Government Scholarships are given by governments of developed countries as part of their obligation to global affiliation and advancement. It also helps to develop their education systems. Governments of developed countries such as the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Japan, Netherlands, and many nations grant government-funded scholarships to extraordinary international students from around the globe.
Top Government Scholarships
Below are the countries that offer government scholarships.
The United Kingdom and British Commonwealth Government Scholarships
The UK and Commonwealth offer scholarships to students from Commonwealth member states. They are:
- UK Commonwealth Scholarship for Developing Commonwealth Countries: This scholarship is aimed at students from developing Commonwealth nations who want to pursue seek Masters and Ph.D. studies in the UK. Each scholarship gives flight tickets to and from UK, examination and tuition fees, initial arrival stipend, private maintaining allowance, etc. They give 300 scholarships each year.
- An applicant must be a citizen or permanent resident of a Commonwealth country.
- Be a refugee or British protected person
- Be unable to afford to study in the UK without this scholarship
- Be an undergraduate honor degree holder with at least upper second class (2:1)
British Chevening Scholarship
These scholarships are awarded to excellent students of Chevening eligible countries around the universe. The scholarship is usually for a year Master’s degree. The scholarship encompasses tuition, a residence allowance, an economy class return flight to the UK, and extra cash to cover the necessary cost. It gives 1,500 scholarships each year.
- Be a citizen of a Chevening eligible country or province
- Have at least an upper second class degree (2:1)
- Have at least two years of work experience
- Return to your country of citizenship for a minimum of two years after your award has ended
- Apply to three different eligible UK university courses and has received a thorough offer from one of these options
- Meet the Chevening English language requirement
The United States Government Scholarships
The following are scholarships offered by the United States government:
Herbert Humphrey Fellowship Program: This fellowship gives a year of skilled enrichment in the US for trained professionals from assigned countries throughout the globe. The fellowship provides tuition, flight ticket, allowance, health and accident insurance, etc. It gives 200 fellowships each year.
- Have a record of public service in the community
- Have an undergraduate degree
- Should not have a US permanent resident status or US citizenship
- Have exemplified leadership personalities
- Have not had more than six months of US experience in the last 5 years prior to the start of the Fellowship
- Have not attended graduate school in the US for one academic year or more in the seven years prior to the start of the Fellowship
- Have a minimum of five years of full-time professional experience
- Have the English language proficiency
Fulbright Foreign Student Program: These are full scholarships for international students from 155 countries around the universe who wants to go after a Master’s or Ph.D. degree in the US. The scholarship can also be granted for non-degree postgraduate studies. The grant encircles tuition, flight tickets, stipend, textbooks, and health insurance. It gives 1,800 scholarships each year.
- Must be doctoral students and have the approval of their home institution
- Priority will be given to applicants who have not studied in the US
- Must have an extraordinary academic record and high level of English mastership
- Applicants with strong proposals, summarizing their research goals, procedure, time frame, and reason for conducting the research in the US
- A minimum score of 100 on the internet-based TOEFL test
- Must have high enthusiasm and a serious devotion to completing the program as scheduled and to returning home
Swedish Institute Study Scholarship
This scholarship is offered by the Swedish Government to highly readied international students from developing countries who want to pursue full-time Master’s studies at Swedish universities. It covers tuition, insurance, living expenses, and travel grant, it covers 335 scholarships each year.
- Must be a citizen of a country that is eligible for the scholarship program
- Must have a minimum of 3,000 hours of demonstrating employment
- Must have demonstrated leadership experience from your current or previous employment.
Japanese Government Scholarship
The Japanese Government offers international students who wish to study at Japanese universities as undergraduate and research students. This scholarship covers tuition, traveling cost and allowance.
- Must have the nationality of a country that has diplomatic relations with Japan
- Must be willing to learn Japanese
- Obtain a “Students” visa at the Japanese diplomatic mission located in the applicant’s country
- Must submit a health certificate
- Applicants must be born between April 2, 1995, and April 1, 2003
- Applicants must have 12 years of schooling in countries other than Japan.
How to Get Government Scholarships to Study Abroad
Below are some of the ways you can get government scholarships to study abroad:
- Research for possible government scholarships available
- Check your preferences, eligibility, and criteria
- Have the needed grades
- Ask for help
- Contact the scholarship funder directly
Application opens for government scholarships for international students every year. From China, Japan, Indonesia, USA, UK, Australia, Belgium to Estonia, Russia, Indian government scholarship.
These are usually fully funded scholarships for undergraduate, master or PhD/doctoral degrees. Start here to apply for government scholarships for African students, developing countries & international students around the world.
Watch Video for the Top 10 Fully Funded Government Scholarships for International Students
One of the best ways to study for free as a foreign student in another country is to apply for international scholarships offered by the government of that country. It will interest you to know that every year, the Government of several…
The Joint Japan/World Bank Graduate Scholarship Programme - JJ/WBGSP calls for applications from developing country nationals and Japanese nationals for master degree programs starting this 2020/2021 academic year. Application Deadline:…
The Ministry of Education, Science, Research and Sport of the Slovak Republic (“Ministry of Education”) awards a government scholarship to a national of a partnering country to partially cover the costs associated with studies at a public…
The government of People’s Republic of China in conjunction with the UNESCO is offering 75 undergraduate and postgraduate fellowship for developing countries 2020/2021. Application Deadline: 25th March 2020 Offered annually? Yes To be…
Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Poland and Minister of Science and Higher Education of the Republic of Poland announces recruitment to the Ignacy Lukasiewicz scholarship programme (2020/2021 edition). Application Deadline:…
The Ministry of Research, Technology, and Higher Education of the Repulic of Indonesia is pleased to announce the continuation of the Kemitraan Negara Berkembang (KNB) scholarship program to support students from developing countries to get…
The KGSP (Korean Government Scholarship Program) is a scholarship program sponsored by the NIIED (National Institute for International Education) and designed to provide higher education in Korea for international students in the aim of…
The Government of Kaduna State in Nigeria is inviting applications for its inaugural Fellowship program target at young Nigerians from ages 25-35 years. Application Deadline: 20th March 2020 Eligible Countries: Nigeria To Be Taken At…
The Estonian Government through the Estonian Institute is offering international students, researchers and academic staff - Scholarships for summer and winter schools. Application Deadline: 19th March 2020 Offered annually? Yes Eligible…
Add After School Africa to your Homescreen!
Recover your password.
A password will be e-mailed to you.