Call for Applications: UN Human Rights Council Mandate Holders 2020
Call for applications for 13 mandate holders (2 EMRIP members and 11 special procedures).
Application Deadline: 17th October 2019 (12 noon GMT)
About the Award: The Secretariat of the Human Rights Council presents its compliments to all Permanent Missions to the United Nations Office at Geneva, international organizations or their offices, national institutions, non-governmental organizations and other human rights bodies, and has the honour to inform them that the following thirteen mandate holders are to be appointed at the forty-third session of the Council (24 February to 20 March 2020).
- Expert Mechanism on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (EMRIP), member from the Arctic
- Expert Mechanism on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (EMRIP), member from Asia
- Independent Expert on the effects of foreign debt and other related international financial obligations of States on the full enjoyment of all human rights, particularly economic, social and cultural rights
- Independent Expert on the enjoyment of all human rights by older persons
- Independent Expert on the situation of human rights in Somalia
- Special Rapporteur on adequate housing as a component of the right to an adequate standard of living, and on the right to non-discrimination in this context
- Special Rapporteur on contemporary forms of slavery, including its causes and its consequences
- Special Rapporteur on extreme poverty and human rights
- Special Rapporteur on the right to food
- Special Rapporteur on the rights of indigenous peoples
- Special Rapporteur on the sale and sexual exploitation of children, including child prostitution, child pornography and other child sexual abuse material
- Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights defenders
- Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights in Myanmar
Number of Awards: 13
Duration of Programme:
- Award will be given at the forty-third session of the Council (24 February to 20 March 2020)
- The independent experts are appointed in the same way as other special procedure mandate holders, but for a three-year term renewable once.
How to Apply: To apply for the mandate, (1) complete the online survey and (2) submit the application form in Word format, which can be accessed under the specific mandate in the table below. Application forms are mandate-specific.
For appointments of EMRIP members, please see additional information.
Note: The appointment of mandate holders marked with an asterisk (*) below will be made provided the mandates themselves are extended by the Human Rights Council.