Latin America is a large region that stretches from northern Mexico to southern Argentina. It is made of variety, culture and traditions and its people are known for their hospitality and happiness. Latinos are also known for their sensual dancing, their varied and tasteful dishes and their beautiful tropical landscapes.
Until the 19th-century, several Latin-American countries were territories of Spain and Portugal. This European influence has been very important and has contributed to language and religion as well as to food and culture. Latin America is a mixture of European and local cultures and beliefs, together with rituals introduced to the region by Africans during the colonial period.
Studying at Latin America – what it entails
Latin America has not been an attractive educational destination for quite a long time. The Latin American group of countries was considered to have low rates of literacy and poor quality education. But the last decade was the opportunity, in particular, for substantial changes to the economies and education of the countries of the region. Latin America already has an opportunity to compete with such favored student nations as the USA, the UK and Australia.
Today, Latin America is home to institutions of world renown, specializing in a wide range of subjects. Recently ranked number one by the QS rating system, Pontifica Universidad Catolica de Chile has made a special impact on scientific developments, is a great choice for students of science and engineering as would Universidad de Los Andes in Bogota, Colombia. As well as being one of the most established law schools in Latin America, Universidade de Sao Paolo in Brazil is a highly prestigious university. The business school at Tecnologico de Monterrey holds the accolade among the best MBA programs in the world.
Top Scholarships around the world for Latin America
If you’re a bright, talented or motivated student of Latin America, the best scholarships are for your taking. The following are ten most prestigious international scholarship programs out there for Latin America’s brightest international students.
- Joint Japan World Bank Graduate Scholarships (Global)
- Swedish Institute Study Scholarships (Sweden)
- Erasmus+ (Europe)
- Eiffel Excellence Scholarship Programme (France)
- Bank Santander Scholarship Grant for international students
- Rotary Foundation Global Study Grants (Global)
- The Gates Millennium Scholarship (USA)
- Endeavour Postgraduate Awards (Australia)
- The Fulbright Scholarships (USA)
- Chevening Scholarships (England)
Available Scholarships in Latin America and Eligibility Criteria
- PEC – G undergraduate scholarships for international students in Brazil
Eligibility and Criteria
- You must be a citizen and resident of a country participating in the PEC – G
- Must be 18 years of age
- Must possess a high school diploma with an overall arithmetic mean of 60%
- Climate Tracker Reporting Fellowship for Young Journalist at Chile
Eligibility and Criteria
- They are always on the lookout for journalists from around the world who wish to make an impact in their countries by publishing about fossil fuel projects.
- This fellowship is only available to young journalists aged 18 – 32
- Government of Chile Nelson Mandela Master Scholarship for Africans
Eligibility and Criteria
- In the case of postgraduate scholarships, only the study programs expressly indicated in Annex No 1 of the call can be applied, which is published annually on the AGCID website and sent to the points focal of the invited countries.
- Must have a professional degree and currently working
- Eligible countries are; Angola, South Africa and Mozambique
Top Latin America Universities
If you’re looking to study at one of Latin America’s best universities, heading to Brazil could be your best bet according to the 2019 Times Higher Education Latin America University Rankings. The country’s ranking of around 150 universities includes an impressive 52 universities.
The top university is the Pontifical Catholic University of Chile, despite Brazil being the country with the highest representation in the ranking. This is the first time a Chilean university has taken first place in the University Rankings for Latin America. The University of São Paulo in Brazil comes in at number two.
Below is the list for the top 10 ranking universities in Latin America
|1||Pontifica Universidad Catolica de Chile (UC)||Chile|
|2||Universidade de Sao Paulo (USP)||Brazil|
|3||Tecnologico de Monterrey (ITESM)||Mexico|
|4||Universidad de los Andes Colombia||Colombia|
|5||Universidade Estadual de Campinas (Unicamp)||Brazil|
|6||Universidade Nacional Autonoma de Mexico (UNAM)||Mexico|
|7||Universidade de Chile||Chile|
|8||Universidade de Buenos Aires (UBA)||Argentina|
|9||Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro||Brazil|
|10||Universidade Nacional de Colombia||Colombia|
In conclusion, there’s no time to pursue your goals like the now. If you’ve been fantasizing about ascending the mountain great heights, surfing with sea lions, crossing Machu Picchu off your bucket list or learning to dance the bachata, it sounds like Latin America is a no-brainer for your next trip abroad.
Journalists from Latin America, the Caribbean, Africa and developing Asia are invited to apply for this program. The Climate Change Media Partnership (CCMP), led by Internews’ Earth Journalism Network, is accepting candidates for a…
Government of Mexico Undergraduate, Graduate and Specialisation Scholarships 2020 for International…
The Mexican Government is now offering its Scholarship Program for Foreign Students to study for Bachelors, Masters, PhD degrees in Mexico. Application Deadline: 27th September 2019 at 15:00 (Local Time in Mexico City). Offered annually?…
The Chilean International Cooperation Agency (AGCI) is offering scholarships for accredited Spanish-taught Master's program at Chilean higher education institutions in 2019. The scholarships are offered for Masters degree to professionals…
The Center for Law, Justice and Society (Dejusticia) invite indigenous leaders from around American, Asia and Africa to participate in the Third Global Indigenous Workshop, which will take place in December 2019 in the Ecuadorian Amazon. …
Government of Colombia is offering financial grants to foreign citizens, in return for international received by Colombia under existing cooperation agreements. Application Deadline: 28th June 2019 Offered Annually? Yes Eligible…