Nicknamed Lboro, Luff, or Lufbra, Loughborough University dates as far back as 1909 as Loughborough Technical Institute. It is located in the market town of Loughborough, Leicestershire, East Midlands of England where its main campus is located. Loughborough is ranked top 10 of the three national league tables and has gained international attention as a result of its sport-related courses and accomplishments. Being a public university, Loughborough has over 18,000 international and national students where the postgraduates are over 4,000. Loughborough is research-driven and offers students the best experience while they are at it. Loughborough University’s vice-chancellor is Robert Allison.
Loughborough University Ranking
Loughborough University ranked 4th in the Guardian University League table, is the best university in the world to study sports-related subjects according to the global 2018 QS higher education league table, is 8th overall in the complete university guide 2020, 5th place in The Times Good University Guide 2019 and was also named university of the year, not just once but twice. Loughborough remained 5th in the Times Higher Education’s ‘table of tables’ in 2020. Loughborough came 48th in the European Teaching Rankings 2019, 62nd in the Young University Rankings, 351-400 in the World University Rankings.
Loughborough University Courses
Some of the undergraduate courses offered at Loughborough are as follows:
- Accounting and Financial Management
- Chemical Engineering
- Computer science and Artificial Intelligence
- Economics and Management
- Finance and Management
- Geography and Sport Science
- Industrial Design and Technology
- Advanced Chemical Engineering
- Banking and Finance
- Construction Management
- Cyber Security and Big Data
- Design Innovation Management
- Entrepreneurship, Finance and Innovation
- Exercise Physiology
- Finance and Investment
- Mechanical Engineering
Admission Requirements at Loughborough University
Loughborough University accepts a wide range of qualifications for entry. Normally, applicants are expected to have at least a C/4 in English Language and Mathematics for the GSCE.
- Three A levels for the A/AS where General Studies are usually exempted.
- Full International Baccalaureate Diploma with a minimum of three subjects studied at a higher level.
- A minimum of five Higher level passes at the Irish Leaving Certificate.
- For the BTECs, a combination of the National Extended Certificate/Subsidiary Diploma alongside two A levels and the National Diploma/Diploma with one level are acceptable, and applicants may get a chance to proceed to year two of their preferred course.
International Students Scholarship at Loughborough University
- Development Trust Africa Scholarship is available to new full-time postgraduate students from Africa and selection is principally based on academic excellence. It offers 100% off tuition fees for one year and application should be done only when an offer for a place has been made. The applicants should ensure that they are permanently living in Africa and should show evidence of exceptional academic performance. The applicants must be sure to return to their home country on completion of programme and evidence of capability to contribute positively to their home country. The applicants should also show a full understanding of the costs involved in embarking on the journey to study in the United Kingdom and proof of motivation and drive to secure funds for the remaining costs involved.
- Alumni Bursary offers 10% off tuition fees for self-funding postgraduate students who obtained their first degree from Loughborough University and are full-time students.
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) Chevening Scholarship is for students who have shown outstanding performances in various fields and have identified as potential future leaders. It offers a100% off tuition fees for a one year programme.
- Commonwealth Master’s Scholarship is open for students from low and middle-income Commonwealth countries to study a full-time programme and offers 100% off tuition fees.
- Daryl Jelinek Sporting scholarship supports any postgraduate course and the funding is available for the normal one year or two years if the option to split study is taken. Its offer stands for a rugby union individual with premiership senior academy, championship, England students, significant national 1, or equivalent experience. It is worth £2,000 – £4,000 per year according to playing experience.
- Government Sponsored Scholarship where international students could get sponsorship from their country. Applicants are expected to present an award letter which should supply the following information: Name, Sponsor’s student reference number, programme of study and academic year for which you are being sponsored, amount (in £ sterling) that the sponsor will pay, sponsor’s name, address to which invoice will be sent, payment contact details (name, e-mail address and telephone number).
- International Scholarships are for self-funded students and offer 25% off tuitions for the first year and awarded on the basis of outstanding academic performance.
- Music Tuition and Scholarships offer music lessons that are subsidized and scholarships for exceptional musicians. It is worth £200 for eight hours of music tuition and £500 worth of scholarship.
Different courses will have varying criteria for awarding scholarships. Generally, students are expected to have made the equivalent of A*AA to AAA in three full A-levels, and students with other international qualifications will also be considered. Only applicants who have made Loughborough University their first choice are eligible to apply. In a case where the applicant chooses to defer their application to the next academic year, the award will not be automatically deferred.
Below are Loughborough University UK offers scholarships for international students from African and developing countries to study at the university.
Add After School Africa to your Homescreen!
Recover your password.
A password will be e-mailed to you.