Rivers state scholarship
Rivers State Government Scholarship Scheme
The government of Rivers state invites all eligible candidates to their scholarship programme. Students who are indigenes of Rivers state and wish to apply for undergraduate studies are eligible for the scholarship of the centre of Nigeria’s oil industry.
To be eligible for the scholarship, candidates must:
- Be Rivers state indigene.
- Have at least, five credits in WASC/GCE/SSCE in one sitting, which include Maths, English and three other subjects.
- Must be a full-time 100 level student of the Rivers State University of Education, Rivers State College of Arts and Science, Rivers State Polytechnic, Rivers State University, and the University of Port Harcourt.
- Must submit an application with the following information:
- Name, email address and phone number.
- Admission letter, course of study, year of entry and duration.
- Evidence of state of origin and local government.
- School identity card, National identity card, Driver’s license or International passport.
Requirements for the Scholarship Payment
To qualify for the Rivers State Scholarship/Bursary payment, students must provide the following:
- Local government identification letter.
- Student’s current school fee receipt.
- Recommendation letter from the village head.
- School admission letter.
- Student must be a Pamo student.
Qualified candidates are to come with the requirements at the Obi Walk Cultural Centre in Port Harcourt for accreditation.
Shell Nigeria Scholarship Schemes
The Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria Limited (SPDC), the operator of SPDC joint venture, awards the following scholarships to indigenes of Shell host communities.
- Niger Delta Postgraduate Scholarship
The SPDC is delighted to announce its annual SPDC Joint Venture Niger Delta Postgraduate Scholarship for applicants from Rivers, Bayelsa, Delta and Imo states. Postgraduate scholarship opportunities are provided to students from the above Niger Delta states in courses relevant to the oil and gas industry.
This is in conjunction with three universities in the UK, namely: Imperial College, London; University of Leeds; and the University of Aberdeen, for one-year MSc studies.
Benefit of the Scholarship
The scholarship covers tuition fees, living expenses and an economy flight ticket to the UK.
To be eligible for the scholarship, candidates should be able to:
- Meet the universities’ English language requirements which is usually 6.5 in the IELTS score. It is noteworthy that most UK universities no longer recognize TOEFL.
- Be between 21 and 28 years.
- Be indigenes of host communities.
- Not be a current nor a former employee of SPDC or the Royal Dutch Shell Group or any Shell Company; neither should he/she be a spouse, child or ward to the staff of the company.
- Display some intellectual ability and leadership skills.
- University Scholarship Scheme
This is a programme run by SPDC on behalf of the NNPC/Shell/Elf/Agip Joint Venture for the promotion of capacity building in Nigeria.
The applicants are shortlisted on the basis of SSCE or JAMB examination results. Then, an aptitude test follows at the Port Harcourt, Enugu, Warri, Abuja and Lagos centres.
There are two categories of the Scholarship Scheme: the National Merit Award (NM), open to Nigerian undergraduates; and the Area Operation Merit Award (AOM), open to students from host communities.
- Secondary School Scholarship
The Shell Nigeria Secondary School Scholarship Scheme is made available for students from host communities in Akwa Ibom, Delta, Bayelsa, Rivers, Edo and Imo states. This is to help students to achieve their academic goals.
- Cradle-to-Career Scholarship
This scholarship scheme is made available to brilliant pupils from poor backgrounds to attend reputable schools in Nigeria. The aim is to enhance the high literacy level in the Niger Delta region and Nigeria as a whole.
- AMBATECH Scholarship Board
Ambassador College of Management and Technology (AMBATECH) offers a partial scholarship to the less privileged and the handicapped to help in offsetting their financial needs.
The value of the scholarship is worth between 50% and 100% based on the applicant’s academic excellence or financial situation.
- Applicant must be in need of financial aid.
- Financial aid should be considered as supplementary assistance, as students and their parents are responsible for the financial needs of their education.
- There are procedures and practices put in place by the institution to ensure the fair and consistent treatment to all.
- Applicant must show seriousness in his/her studies.
- Rivers State Governor’s Special Overseas Undergraduate Scholarship
The Rivers State Sustainable Development Agency (RSSDA) invites all indigenes of Rivers State to apply for the Rivers State Governor’s Special Overseas Undergraduate Scholarship Programme.
The available courses include Engineering, Medical Sciences, Computer related studies, Economics, Natural Sciences, and Town / Regional Planning.
For Rivers indigenes, applicants must:
- Submit a copy of the local government identification.
- Not be above 21 years.
- Must have a minimum of five credits in SSCE. NECO is not applicable.
- Must not have any other scholarship.
- For non-indigenes:
- The above mentioned criteria for indigenes are applicable to non-indigenes.
- Must be a resident in Rivers State for a minimum of ten years.
- Must submit a three-year tax clearance and primary school certificates.
Shortlisted candidates would be contacted for aptitude tests via SMS or email.
The Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria Limited (SPDC), operator of the SPDC Joint Venture, is delighted to announce the ...