10 Best Schools in London for International Students
Table of Contents:
- Introduction – Study in London overview
- How to apply for study in London
- How much does it cost to study in London?
- Cost of living in London for students
- List of Universities in London for international students
- Study in London scholarship
- Stay back option in UK after studies 2020
London – the capital of England and the largest city in the UK – has been one of the most popular travel destinations for many years. Its reputation is the result of consistent quality of education, world famous universities and obvious cultural diversity of the city.
WATCH: 25 Things You Didn’t Know About Studying In UK
Why STUDY in LONDON?
Why not in other countries, say Canada?
This has been a thriving question that this article attempts to answer and other questions it might give rise to.
There are a handful of reasons why international students are always in a quest to study in London. Some of the numerous reasons are;
- It offers over a wide range of courses, ranging from 20,000 to 30,000 courses
- It houses the location of several globally sought after universities.
- It encapsulates a vast collection of Library and academic books, providing a wide work space for research and other learning enhancements.
- It avails the students the opportunity to be recognized internationally.
- It avails one with core work experiences.
- It gives the students connection and access to other global companies.
- The students thus have their network of friends around other countries.
- Communication and language skills are enhanced as well.
Also, there is no doubt that Studying in London avails international students the opportunity to learn a diversified culture giving an edge to the students who choose to study in this great city. More importantly, it is a plus to a students CV and personal improvement.
ALSO WATCH: Studying in UK vs Canada – Which is better?
HOW TO APPLY FOR STUDY IN LONDON
The period of your study in London as an international student will probably be one of the most interesting phases of your life.
First, let’s hook at the general know-hows to secure your place at one of the universities in this great city.
Prior to your study in London, you ought to;
- Find the course of your interest
- Find the University of your Choice.
- Know the duration of your intended course of study.
- Gather enough information about the degree and course of study.
- Also be aware of the tuition fees and other costs of living.
FINDING THE RIGHT COURSE TO STUDY.
Studying the right course is paramount as your stay in London. There are over 10,000 courses taught in London and at such, finding a right study course without any prior objective might be difficult. There are right approaches to finding the right study course in London. A few of those approaches are enlisted below;
- Find the subject of your interest. The London subjects guides can be of great importance in finding out different subject areas.
- Ask yourself several questions like “will I find the course interesting?” and “will it be of help in my chosen career?” answer it for yourself.
- The London Study course database will be of great help to search for courses at several universities in London.
- Make proper findings on the courses available and srutinize the course content/outline, methods of teaching and do several other assessments.
- Bear in mind the tuition fees for your course. Information on tuition fees for several courses are listed in the link.
It is important to note that you can study an undergraduate course to earn a Bachelor degree or study a postgraduate course. The post graduate programme can be ;
- taught (The masters degree)
- researched (The PhD degree)
SOME UNDERGRADUATE COURSES IN LONDON UNIVERSITIES.
Although there are so great a number of courses to study in London, it will be my singular honour to take you through a few of them, and they are;
- Computer science
- Mechanic Engineering
- Marketing/ business studies
- Accounting and finance
- Applied educational leadership
- Bachelor of laws
- Banking and finance
- Business Administration
- Business Analytics
- Business and management
- Climate change and development
- Clinical Trials
- Commercial law
- Common law
- Computing and information systems
- Corporate strategy
- Creative computing
- Creative programming for digital media and mobile apps
- Data science
- Data science and business analytics
- Demography and health
- Development and Economics
- Digital humanities
- Digital innovation
- Divinity and theology
- Drafting Legislation, regulation and policy
- E-business and social media
- Economics and finance
- Economics and politics
- Economics and management
- English and common law
- English and American literature
- Film and screen production
- Radiography (Diagnostic)
- Radiography (Therapeutic)
- Real Estate Management
- Entrepreneurship and innovation management
….and many others, these are just to mention but a few courses offered in several universities in London.
Information about other courses can be easily accessed via their subjects. The most basic and common subjects found are;
- Architecture and landscape
- Art and design
- Building and construction
- Chemistry, Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical sciences
- Creative industries
- Creative writing
- Drama, Dance and Music
- Film and Media
- Health and social care sciences
- Journalism and Publishing
- Language and literature
- Life sciences
- Management, marketing and advertising
- Mathematics and data science
- Nursing and midwifery
- Politics, Human Rights and International Relations
- Social work and social care
- Sport science and Nutrition
WATCH: 10 Most Useless University Degrees By 2029
POSTGRADUATE COURSES OFFERED IN LONDON
This courses can be sorted out by way of applying the right subjects. The basic subjects that can be used are;
- Accounting, finance and banking
- Architecture and landscape
- Art and design
- Chemistry and pharmaceutical sciences
- Computing and information systems
- Creative industries and the creative economy
- Creative writing
- Digital media
- Environment and hazards
- Geographical information systems and science
- Human resource management
- International relations and politics
- Journalism and publishing
- Life sciences
- Management (General)
- Nursing and midwifery
- Performance, film and media
- Social sciences
- Social work
- Sport, performance and exercise
- Surveying and planning
Other post graduate courses (PhD) include;
- Doctor of Business Administration (DBA)
- Development and International Economics
- Doctor of Education
- Engineering Projects & Systems Management
- English Literature
- Environmental Management
- Healthcare Practice
- Historic Building Conservation
- Human Resource Management
- Human Rights
- Landscape Architecture
- Landscape and Urbanism
- Leadership and Management in Health
- Leadership and Management in Social Care
- Learning and Teaching in Higher Education
- Learning Disability Nursing MSc
- LLM in General Law
- Logistics and Supply Chain Management
- National Award for Special Educational Needs Coordination
- Network & Information Security
- Network & Information Security and Management Studies
- Networking & Data Communications
- Networking & Data Communications and Management Studies………and many more.
OTHER DEGREES THAT CAN BE PURSUED OR GAINED IN LONDON ARE;
- Postgraduate Diploma
- Master of philosophy
- Professional doctorate degree
- Doctor of philosophy
- Pre-masters programme
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO STUDY IN LONDON?
The COST of study in London has really been central in discussions due to its increasingly high cost. The international undergraduate fee differ ranging from £10,000 to £38,000 or more depending on the discipline.
From these, suffice to say that chemical courses (especially the laboratory and clinical courses respectively) cost more while the social sciences and humanities cost lesser.
While preparing for study in London,you ought to know that studying in the UK is viewed as cheaper compared to studying inother universities of its kind in the United States.
The tuition fees for UK graduate degrees generally range from $18,000 – $25,000 (all falling back to the exchange rate at time of study). On the average, the cost that students spend on daily living lies between $1,300- $1,800 for each month of study. This has to do with the choice of the student to stay inside or outside London.
STUDY IN London is quite expensive. Good thing however is, the price will pay off in due time. Most times especially in Nigeria, before purchasing goods, people try to check and check again till they are sure that they are not making a wrong choice. This can as well be the testimony of your decision to study in London if you place it under proper consideration.
WATCH: 10 Countries You Can Study Abroad Without IELTS or TOEFL + Universities
WHAT IS THE COST OF LIVING IN LONDON?
Sponsoring yourself to study in London is tasking. According to the UKVI- UK Visa and Immigration, you ought to have a budget of about £1,300 for each month in the duration of your course. This is different from your tuition fees, it could probably only take care of your living cost. This explains that if you will be studying any course in London for a period of nine (9) months, your net worth would have to be about £11,700.
Accommodation costs in London however varies with respect to the student’s choice of location and other decisions made. Anyways, the university bid accommodation, this could either be catered for by them, that is taking care of the feeding and other bills or catered for by the individual, that is, providing just the accommodation for rent while the individual takes care of his or her needs. However ways it may be, the NayionalStudents Accommodation Survey carried out in 2017 has it that students spend at least;
- £125(~US$175) per week on rent in the UK &
- (£182/US$257) per week on rent in London.
The cost of living thus differ with respect to the region. At this, students are required to make proper research and findings on locations to live in London.
Students wanting to enroll for a course in London should also bear in mind that aside the accommodation, there are other things that must be put in place for a well organized study life, they include; the cost of
- Weekly food shop
- Books and other materials.
In addition to other costs that may be incurred, the student will need approximately £105 for each week of the course duration for other living costs. This is however dependent on the individual’s lifestyle and socialization.
You need not be scared of how much cost will be incurred in your stay in London because there are other ways to minimize spending. Some of such ways are;
- Freely attend free seminars, lectures and other events held during the duration of your study.
- Travel around London at students discounted rates and save up to 30% on travelcards.
- Aside discounts gotten for travel, there are other discounts students enjoy in London, all ranging from books for study to travel and even down to tickets for eating out and cinemas.
All theses and many more could give you a friendly cost while you study abroad but you have to be informed, that is, very right and up to doing with information. As a matter of fact, information on anything as a student should be at your finger tips.
LIST OF UNIVERSITIES IN LONDON FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS.
Unlike the very regular universities around the world, studying in London avails one with a great deal of time for research as universities there are well known for their input in research activities.
Some of these universities include:
- Oxford university
- Kingston university
- University of Manchester
- University College London
- University of Southampton
- Bristol University
- University of Buckingham
- University of Nottingham
- Amongst all other universities in London, the following are regarded as cheapest;
- University College London
- Coventry university
- Ulster university
- Ravensbourne university
- University of West London
- Middlesex University
- University of Sunderland
- Cambridge university
- Imperial college, London
- London school of economics and political science
- Edinburgh university
- Kings College London
- Manchester university
- Warwick university
- Sussex university
- University of Exeter
- Lancaster university
- Durham university
- University of York
- Southampton university
- Sheffield university
- Queen mary university of London
- Glasgow university
- St. Andrews university
- East Anglia university
- Aberdeen university
- Leicester university
- Leeds university
- Liverpool university
- Nottingham university business school
- Swansea university
- Bath university
- Royal Holloway university of London
10 BEST SCHOOLS IN LONDON FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
London has a population of over 8.5 million people (results concluded after the 2014 elections). It is the capital of the United kingdom and the home of over two hundred thousand (200,000) international students, from over two hundred (200) countries. The colleges and universities in London are amounting to a total of fifty (50), some ot9them have also found themselves top in the world’s best university list due to some outstanding efforts and performance put in place.
This probably looks like the bed rock of this article itself. Even though we have given out a list of schools in London, we’ll quickly give a run down of the top BEST schools in London for international students. We can infer that this is definitely not a simple task to do as most universities in London are trying their best to keep up with the unwavering standard of education. Let’s have a quick look at some top universities in London….
- University College London: This school ranks the best in London as of the time this article was published. It is a very popular university and most international students are conversant with the university. It ranks the eighth (8) BEST university in the world. Over twenty percent (20%) of the university’s student are international students. It has a very high number of post graduate student, over fifty percent (50%) and it offers a vast range of courses to its students.
- Imperial college London: This university specializes more in science and technology; it is appreciated globally and ranks ninth (9th) position in the world’s best university list. It has a very large business school as well as medical equipment which are up to standard. Not just that, it had the largest medical facility in London. It is yet another university in which international students are so much interested in studying.
- King’s college London: It is ranking thirty third (33rd) in the world’s list of best university. It is as well one of the oldest colleges in London. The university is popularly known for its foremost involvement in research, It has a particularly good reputation for courses in the humanities, law and the sciences, including health sciences. Claiming to be “the most central university in London”, King’s College London has five London campuses, four of which are fairly close together by the River Thames, near iconic landmarks such as Tower Bridge, the London Eye and Big Ben.
- London school of economics and political science: This is one school in the UK that specializes more in the social sciences. The school is ranked as fourty forth (44th) in the world’s universities ranking. It is rated high in subject rankings and it is a global model for other subjects like anthropology, politics, sociology, law. It is yet another institution with high influx of international students and at such, there are over a hundred (100) languages spoken in the university.It’s location is as precious as it Is, located in the heart of the city in the Chancery Lane area, this has a historic chain with the legal practitioners and professors. Its location as well is at a walkable distance to the British Library,thee university is very close the nightlife and theaters of the West End and the cultural institutions of Trafalgar Square.
- Queen Mary University of London:It is currently ranking 126th in the world’s best university list. It avails students tge opportunity for research and training over a vast range of subjects. The main campus of the university is situatedin the Mile End, set along the Regent’s Canal and very close to many of the currently discovered and trendy parts of the East End – including the curry houses of Brick Lane, art galleries of Whitechapel and Hoxton, and hipster-filled bars and music venues of Shoreditch. In the year 2015, Queen Mary University of Londonmade known her plans of making available a free business advice scheme for start-ups in the UK. The plan is aimed at improving the financial and Technology industries. The scheme is currently known as the algal scheme.
- Royal Holloway, University of London: The university is away from London central unlike most of other universities of London. Even though it is still within the London area, it is a little further out. The university is situated in a location whose distance is not up to an hour by the train journey from central London. The university is ranking two hundred and ninety first (291st) in the world’s best university list and at such, it is yet another globally recognized university. It has a minimum of ten thousand (10,000) students and trust me, about twenty percent (20%) of this population are students from outside London, international students. It as well offers a wide range of cour6but is remarkably known for its strength in the arts and humanities. From This, it is ranked nineteenth (19th) in performing arts by the world’s university rankings made by subjects. It has a very beautiful and fabulous campus environment and is known as one perfect institution for students who wants2to live a suburban kind of lifestyle while studying in London.
- School of Oriental and African Studies : The school of Oriental and African studies is currently ranking three hundred and ninety (309th) in the world’s best university list. The school of Oriental and African studies was instituted in the 1910’s and was having the name School of Oriental studies at the time of its institution. Currently, it offers over three hundred and fifty (350) undergraduate degree and courses and over one hundred and fifteen (115) postgraduatehonours.The university is known for her distinguishable studies in languages, societies and cultures of Africa, Asia and probably others middle and near East. We say that the school of Oriental and Africa studies is distinguishable because it is the only institution that focuses in this areas as an arrangement of specialization. In the school of Oriental and Africa studies, more than half of the university’s population of students are from outside LONDON, international students availing the school with over one hundred and thirty there (133) language speaking countries on campus. The university, just like the University College London (UCL) and other universities in the Bloomsbury area in London is known for its ever gloomy and attractive garden squares, specific concentration in academic resource studies (This includes the library at the Senate house and even the international library) and its history in artistic and intellectual habitat.
- Birkbeck College, University of London: Birkbeck College, University of London is currently on the three hundred and twenty eighth (328th) position in the world’s best university list. The Birkbeck College, university of London is one of the top ranking institutions that availsstudents running evening courses with the opportunity to complete their full degree not even denying them the loan grants and even visa given to other students running the daytime study courses.Birkbeck college, university of London is situated as well in the Bloomsbury area, close to University College London and School of Oriental and African studies and is along thewalkable distance of most attractions of central London. The Birkbeck College London outlines its schedules bearing in mind that some students are working-class students. Its programme is orga6in a way that students can complete a day’s work before coming to school. Most students make the most of this benefit provided by the school, especially the part time students. The school offers courses for both undergraduate degrees and post graduate degrees.
- City, University of London: City, University of London was known as City University London in time past. It is amongst the top best universities in London and is currently ranking three hundred and forty nineth (349th) position in the world’s best university list. It’s nme came as a result of its intimate relationship with London city financial section, also refered to as square miles. One of the strength of the city, university of London is that it has a strong bond of connection with most of the leading industries and companies in this very competitive sector. This includes both the clinical, media, research and the financial branches of the sector. Another plus that the City, university of London has is that Lord Mayor of London is its vice Chancellor. It offers a wide range of courses but is best known for its foremost concern and attachment with the Cass Business School, City Law School and the School of Health Sciences. It is variegated in its programme and at such appears in n the global top 50 indicator for international students globally. The city, university of London has a population of over nineteen thousand five hundred (19,500) students of which over ten percent (10%) are from the home country and another twenty-five percent (25%) are from outside countries, international students.
- Brunel University: Bristol University was after Named after the Victorian engineer Isambard Kingdom Brunel. The Brunel University is ranking three hundred and fifty nineth (359th) position in the world’s best university list. Even with its affiliation for engineering, it as well iffers a wide range of itger courses in arts, business, social sciences, health, law, health and social sciences, information systems and sport. The school’s study environment of students are vast and diverse with over thirteen thousand (13,000) students of which more than fifteen percent (15%) are from outside countries, international students. Their study location is the Brunel’s campus in Uxbridge, West London, which is approximately an hour from the city center on the London Underground. It has a complete and well to do student community, with accommodation, libraries, bars, restaurants, a sports center and green spaces all within walking distancedue to the fact that it is a campus-based university.
STUDY IN LONDON SCHOLARSHIPS
Despite the cost of studying in London, there are scholarships that could also ease one of the many burdens. Example of scholarships;
- Fully funded scholarship: This included the cost of living as well as the tuition fees but this scholarship is highly competitive and as such, most candidates who qualify for it have very strong educational background.
- Partly funded scholarship: This scholarship covers just the tuition fees and does not make provisions for the cost of living.
- Country Specific scholarship: This scholarship are majorly put forward by governing bodies of a particular country and those eligible for this scholarship are those from a particular or stipulated home country. For example, scholarship for international UK students.
- Course Specific Scholarship: Those that are eligible for this scholarship are those studying or wanting to study a particular course. For example: Scholarship for medical students.
And many other types of scholarships.
STAY BACK OPTION IN UK AFTER STUDIES 2020
A good number of students might prefer to STAY back after studying in London for good personal reasons, one of which is work/jobs. The thing is, upon completion of your international course of study, students are given within a space of 4 months to 2 years depending on the terms, after which you must return back to your home country or apply for a different visa, most likely a work visa from UK visa and Immigration. The visa also ranges from TIER (1-5) visa.
I trust this has been helpful even though there might still be questions on your mind. Give us a feedback via mail or our social media handles for all your questions.
Watch Interesting Videos from Our Channel
How to Stop Being Broke - 9 Things to Do
Why Rwanda Is The Fastest Growing Economy In Africa
14 Things You Need To Know About Wealth across Africa