Enter: United Nations/Ranan Lurie Political Cartoon Awards 2017
The United Nations Ranan Lurie Awards invites political cartoonists of print publications, electronic media, and on-line media throughout the world to participate in said Competition for the Year 2016
Application Deadline: 15th November, 2017
Eligible Countries: Editorial cartoonists from around the world can enter this contest.
To be taken at (country): Online
About the Award: The UNITED NATIONS in its desire to promote the highest standard of excellence in political cartoons depicting the spirit of the United Nations has established this annual political cartoon award given in the international field, and named the award after political cartoonist Ranan Lurie.
- Submissions should reflect fundamental UN principals, the importance of human dignity, mutual respect and friendship among nations, as well as economic consideration and environmental responsibilities toward each other.
- Entries for these awards may be made by any professional individual, and should consist of political cartoons printed in any publication published anywhere, in any language. The entry must consist of reproductions only.The cartoon reproductions will be accepted only as published, with name of publication, language, and date included, accompanied by a newspaper reprint, and translated into English.
- Exhibits are limited to two cartoons per person.
- Reproductions must be presented measuring no larger than 8,5 x 11 inches. Envelopes larger than 8,5 x 11,5 inches and that are thicker than one eighth of one inch will not be opened, and their entries shall not participate in the competition.
- Submissions must have been published between Sept. 1, 2015 and Oct. 15, 2016.
- The Committee requires that all entries conform to the stated limits and sizes before it can be given any jury consideration. All exhibits should include a biography of no more than 75 words long, be written in clear English, and a picture of the entrant.
- The entries should be sent in soft envelopes, easy to open.
All materials including prize-winning exhibits become the property of The United Nations Ranan Laurie Political Cartoon Awards and will not be returned. Again: Only copies (not originals!) will be accepted for consideration. All material may be used for promotional purposes, including but not limited to inclusion in special United Nations albums or any other albums and/or exhibits.
- Our obligation is fulfilled upon the mailing of the plaques and/or valid checks to the award winners. Checks must be cashed within three months of mailing, after which time the checks will become null and void. The Committee will not be responsible for banking procedures and limitations of any country, or negligence that may create obstacles in cashing the check.
- The decisions of the judges are final and irrevocable.
Number of Awardees: 13
Value of Scholarship: The names of the winners of our thirteen prizes will be published on December 15, 2016, on this web site, together with their winning cartoons:
- First prize, of us$10,000 and a plaque.
- Second prize, of us$5,000 and a plaque.
- Third prize, of us$3,000 and a plaque.
- Ten honorable mention plaques granted by
The United Nations Ranan Laurie Awards Committee
How to Apply: Entries must be submitted in writing and addressed to:
THE UNITED NATIONS/RANAN LURIE
POLITICAL CARTOON AWARDS
25 Columbus Circle
New York, NY 10019
(No phone or fax calls or Emails, please). While cartoonists may send in what ever they please, the contest does not encourage maligning member nations.
Winning cartoons will be chosen for their high professional standards in art, political analysis of events, projection of events to come, humor, while also reflecting the spirit and principles of the U.N.
Award Provider: The United Nations
Important Notes: All winning entries will be announced via the worldwide press and on the website. All winners’ prizes, either financial and/or plaques, will be sent via U.S. registered mail by December 15, 2016, to the winners.