Wellcome Trust Senior Research Fellowships for Researchers in Low and Middle Income Countries 2019
Wellcome Trust offers Senior Research Fellowships in Public Health and Tropical Medicine for Postdoctoral students with from low- and middle-income (developing) countries, UK, 2019.
Application Deadline: 25th July 2019
Eligible Countries: Low- and middle-income countries. See list below
To be taken at (country): United Kingdom
Eligible Field of Study: Public health
About the Award: This scheme enables researchers from low- and middle-income countries to establish themselves as leading investigators in their scientific field. The scheme aims to support research that will improve public health and tropical medicine at a local, national and global level.
Type: Fellowship, Research
Eligibility: You can apply for the Senior Research Fellowships in Public Health and Tropical Medicine if you’re an established researcher leading your own independent research programme. The programme of work you propose must be innovative and ambitious.
- You must be a national of a low- or middle-income country.
- You should have a PhD or a degree in medicine and be qualified to enter higher specialist clinical training. You must also have significant postdoctoral research experience.
- If you don’t have a PhD or a degree in medicine, we may still consider you if you have a first or a Master’s degree and can show substantial research experience.
You should be able to show:
- your work is important, original and has impact
- you have made important contributions to your area of research, eg publications, patents, software development or an impact on health policy or practice
- you have an international reputation as a research leader in your field
- you’re committed to developing and mentoring less experienced researchers.
- You must have an eligible sponsoring organisation in a low- or middle-income country that will administer the fellowship for the full duration of the award.
- If you’ve been away from research (eg for a career break, maternity leave, or long-term sick leave), we’ll allow for this when we consider your application.
- This scheme may be of particular interest if you’re an intermediate career fellow (such as an Intermediate Fellow in Public Health and Tropical Medicine) and this fellowship is the next step in your career as a research scientist.
- We particularly encourage applications from researchers from low- and middle-income countries who want to return to their home countries.
Selection Criteria: Candidate’s application must show:
- good track record
- the quality and importance of the research question(s)
- good approach to solving these questions
- the suitability of candidate’s research environment.
Number of Awardees: Not stated
Value of Scholarship: Salary and research expenses covered
Duration of Scholarship: 5 years (candidate can apply for renewal after this time)
Eligible African Countries: Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo, Dem. Rep. , Congo, Rep., Côte d’Ivoire, Djibouti, Egypt, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Federation Rwanda, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Turkey , Uganda, Ukraine, Rep. Zambia, Zimbabwe.
Other Countries: Afghanistan, Albania, American Samoa, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Belarus, Belize, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Chile, China, Colombia, Comoros, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Arab Rep., El Salvador, Fiji, The Georgia, Grenada, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Indonesia, Iran, Islamic Rep. Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Korea, Dem Rep., Kosovo, Kyrgyz, Republic Lao PDR, Lebanon, Lithuania, Macedonia, Malaysia, Maldives, Marshall Islands, Mexico, Micronesia, Fed. Sts., Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Mayotte, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Romania, Russian, Samoa, São Tomé and Principe, Serbia, Solomon Islands, Sri Lanka, St. Kitts and Nevis St. Lucia St. ,Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, Syrian, Arab Republic, Tajikistan, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Venezuela, RB Vietnam, West Bank and Gaza Yemen,
How to Apply: Candidates for the Senior Research Fellowships must submit their application through the Wellcome Trust Grant Tracker.
Award Provider: Wellcome Trust, UK
Important Notes: Candidates for the Senior Research Fellowships who don’t have PhD or a degree in medicine may still be considered you if they have a first or a Master’s degree and can show substantial research experience. The scheme mmay be very important if candidate is an intermediate career fellow.
Watch Interesting Videos from Our Channel
10 Common Scholarship Interview Questions And How to Answer Them
Top 10 Countries With The Highest Salaries For Doctors
How to Create Good Study Habits for Exams – In 10 Proven Ways