoa, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Belarus, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Chile, China, Colombia, Comoros, Congo, Dem. Rep., Congo, Rep., Costa Rica, Côte d’Ivoire, Cuba, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, Arab Rep., El Salvador, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Ghana, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Indonesia, Iran, Islamic Rep., Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Korea, Dem Rep., Kosovo, Kyrgyz Republic, Lao PDR, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Lithuania, Macedonia, FYR, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mayotte, Mexico, Micronesia, Fed. Sts., Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nepal, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Romania, Russian Federation, Rwanda, Samoa, São Tomé and Principe, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Syrian Arab Republic, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tonga, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Venezuela, RB, Vietnam, West Bank and Gaza, Yemen, Rep., Zambia and Zimbabwe.
How to Apply: Applicants must submit their application through the Wellcome Trust Grant Tracker (WTGT).