The UNFPA Internship Programme offers a small group of outstanding students the opportunity to acquire direct exposure to UNFPA operations. It is designed to complement development-oriented studies with practical experience in various…
United Nations Program
The United Nations (UN) is an international organization established in the year 1945 by 51 different countries after the Second World War was over. The 51 countries came together and formed the UN in San Francisco. As of recent, it has its headquarters suited in New York City, USA.
It was founded with the aim of sustaining international peace and security, being able to resolve the disagreement without war, creates strategies on international issues. And to also improve development in countries and excellent humanitarian services.
Meanwhile, like most important organizations, the United Nations programme was created to meet particular objectives and purposes.
Here are the 4 main purposes for Establishing the United Nations
- First of all, it’s to help maintain international peace and security in different countries. Thereby, taking productive measures for the prevention and elimination of threats to the peace of Nations.
- To build a friendly relationship among Nations depending on regard for the principle of equal rights and self-determination of each person in the nation. And to also take different necessary measures to boost universal peace.
- The next purpose is to accomplish international participation in resolving international issues of the cultural, economic, humanitarian, or social character. Thereby, promoting and supporting respect for fundamental freedoms and human rights without discrimination any religion, race, language, or gender.
- And the last one is to be a hub for harmonizing the actions of nations in the achievement of these common goals.
Brief on the United Nations Development Programme
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is an international global development programme founded in 1965 by the United Nations to aid eradicates poverty within Nations. The programme is totally funded by a voluntary donation from UN member states. They assist most developing countries by providing grants, expert advice and training in order to encourage technical and investment growth among nations.
United Nations Fellowships
UN provides several opportunities to Candidates to different nations. It can be in the form of grants, training or research fellowship and many more. The detail on some fellowships sponsored by the United Nations;
- Visiting PhD Fellowship: This is a fellowship programme available for candidates to carry out a research programme at the United Nations University (UNU) World Institute for Development Economics Research Programme every year.
It provides an opportunity for registered doctoral students to use the UNU resources and facilities for their PhD thesis research on developing economies. However, it will last for only 3 months and online applications are only accepted twice each year – 31st March and 30th September.
They provide fellows with a monthly stipend of €1,650 for living costs, a grant for travel expenses and medical insurance as well.
Candidates must have
- Enroll in a PhD programme.
- Capability to carry-out research on developing economies.
- English language skills.
- International Law Fellowship Programme: The United Nation office of Legal affairs offers a fellowship opportunity for students to under training on different topics of international law. The fellowship program welcomes up to 20 applicants. And it lasts for the duration of 6weeks each year at The Hague Academy of international law. The application procedure for the 2020 international law fellowship program is ongoing and the deadline is 24th of February.
- Junior Research Fellowship: The United Nations University offers fellowship opportunity to only graduate students from Columbia University School of International and Public affairs for a research program in the institution. Applicants must have a good command of English Language.
- Visiting Senior Research Fellowship: This is a fellowship programme available for visiting researchers to join other researchers in UNU institute in Macau to carry out research. It lasts for a duration of 3 to 6 months where high-quality research in the field of ICT and sustainable development.
They offer free accommodation and good office space for the fellow. Also, for fellowship with pay, it includes a travel fee of $1,500 and a stipend of $4900 to $6000. While for fellowship without pay, travel expenses may be provided.
- Have a PhD degree.
- Also, have a minimum of 10 years of experience in academic research.
United Nations Funding
When it comes to funding in UN, it involves two forms of contribution. They are the voluntary contributions and mandatory contributions. Meanwhile, the member states are the main sponsors funding the United Nations. Also, there are non-government organizations that also provide funds for UN. Such as Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the European Commission and many more.
But, when it comes to the peacekeeping budget and UN’s regular operating budget, the 193 member states are needed to pay a certain percentage for the budgets. We have the US, UK, Japan, Germany and EU as the 5 top UN funders.
In conclusion, the UN keeps growing and now made up of 193 member states. They’re now working together to combat Climate change and to achieve sustainable development goals.
The following programs are offered by the United Nations for the development of Africans youth – graduates and professionals | Scholarships | Competitions
The Application for the United Nations Academic Impact Millennium Fellowship Class of 2022 is now open for undergraduate students around to the world. Application Deadline: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Apply below.…
United Nations is offering Human Rights Fellowship to African descendants living in Diaspora for study in Switzerland 2021 . Application Deadline: 15th July 2021 Offered annually? Yes Eligible African Countries: Applicants of…
The United Nations Global Compact offers internship opportunities to recent graduates from all over the world in its New York office. Application Deadline: 21st October 2021 Eligible Countries: All To be taken at…
The United Nations in collaboration with the Nippon Foundation of Japan is offering fellowship opportunities in ocean affairs issues to government officials and other mid-level professionals from developing states. Application Deadline:…