Fully Funded African World Heritage Fund (AWHF) Professional Immersion Fellowship 2021
The African World Heritage Fund (AWHF) is pleased to announce the Professional Immersion Fellowship to support African Heritage Practitioners, Academics, Site Managers and Young professionals in the field of natural and cultural heritage.
Application Deadline: 12th March 2021 (17.00 CAT)
About the Award: The main objective of the AWHF is to address the challenges faced by many States Parties in Africa in the implementation of the Convention Concerning the Protection of the World Cultural and Natural Heritage (hereinafter World Heritage Convention), specifically, the underrepresentation of African sites on the World Heritage List and the insufficient conservation and management of these sites.
The Professional Immersion Fellowship is funded by the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs through the African World Heritage Fund. The fellowship aims at supporting an African Professional to implement short term projects which focus on improving the state of conservation and sustainability of World Heritage properties in Africa.
- The applicant should be a citizen in any African country.
- Projects activities are restricted to African World Heritage Sites as declared by UNESCO.
- Proposals MUST address challenges affecting the State of Conservation of selected World heritage property. Projects addressing conservation and sustainability issues raised in the State of Conservation (SoC) reports and the decisions made by the World Heritage Committee will have added advantage.
- The project can address sustainability (presentation, entrepreneurship, tourism) at a World Heritage property.
- Site Managers, Youths, Heritage Professionals in Academia and Practitioners involved in the management and protection of World Heritage Sites are encouraged to apply.
- The application must be approved by the Head/Director of institution/organization accompanied by a cover letter from institution designated as responsible for World Heritage Sites (World Heritage Focal point) endorsing the project.
Selection Criteria: All applications will be assessed before the final decision is made. The assessment will be based on the following:
- Relevance and contribution of the project to conservation challenges and sustainability at a World Heritage property in Africa
- Quality of project design and use of innovative and cost-effective approaches;
- Clearly articulated, realistic and measurable outcomes
- Level of stakeholders’ involvement and participation
- Accurate and realistic budget
- Confirmation of support or co-funding mechanisms.
Eligible Countries: African countries
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award:
- The Professional Immersion Fellowship will only cover direct costs related to the project
- Applicants should provide detailed budget not exceeding US$ 10,000 as contribution of AWHF. The Funds cannot be used to purchase equipment (computers/laptops, cameras, field equipment), pay salaries and consultancy fees among others.
- Applicants should indicate any other financial or in-kind contributions to the project.
Duration of Award: The projects MUST be implemented within 3 months before 30 October 2021
How to Apply:
- Applications must be submitted either in English or French.
- Completed applications should be submitted via email (as attachment) to [email protected]
Application Document can be downloaded HERE
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.