Mbarara University of Science and Technology (MUST) Masters Scholarships 2019/2020 for Young Ugandan Women
The Faculty of Science and the Faculty of Interdisciplinary Studies (FIS) of Mbarara University of Science and Technology (MUST) are partnering with the Royal Museum for Central Africa, KU Leuven, University of Antwerp, Belgium and University of Kinshasa, DRC to implement a 5-year multidisciplinary project titled Action Towards Reducing Aquatic snail-borne Parasitic diseases with funding support from Belgium Development Agency (DGD)– 2019 – 2023.
Application Deadline: 17th July 2019, 5:00 pm EAT.
Eligible Countries: Uganda
To be Taken at (Country): Mbarara University of Science and Technology (MUST), Uganda
About the Award: The overall aim of the ATRAP project is to aid in the prevention of aquatic snail-borne parasitic diseases in Uganda and Congo, through a multi-disciplinary approach. Within the project, 5 PhD researchers and 5 Masters students affiliated to universities in DR Congo, Uganda and Belgium will tackle various research questions ranging from the ecological aspects of the infection cycle to the societal mechanisms at play determining schistosomiasis risk perception and knowledge transfer. The project greatly values involvement of females in the fight against snail-borne diseases, given that women (and children) are at a greater risk of infection compared to other groups.
We are therefore looking for female candidates to fill two (2) Master’s positions at Mbarara University of Science and Technology: one (1) in the Social-Cultural and Communication aspects of the project and the other in the Biological aspects of the project. A summary of the project is in Award Webpage (see Link below)
Selection Criteria: The advert is open to all eligible female Ugandans. The MSc in Biology applicant should be willing to study the ecology of the intermediate host snails of parasite as well as profiling the animal footprint in the parasite cycles.
The salient attributes we are looking for are as follows:
a) Master of Science (biological) applicant
- Must have an admission letter to pursue an MSc in Biology (either Natural Resources’ Ecology, Management and Conservation, or Microbiology and Parasitology option) at Mbarara University of Science and Technology.
- The applicant must have a Bachelor’s degree in Biology or any other relevant Biological science acquired from a recognised university.
- Experience in working with project related activities is an added advantage.
b) MA (Socio-Science) applicant
1. Must be an admitted student at MUST under either of the following programmes:
- MA in Development Studies
- MA in conflict Analysis and Inclusive Development
- MA in Local Governance and Planning
- Master of Public Health
2. Should have a Bachelor’s degree in humanities e.g. sociology, anthropology, development
studies, gender, community development etc. from a recognised university.
Number of Awards: 2
Value of Award: The scholarship caters for tuition fees, research costs, and a monthly stipend in Uganda. The applicants must therefore be willing to be full-time students dedicated to their studies and project work and will be based at MUST with an office space on full-time basis.
Duration of Award: 2 years
How to Apply: The successful applicant will work under the supervision of Dr. Casim Umba Tolo (Promoter, MUST), Dr. Viola Nilah Nyakato (Co-Promoter, MUST), Dr. Tine Huyse (Promoter– Royal Museum for Central Africa, Belgium), Dr. Caroline Masquillier (Co-Promoter, Antwerp), Prof. Karolien Poels (Co-Promoter, Antwerp) and other project team members from Uganda and Europe.
The application package should include:
- A letter of motivation
- A cover letter (1 page)
- A CV (2 pages)
- Copies of academic documents
- A letter of recommendation from the current employer/immediate supervisor (1 page) – if applicable
- A letter from an academic referee supporting your application (1 page). The application should be compiled into one document of no more than 8 pages in total
- Only complete applications will be assessed
- The applications should be addressed (and submitted) to the local promoter by email: [email protected] Ensure that the following emails addresses are included in the cc: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], and [email protected]
- All applications should be submitted by 17th July 2019, 5:00 pm EAT.
- The selection process will involve two stages – a pre-selection phase between 17th and 24th July 2019, and the final selection between 24th and 31st July 2019. The successful candidates should be ready to start their studies at the beginning of the academic year 2019/2020 scheduled for mid-August, 2019.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Please include your WhatsApp and Skype Addresses for easy communication
Watch Interesting Videos from Our Channel
25 Amazing Things You Should Do Before You Turn 25
25 Reasons You Should Study Abroad
25 Things You Didn’t Know About Studying In Italy