Scholarships in China
The Chinese government and universities offer scholarships to citizens and international students every year, ranging from undergraduate to PhD scholarships.
Eligibility for the Chinese Government Scholarship
To be eligible, the applicant must:
- Be in good health.
- Apply through the Chinese Embassy in their home country.
- Be a high school graduate and not up to the age of 25 if applying for the undergraduate category.
- Be a bachelor’s degree holder and below 35 if applying for the Master’s category.
- Be a master’s degree holder and below the age of 40 if applying for the doctoral programs.
- Be a master’s degree holder, under the age of 45 and have completed at least two years of undergraduate study if applying for the general scholars’ program.
- Be a master’s degree holder or an associate professor and under the age of 50 if applying for a senior scholar program.
- Application form from the Chinese Embassy (in Chinese or English).
- Notarized highest diploma.
- Academic transcripts.
- A study plan or research proposals (not less than 200 words for undergraduates, 500 words for a non-degree holder and 800 words for postgraduates).
- Recommendation letters from a professor or associate professor.
- Applicants for music and arts programs must submit their own works.
- If staying for more than six months, applicants must show a copy of his/her Foreigner Physical Examination Form.
- Applicants below 18 must submit valid documents of their legal guardians.
- Pre-admission letter from the Chinese Government Scholarship universities.
- Language qualification certificates like IELTS, TOEFL or HSK.
The Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme for International Students
This is a fully funded scholarship at the University of Hong Kong, the Hong Kong Polytechnic, the Hong Kong Institute of Education and the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology. It is for PhD programmes only and open to all international students. The deadline for application is December 1.
The benefits include a yearly stipend of HK$309,600 which is approximately US$39,700, and a conference and research related travel allowance of HK$12,900 (approximately US$1,700) per annum. This lasts for a period up to three years.
Eligible candidates should make an initial online application through the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme Electronic System (HKPSES) to obtain the number before submitting the admission to the desired university.
Applicants must submit the initial application as early as possible to have sufficient time to submit to the desired university.
Uppsala University Global Scholarships, Sweden
This a partial funding scholarship programme for Masters Students.
Chinese University Program Scholarships for International Students
This is a fully-funded Chinese government program established by the Ministry of Education to support international students in Chinese universities. It is available for Masters and Doctorate programs in the field of Public Administration, Public Health and International Communications.
It covers the tuition, accommodation, stipend, and comprehensive medical insurance. It is an annual application available between January and April.
- Candidate must be a non-Chinese citizen.
- Be a bachelor’s degree holder under the age of 35 (for Master’s)
- Be a Master’s degree holder under the age of 40 (for PhD).
- Complete the online application at CGS Information System.
- Click ‘Application Online’ to log in.
- Submit the online application form to the Chinese government and print a hardcopy.
- Consult your target university for further instructions.
Xiamen University Scholarships for International Students
This category of scholarship is for undergraduates, Masters and Doctoral students. Undergraduate applicants will have their tuition covered for 4 or 5 years; Master’s, for 2 or 3 years; and Doctoral, for 4 years maximum. The scholarship is renewed yearly based on the candidate’s academic performance. The deadline is every April of each year.
The courses are offered in English language. It offers a monthly living allowance of RMB3,500 for Doctoral students and RMB300 for Master’s students. There is no provision for living allowance to the undergraduates.
- Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens.
- Undergraduate applicants must be below 25.
- Master’s applicants must have a bachelor’s degree and are below 40.
- All applicants for Doctoral studies must be below 45 and hold a Master’s degree.
- Schwarzman Scholars Program at Tsinghua University (fully-funded).
- Hubei Provincial Scholarships in China (fully-funded).
- Jiamusi University Heilongjiang Provincial Government Scholarships Program
- Siemens China Scholarship Tsinghua University.
- International Scholarships at Kellogg School of Management.
- USTB Chancellor Scholarships, China.
- Shaanxi Normal University Scholarship Program
Tuition and Living Costs in China
On average, students spend $4000 for accommodation, $2000 for food, transportation, clothing, etc. per annum. This could be a monthly budget of $500.
However, due to study materials and other expenses, students are advised to budget about $10000.
Applications open for China scholarship for international students and Chinese Government Scholarship 2019 and every year.
If you are considering studying in China, the Chinese Scholarship Council offers most of the programs including Jiangsu University Chinese, Beijing, Shanghai Government and MOFCOM Scholarships.
Start here to apply for scholarships in China for African students, developing countries & international students:
Watch this Video on Top 10 Scholarships in Asian Countries for International Students.
The Ministry of Commerce of People’s Republic of China (MOFCOM) will provide "Chinese Government Scholarships" to admitted students from developing countries. Application Deadline: 28th May 2021 Eligible…
As an integral part of the extended 44th session of the World Heritage Committee (Fuzhou (China)/Online, 2021), and within the framework of the UNESCO World Heritage Education Programme, the National Commission for the People’s Republic of…
The UNOSSC/Government of China Youth4South Fellowship Programme 2021 is now open for applications for Masters students from Developing Countries Application Deadline: CAU: 30th April 2021Pekin University: 20th June 2021 About the…
Designed to prepare the next generation of global leaders, Schwarzman Scholars is the first scholarship created to respond to the geopolitical landscape of the 21st Century. Application Deadline: 21st September 2021 at 11:59 PM, Eastern…
Southwest University Chinese Government Scholarship PhD Program in Pharmaceutical Sciences 2021 for…
Southwest University (SWU) provides seats (the number of which to be decided by CSC in June) of Chinese Government Scholarship for the graduate students from any African universities, especially Ain Shams University, Egypt, to be enrolled …