DISCLOSURE: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we receive a commission. This article, first published in December 2014, was updated to represent recent changes across the platforms.…
Online Learning is a way of studying an internationally recognised course without having to attend a physical class. It is performed online and you could take it at any place and whenever you like within a specified time frame. There is a schedule for the courses and students are required to be fully involved in the course during the class schedule.
Benefits of Online Learning
Online learning is for you if you have a reason not to be present in class. Some reasons range from distance to cost of financing the courses. However, the following are some benefits that could justify your reasons for studying online:
- You could work from the comfort of your home.
- They are very cost-effective and save the learner both time and expenses to travel for the courses.
- The learner can access the course at any time he/she wishes to get involved.
- The students could access and approach the instructors without any stress.
- Learners are given the opportunities to ask questions and receive their answers.
- Technological and internet skills are enhanced to the maximum by the learners.
Top Online Learning Platforms and Courses they Offer
- Alison’s Certificate Courses: these are a range of free online courses that are designed to provide streamlined and packaged training for the learners. Some of the courses are listed under the following headings:
- IT Courses (software engineering, data science, hardware, game development and software development)
- Business Courses (project management, operations, finance, human resources, and others)
- Language Courses (Spanish, English, German, Irish, French, Chinese, Arabic, Swedish and Japanese)
- Health Courses (mental health, healthcare, nutrition, fitness and yoga)
- Humanities Courses (psychology, education, media and journalism, history, economics, politics, sociology and so on)
- Science Courses (life science, physics, chemistry, engineering, and General Science)
- Marketing Courses (social media marketing, marketing management, digital marketing and public relations)
- Lifestyle Courses (music, literature, skilled trades, food and beverage, arts and crafts, and photography)
- Maths Courses (core maths skills, calculus, probability and statistics, algebra, geometry and so on)
- Udemy Online Learning: this is a paid online platform that teaches varieties of courses to millions of people around the world. Some of the courses offered at Udemy include personal development, Business, Photography, Design, IT and Software, Marketing, Development, Music, among other courses. The costs are between $10 and $500.
- Google Digital Skills: these courses are mostly business courses to aid your business growth. There are available individual modules which include:
- Fundamentals of Digital Marketing
- Understand the Basics of Code
- How to Increase Productivity at Work
- Understand the Basics of Machine Learning
- Improve your Online Business Security
- Introduction to Digital Wellbeing
- Effective Networking
- Business Communication
- Speaking in Public
- Organizational Design
- Strategic Innovation
- The Science of Wellbeing
- Social Psychology
- Google Cloud
- Machine Learning Crash Course, and others.
- Coursera: Coursera has partnered with leading universities globally to provide dozens of online courses that will lead to official certification. Many of the courses are either free or cheap.
- Linda.com: this is a subscription-based online video tutorial. There are thousands of videos available for anyone to learn from.
- Khan Academy: Khan Academy is a nonprofit online platform that provides a completely free educational micro-lectures. It combines video and text based materials in humanities, mathematics, science, economics, and others.
- Bloc: Bloc focuses on web development and is highly structured to cover 25 hours per week. The tuition fee starts from $4,200.
- Skillshare: this is a marketplace for video-based courses. The courses are accessible with as low as $9.5 as a member or $20 as a non-member.
- Arden University Distance Learning: Arden University are the experts in online higher education with an internationally recognised qualification. Some of the courses offered by Arden University include Business and Computing, Business and Law, Business and Finance, Business, Business and Marketing, Business and Tourism, Criminal Justice, Criminology and Law, Criminology and Psychology, Criminology and Sociology Graphic Design, and other courses.
- IUBH Online Study: this is a master’s and MBA programmes in Europe that is accessible from anywhere around the globe. Some of the courses include MBA Marketing, MBA Management, MBA Finance and Accounting, MBA Engineering Management and MBA Big Data Management.
- University of Suffolk: the University of Suffolk in partnership with Unicaf brings together resources and capabilities of both organizations to offer innovative learning programmes delivered online. The entry requirements for the Master’s programme include a bachelor’s degree (2.2 and above), and IELTS (6.5 overall).
- Murdoch Online Learning: there are varieties of short or full courses offered at Murdoch University. You don’t need to be a student before accessing the courses, rather you will need to apply to the university and if you meet the requirements, will become an online student. Visit the website for information on how to apply.
- ITonlinelearning expert course: this is a paid online platform that enriches you with the right knowledge in Project Management, IT Support Technician, Cyber Security Engineering and more.
- Others include Udacity, Codeacademy, Bloc, iversity, and General assembly.
Free Online Courses you should consider
- Computer Science
- Data Science
- Business Management
- Business Communication
- Supply Chain Analytics
- Marketing Management
- Statistics and Data Science
- Data Analysis
- Supply Chain Management
- Agile Project Management
- Global Politics
- Comparative Political System
- Democracy and Autocracy
- Grant Writing
- Introduction to Python
- Computer Science for Web
- Computing in Python, and so on.
Apply now to these top online learning platforms. We have compiled a list of courses they offer and how to apply.
Online learning and training have become the order of the day, no doubt about it. There are several online learning and training platforms, but Coursera and Udemy stood out among them. One of the reasons people prefer these two online…
Schooling is an investment - a lifetime investment. Trust me you can't afford to get it wrong with a University choice. The wrong choice will haunt you throughout your life and probably force you to start studying all over again or risk…
The reward for taking an online course cannot be overemphasized. Those who juggle between work and family and have little or no time to acquire some knowledge are in an advantaged position to take an online course. Parents looking for…
Today tens of thousands of schools have closed throughout the world, with students out for a month or more. The volume of e-learning the schools provide varies, with so many students left with their own Smartphones. Families strive to…