10 Countries You Can Study and Work as a Student

Do you intend to study abroad, but you have no scholarship scheme covering all your expenses? The best option for you at the moment is to consider getting a part-time or full-time job while you study. Having stable work on campus is a great way to take out all the odds and ills attached to studying abroad.

Another great advantage of having a job while you study abroad is the fact that it helps you get a stable and steady income with which you can tackle all academic challenges. If you are keenly interested in studying abroad, you are advised to check for countries that allow you to make money while working.

Get Up to $100,000 Student Loan for Your Master in US or Canada - See if you are eligible

Got Admission to Study in US or Canada? See if you are eligible for international student loan

Interestingly, many countries across the globe offer excellent education while also allowing international students to work either as a part-time or full time (or both). Some states have high restrictions, and others are somewhat lenient. Be it as it may, the following countries outlined in this context makes it easy for students to study and also make extra money while doing so. If you desire quality education with an excellent working scheme, consider these countries.

  1. Sweden

Sweden is a very terrific place to study and live. The country has a vast number of universities with a lot of international recognition and rankings. Although you might not find these Sweden universities among the top ten in the world as regards the quality education system, however, they are undoubtedly the best choice for international students.

For international students seeking to work in Sweden as they study, know that the country is somewhat lenient and allows students to have a good job. Fortunately, if you have a Sweden resident permit or you get one while studying, you can have access to work continuous hours. A resident license opens you to no official limit on the number of houses you can work daily.

  1. United Kingdom

Whenever you search for the best universities in the world, it is no doubt that you will find a lot of them located in the United Kingdom. However, they have strict work and study rules (especially for international students). For citizens from EEA (European Economic Area), EU or Switzerland, there is usually no limit to the number of hours you can work weekly, and there is no application process attached to working while you study. The essential thing is just to inform your employer of your originating country.

On the other side, if you are from a country outside the European Union, you will be subjected to a different rule. Firstly, you will need a Tier 4 (General) Student Visa. After this, you will be subjected to a series of checks and balances and also restrictions. Some of the limits could be stated as you working 20 hours weekly if you are on a full-time program or limiting your work to 10 hours weekly if you are studying below degree level.

  1. France

One of the best countries to study as an international student in France. France helps international students study while also having access to scholarships, which will cover all their expenses. Also, if you need to work so you can cover all your costs of studying, France remains the right country to go to. One exciting thing about France is that there are no restrictions on international students’ work scheme; all international students are allowed to work while they study as well.

However, the working hours per year for all students (both local and international) are 964 hours annually, i.e., 60 percent of the annual legal work also synonymous to 19 hours weekly. For international students outside the EU, they are expected to render a student resident permit. Algerian students are required for a temporary work permit or APT. Every other student can work without having any of those above.

  1. Canada

Canada is a beautiful country that has a lot to offer in the line of education, especially if you intend to live in Canada after your training. Canada makes it easy and straightforward for international students willing to stay and work after their studies. Sadly, if you intend to work while you study, there a lot of rules attached to this; also, the rules are somewhat complicated as well. More detailed analysis is noted in subsequent lines.

Canada permits international students to work on campus if they had been full-time post-secondary students at:

  • A public post-secondary school, like a college or university
  • The CEGEP in Quebec (a private college-level school in Quebec which operates under a similar set of rules as public schools and usually at least 50% funded by government grants)
  • A Canadian private school that can legally award degrees under provincial law.
  • A study permit and a Social Insurance Number are also required. There is no limit in hours for on-campus work.

Furthermore, Canada allows international students who want to work off-campus without a work permit to do so with a limit of 20 hours weekly. Haven said that they are also required to tender a study permit, which allows them to work off-campus.

  1. Australia

If you eventually get a student visa and assume a college course in Australia, you should be glad to know that you cannot only work and study in Australia; any of your family members included in the student’s visa application that is there with you can also work and research in the same country. There is no difference in rules; the same rules apply to both the students and their distinguished family members.

During your course of study, you and your family members can work up to 20 hours weekly and full time during vacations. If you are a postgraduate research student, you can work full time if you are taking a masters in research or any doctoral degree program. The same applies to all your family members.

  1. New Zealand

Just like Sweden, New Zealand does not have the most famous world universities. However, that does not limit its efficiency and quality in excellent education. New Zealand is one of the European countries with high standards of living; this implies that applying for a student visa is relatively straightforward and easy.

If you intend to work before you start studying, you will have to check your visa or your physical visa label, which is in your passport (this presents your working rights to you). The practical reasons are also present in a letter that comes with your student visa if this is absent, it means you are not eligible to work. Luckily, if you are permitted to work, you cannot exceed 20 working hours weekly; on holidays, postgraduate students are allowed to work full time with no restrictions.

  1. United States

After receiving your F-1 Visa, which is given to all international students to allow them to study in any institution in the United States, you will then be allowed to work 20 hours weekly during the study period and 40 hours weekly during vacations. This kind of job is an On-Campus job, which implies that the job must be done for the institution where you study.

The F-1 Visa does not allow students to work outside the campus; they can, however, work in enterprises that provide services for the institution which they learn like Cafeteria and Library services. If you want to work off-campus, you can apply for that after a year of beginning your education, in that case, you will do an Optional Practical Training (OPT) or a Curricular Practical Training (CTP) which is a work-related to your field of study and an internship respectively.

  1. Germany

Germany allows students to work for 120 days annually if they are on full-time work and for 240 days annually if on a part-time work scheme. Although the wage for each hour worked for is not officially stated in Germany. However, students can earn up to 6-10 euros hourly. Interestingly, if you secure a job with the institution where you study, you will have to work for over 120 days; however, you will have to seek permits from local authorities to do such.

  1. Spain

Aside from beautiful locations and an excellent education system, Spain allows international students to work while they study. International students in Spain can demand a work permit from local authorities; this will enable them to work for 20 hours weekly. The license allows the student to work in any company which the student must have signed a part-time work contract with.

In Spain, students are expected to be taking up jobs that related to their study programs or the course they are pursuing. On vacations, international students can work for up to 3 months (full time).

  1. South Korea

Who does not desire a Gangnam style? You can get to the heart of K-Pop if you intend to study in Seoul. Contrarily, if you are not a pop-tune kind of person, then you should be delighted to know that the capital of South Korea is home to 14 internationally recognized and rated universities. This helps you get versatile with the study as you can also make yourself comfortable working to improve your CV and make some more money for your education in the industrial cities of South Korea.

In conclusion, getting a part-time job as you study abroad is a very great opportunity for you to make some money, make new friends, have some handy work experience, and also have an insight into what the labour market entails. While working as you study can help you put some few expenses straight during your course of study, you should understand that your work will not help you cover all your costs and the cost of living and studying abroad. Therefore, you must be having enough money before proceeding to study in an international country as your financial information would be requested at the Embassy of the country where you intend to study.

Leave a Comment