Scholarships in China
The Chinese government and universities offer scholarships to citizens and international students every year, ranging from undergraduate to PhD scholarships.
Eligibility for the Chinese Government Scholarship
To be eligible, the applicant must:
- Be in good health.
- Apply through the Chinese Embassy in their home country.
- Be a high school graduate and not up to the age of 25 if applying for the undergraduate category.
- Be a bachelor’s degree holder and below 35 if applying for the Master’s category.
- Be a master’s degree holder and below the age of 40 if applying for the doctoral programs.
- Be a master’s degree holder, under the age of 45 and have completed at least two years of undergraduate study if applying for the general scholars’ program.
- Be a master’s degree holder or an associate professor and under the age of 50 if applying for a senior scholar program.
- Application form from the Chinese Embassy (in Chinese or English).
- Notarized highest diploma.
- Academic transcripts.
- A study plan or research proposals (not less than 200 words for undergraduates, 500 words for a non-degree holder and 800 words for postgraduates).
- Recommendation letters from a professor or associate professor.
- Applicants for music and arts programs must submit their own works.
- If staying for more than six months, applicants must show a copy of his/her Foreigner Physical Examination Form.
- Applicants below 18 must submit valid documents of their legal guardians.
- Pre-admission letter from the Chinese Government Scholarship universities.
- Language qualification certificates like IELTS, TOEFL or HSK.
The Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme for International Students
This is a fully funded scholarship at the University of Hong Kong, the Hong Kong Polytechnic, the Hong Kong Institute of Education and the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology. It is for PhD programmes only and open to all international students. The deadline for application is December 1.
The benefits include a yearly stipend of HK$309,600 which is approximately US$39,700, and a conference and research related travel allowance of HK$12,900 (approximately US$1,700) per annum. This lasts for a period up to three years.
Eligible candidates should make an initial online application through the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme Electronic System (HKPSES) to obtain the number before submitting the admission to the desired university.
Applicants must submit the initial application as early as possible to have sufficient time to submit to the desired university.
Uppsala University Global Scholarships, Sweden
This a partial funding scholarship programme for Masters Students.
Chinese University Program Scholarships for International Students
This is a fully-funded Chinese government program established by the Ministry of Education to support international students in Chinese universities. It is available for Masters and Doctorate programs in the field of Public Administration, Public Health and International Communications.
It covers the tuition, accommodation, stipend, and comprehensive medical insurance. It is an annual application available between January and April.
- Candidate must be a non-Chinese citizen.
- Be a bachelor’s degree holder under the age of 35 (for Master’s)
- Be a Master’s degree holder under the age of 40 (for PhD).
- Complete the online application at CGS Information System.
- Click ‘Application Online’ to log in.
- Submit the online application form to the Chinese government and print a hardcopy.
- Consult your target university for further instructions.
Xiamen University Scholarships for International Students
This category of scholarship is for undergraduates, Masters and Doctoral students. Undergraduate applicants will have their tuition covered for 4 or 5 years; Master’s, for 2 or 3 years; and Doctoral, for 4 years maximum. The scholarship is renewed yearly based on the candidate’s academic performance. The deadline is every April of each year.
The courses are offered in English language. It offers a monthly living allowance of RMB3,500 for Doctoral students and RMB300 for Master’s students. There is no provision for living allowance to the undergraduates.
- Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens.
- Undergraduate applicants must be below 25.
- Master’s applicants must have a bachelor’s degree and are below 40.
- All applicants for Doctoral studies must be below 45 and hold a Master’s degree.
- Schwarzman Scholars Program at Tsinghua University (fully-funded).
- Hubei Provincial Scholarships in China (fully-funded).
- Jiamusi University Heilongjiang Provincial Government Scholarships Program
- Siemens China Scholarship Tsinghua University.
- International Scholarships at Kellogg School of Management.
- USTB Chancellor Scholarships, China.
- Shaanxi Normal University Scholarship Program
Tuition and Living Costs in China
On average, students spend $4000 for accommodation, $2000 for food, transportation, clothing, etc. per annum. This could be a monthly budget of $500.
However, due to study materials and other expenses, students are advised to budget about $10000.
Applications open for China scholarship for international students and Chinese Government Scholarship 2019 and every year.
If you are considering studying in China, the Chinese Scholarship Council offers most of the programs including Jiangsu University Chinese, Beijing, Shanghai Government and MOFCOM Scholarships.
Start here to apply for scholarships in China for African students, developing countries & international students:
Watch this Video on Top 10 Scholarships in Asian Countries for International Students.
Latin America Middle East & North Africa Scholarship for Nigerians Scholarship in Netherlands Scholarship in New Zealand Scholarship in Norway Scholarship in Scotland Scholarship in Sweden Scholarship in Switzerland Scholarships for Africans Scholarships in Africa Scholarships in Asia Scholarships in Australia Scholarships in Belgium Scholarships in Canada
Top 10 Fully Funded Scholarships in China for International Students There were almost 500,000 international students enrolled in Chinese universities in 2018. These improved numbers are partly thanks to the Chinese government’s boosted…
Looking for undergraduate, masters and PhD scholarships in China for international students? You’ve found it. Scholarships in China open every year between March and May. These scholarships are offered to international students by the…
One of the best ways to study for free as a foreign student in another country is to apply for fully funded Government scholarships for International students offered by the government of that country. It will interest you to know that…
Looking for countries where you can live and work as an immigrant, here are the top 5 countries where it’s easier to get living or working visa Watch Top 5 Countries Where You Can Get Easy Working & Living Visa …
2019 Fujian Normal University President Scholarship for Foreign Students Application Procedure Application Deadline: 10th June 2019 Offered Annually? Yes Eligible Countries: International To be taken at (country): China Type: …
To attract and encourage more international students to study in Qingdao and engage in scientific research, the Qingdao Municipal Government has established the “Qingdao Municipal Government Scholarship for International Students in China”…
Alibaba eFounder Fellowship is excited to introduce Class 7 of the eFounders Fellowship, which will be open to founders/co-founders of digital ventures from Algeria, Ethiopia, Ghana, Morocco, Nigeria, Senegal, or Tunisia, for a 2 week…
Ministry of Commerce (MOFCOM) of People’s Republic of China of offering the MOFCOM Scholarship for Masters and PhD degrees to develop talents from developing countries. Application Deadline: 31st May 2019 Offered annually? Yes Eligible…