Newton Advanced Fellowships for Early Career Researchers 2018
This scheme provides established international researchers with an opportunity to develop the research strengths and capabilities of their research group through training, collaboration and reciprocal visits with a partner in the UK. The skills and knowledge gained should lead to changes in the wellbeing of communities and increased economic benefits.
Application Deadline: 28th February 2018
Eligible Countries: Brazil, China, Mexico, South Africa.
About the Award: This award is currently available to international early career group leaders to develop their research by linking them with some of the best research groups in the UK. The aim is to:
- Support the development of a well-trained research community who can contribute to poverty alleviation by transferring new skills and creating new knowledge which can lead to changes in the wellbeing of communities and increased economic benefits.
- Strengthen research excellence in partner countries by supporting promising independent, early-career scientists and their research groups and networks to develop their research through training, collaboration, reciprocal visits and the transfer of knowledge and skills from the UK.
- Establish long-term links between the best research groups (and networks) in partner countries and the UK to ensure that improvements in research capacity are sustainable in the longer term. Such long-term links will also benefit the UK, securing our position with partner countries as the scientific partner of choice.
Type: Research, Fellowships
Eligibility: Applicants must have a PhD or equivalent research experience and hold a permanent or fixed-term contract in an eligible university or research institute, which must span the duration of the project. Applicants should have no more than 15 years of postdoctoral experience. Collaborations should focus on a single project involving overseas-based scientist (“the Applicant”) and UK-based scientist (“the Co-applicant”).
Selection Criteria: Applications will be assessed by the Newton Advanced Fellowships Panel and decisions made in September 2017.
Number of Awardees: Not specified
Value and Duration of Program: Awards last for up to three years and are available to support researchers across the natural sciences, including clinical or patient-oriented research. Up to £37,000 is available each year, guidelines for use as follows:
- A salary top up (maximum £5,000) for the group leader from the partner country.
- Research support (maximum £15,000) to cover costs for studentships, staff, consumables or equipment.
- Travel and subsistence (maximum £12,000) to cover travel costs of the UK partner to the international partner and/or travel of the international partner to the UK.
- Training (maximum £5,000) to support the career development of the applicant and their research group or network.
How to Apply: Applications can only be submitted online using the Royal Society’s electronic Grant Application and Processing (e-GAP) system.
Award Provider: This scheme is funded by the Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy as part of the Newton Fund.