Chilean Government Nelson Mandela Scholarships for Southern African Students 2018/2019
The Chilean International Cooperation Agency (AGCI) is offering scholarships for accredited Spanish-taught Master’s program at Chilean higher education institutions in 2019. The scholarships are offered for Masters degree to professionals who are citizens of South Africa, Mozambique and Angola.
Application Deadline: 31st October 2018.
Offered Annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: South Africa, Mozambique and Angola.
To Be Taken At (Country): Chile
About the Award: For the academic year 2019, the Chilean Agency for International Cooperation and Development (AGCID) offers scholarships to perform accredited Master Degree studies in Chilean Universities or other higher education institutions. These scholarships are offered to professionals who are citizens of South Africa, Mozambique, and Angola.
AGCID’s Horizontal Cooperation Scholarship Program began in 1993 and, to date, more than 1,000 Latin American and Caribbean professionals have completed post-graduate programs in various fields of specialization offered by Chilean universities or higher education institutions, and, as of the year 2015, the Scholarship Program has been extended to citizens of South Africa, Mozambique, and Angola.
Field of Study: A wide range of fields are available including fields related to:
- Public Policy Management
- Mining and Geology
- Information technology
- Business and economics
- Public health
- The scholarship program is offered to professionals who are citizens of South Africa, Mozambique and Angola and preferably work in the public or academic sectors in their home country. Applicants must have:
- experience in the subjects they choose to pursue Master’s studies in
- unconditional acceptance offer at a Chilean higher education institution
- 4-year university degree
- if employed already, you will need a letter of support, indicating that you will be released for the duration of your studies.
For granting scholarships, there will be the following priority criteria:
- Applications submitted by government officials or academics from universities officially recognized by the respective country.
- Applications that correspond to Annex 1 (See in Link below), which contains the Accredited Master Degree Programs.
- Applications to the areas of ASTRONOMY, AGRICULTURE, ENERGY, PUBLIC POLICY MANAGEMENT, HEALTH, ENVIRONMENT, AND MINING, among others, that appear on the List of Masters programs contained in Annex 1 attached to this Call for Applications.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award:
- Spanish language course (can be in parallel with studies or before the beginning of the studies)
- Return airfare
- Tuition fees
- Graduation costs
- Medical insurance
- Monthly allowance
- Successful applicants will be required to take funds with them to Chile to cover initial costs while administration of stipend payments is being finalized an amount of at least US$ 500 is recommended.
Duration of Programme: Scholarships are awarded, depending on the duration of the studies program chosen, up to a maximum period of thirty (30) months, including the immersion course in the Spanish language that must be completed and approved in this period, detailed below. If the scholarship holder does not participate in the Spanish language immersion course, by having certified Spanish language proficiency beforehand, the maximum period of the scholarship will be twenty-four (24) months.
How to Apply:
- Applicants must submit the AGCID Scholarship application form both in original copy on paper and in compact disc format (CD), together with application documents to the Chilean Embassy in South Africa, see ANNEX 3 for List of Focal Points. More information on the application process can be accessed through: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please read the Call document carefully to ensure that you comply with all requirements and processes.
- The Embassy of Chile in South Africa is available to assist any applicants who struggle to navigate the application process, particularly applying to Chilean higher education institutions.
Annexure 1: List of Master Programs Accredited by the National Accreditation Board
Annexure 2: Preliminary form of the Scholarship Granting and Acceptance Agreement that regulates the relationship between AGCID and the scholarship recipients.
Annexure 4: AGCID Application Form
Annexure 5: Affidavit to be submitted by the selected candidates
Annexure 6: Recommended Health and Pre-existing Conditions Statement Form
Award Providers: Chilean Government