The African Writers Development Trust, in partnership with the Writers Guild Kenya, is calling for writers of African descent living in Africa, to apply for the African Writers Residency to hold in November 2019, as part of the PenPen Africa Project. The PenPen Africa project is funded by Culture at Work Africa and co-funded by the European Union.
Application Deadline: 7th September 2019
Eligible Countries: Applicants from Benin Republic, Burkina Faso, Rwanda, Congo DR, and Nigeria
To be Taken at (Country): Abuja, Nigeria
About the Award: According to Anthony Onugba, the Executive Director of the African Writers Development Trust, applicants from Benin Republic, Burkina Faso, Rwanda, Congo DR, and Nigeria, are invited to apply and are required to submit a nonfiction story of not more than 1500 words on the theme, The African Identity. The fully-funded residency programme will take place in Abuja, Nigeria, in November 2019 for 21 days.
Type: Short course
Eligibility: In order to qualify for this residency, you must be fluent in English and must be a citizen of and resident in the following countries
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: A fully-funded residency programme .
- Applicants are invited to apply and are required to submit a nonfiction story of not more than 1500 words on the theme, The African Identity.
- The writers will write two short stories which will have a cultural undertone. A total of 24 short stories from the writers will be compiled in a book and disseminated in hardback and eBook formats. The residency programme will hold in Nigeria in November, 2019 and in Kenya in February 2020.
Duration of Award: 21 days.
How to Apply: To apply, you must be affiliated to an established literary community in your country.
• All applications must be made through and by your literary community.
• All applications must be sent via email to [email protected].
*NOTE: each literary community can only send a maximum of 5 applications.
• Evidence of your affiliation to a literary community must be provided (said evidence can be in form of images of meetings, flyers of special events hosted by the literary community, etc).
• There is no fee attached to the application.
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.