Daikin-Samurai Incubate Africa Ideathon 2020 for African Entrepreneurs (Fully-funded)
African startups are invited to apply for the Daikin-Samurai Incubate Africa Ideathon, for a chance to pitch innovative solutions to Daikin, a USD 200 Bn turnover Japan-based company and world’s leading Air Conditioning company. The winning startup pitch will also stand a chance to receive an investment from Samurai Incubate, a Japanese early-stage venture capital firm.
Application Deadline: 20th November 2019
Eligible Countries: African countries
To be Taken at (Country): Nairobi, Kenya
About the Award: Daikin -Samurai Incubate Africa Ideathon’ is an initiative by the leading multinational AirConditioning brand DAIKIN and African early stage VC – Samurai Incubate. The Ideathon aims to find the 10 most innovative startups across Africa who are keen to partner and expand their business with Japanese partners. The startup holds a chance to get in a partnership with Daikin and an exciting chance to get funded by Samurai Incubate Africa.
In Africa, Daikin is interested in trying a completely new and innovative method to sell their products (such as pay-as-you-go/subscription payment model, securitization of the items and etc.) to allow ACs to be beneficial and installable for as many households/commercial properties/buildings as possible.
In fact, the quality of Daikin’s products is absolutely appraised worldwide without a question, but in addition, the company has strong know-hows for capacity building of local engineers for installment/repair/maintenance of ACs, and therefore strongly wishes to contribute to job creation and empowerment of African people as well.
Samurai Incubate Africa Inc., a Japanese venture capital firm focusing on investment into African startups, will co-organize ideathon with Daikin to find a great company to be invested in.
Are you operating in Africa, looking to find a Japanese partner to scale your business? This is an exclusive opportunity to introduce your company to a Japanese investor and the world’s largest AC company from Japan.
- Your company is for-profit and registered as an independent legal entity;
- You have a product or service available on the market and generate revenue in the following business domains;
- Fintech (Daikin has a special interest in collaborating with startups having mobile money/banking/payment/lending solutions)
- Property Tech / Real Estate Tech
- Clean Energy
- Air Tech
- Your product or service is designed for scale;
- You have a very strong management team of at least 2 people;
- Your company is based in or planning to expand into one or more countries on the African continent where there is a demand for air conditioners;
- You are seeking an opportunity to be a potential African partner for scaling your business as well as Daikin’s business penetration in Africa by collaboration and partnership;
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award:
- All-expenses-paid trip (air ticket, accommodation and visa for up to two members of your team) to Nairobi on Dec 9-12, 2019
- Winner at the pitch event will have right to receive investment of $100,000-150,000 from Samurai Incubate Africa Inc.
- A few participants proposing great ideas of Daikin’s potential sales expansion during the ideathon will be invited to a committee in early 2020 in order to discuss partnership between the parties further in detail. Once the partnership is agreed and approved, you can commence Proof-of-Concept (POC) of such idea with budget fully covered by Daikin.
If you are selected as a participant startup, you are expected to:
- Prepare to explain why you could be a great African partner for Daikin and how your product / service can support Daikin’s business expansion
- Be prepared to travel to Nairobi in the period of December 9-12, 2019 to attend the event.
- If you are required a visa to travel to Kenya, take necessary procedures and acquire a visa before flying to Kenya. The visa fee will be reimbursed from us.
Duration of Award: Dec 9-12, 2019
How to Apply: Apply Here
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.
Watch Interesting Videos from Our Channel
10 Best Places To Study Abroad If…
Don’t Take This Common Advice If…
7 Lessons from the 2020 Pandemic and Economic Threat