TWAS-SAREP Regional Young Scientists’ Conference 2019 – Kenya
The Kenya National Academy of Sciences (KNAS) in partnership with the World Academy of Sciences Sub-Saharan Africa Regional Partner (TWAS-SAREP) will be hosting the Annual Regional Young Scientists’ Conference from 23-25 October 2019 in Nairobi, Kenya. The theme for the conference is Water-Food-Climate/Energy Nexus and Policy in Africa.
Application Deadline: 23rd August 2019 at 16h00 Central African Time (CAT)
Eligible Countries: sub-Saharan African countries
To be Taken at (Country): Kenya
About the Award: KNAS and its partners invites emerging/young scientists from sub-Saharan Africa to apply to participate in this multilateral conference. The conference is envisaged to bring about experts/senior scientists as key speakers, policy makers and young scientists to deliberate on topical issues affecting Africa.
The theme of this year’s conference is aligned with Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 6: Water and sanitation, while the sub-themes are aligned to Science, Technology and Innovation Strategy for Africa (STISA 2024), an African Union policy and strategy document for leveraging science, technology and innovation to accomplish development goals. Its mission is to “accelerate Africa’s transition to an innovation led, knowledge-based economy”.
The conference will seek to address critical issues pertinent to Africa’s development challenges as identified in STISA 2024 through rigorous scientific debate and interrogation of policy dimensions in the four sub-themes, namely: Food Security in Africa; Climate Change and environmental protection; Water resources exploitation and management; and Energy and Sustainable Development in Africa. The young scientists will also get to be trained on science diplomacy and sustainable development goals with the objective of exposing to the real world of the complex interaction between the scientists, the policy makers and the implementers.
Conference sub-themes: The conference is aimed at exploring in detail the following sub-themes and they are aligned to STISA 2024 priority areas as indicated against each sub-theme
- (a) Food Security in Africa
- (b) Climate change and environmental protection.
- (c) Water resources exploitation and management in Africa; and (d) Energy and Sustainable Development in Africa
Eligibility: The 2019 call for applications is open to emerging/young scientists and early career researchers from sub-Saharan Africa. Consideration will be given to applicants who meet the following criteria: ➢
- Be from or working in sub-Saharan Africa
- Be under the age of forty (40)
- Be in possession of at least a Masters degree and enrolled for PhD
- Have research interests in the conference sub-themes
- Submit an abstract (online form) that is relevant to the conference theme
- Be willing to present and share current research results at the conference
- Applications from STLCs and LDCs are highly encouraged
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: There is no registration fee to attend the conference. Further communication about the conference will only be limited to the successful applicants.
Duration of Award: 23-25 October 2019
How to Apply: Apply via Application Form Link below
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.