Climate Research for Development (CR4D) in Africa Initiative 2019 for African Researchers
The African Academy of Sciences (The AAS), the United Kindgoms’ Department for International Development (DFID) Weather and Climate information SERvices for Africa (WISER) programme and the Africa Climate Policy Centre (ACPC) of the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa are announcing the implementation of a multimillion dollar initiative to support Africa-led climate science research through the Climate Research for Development (CR4D) in Africa initiative.
Application Deadline: 10th February 2019.
Eligible Countries: African countries
About the Award: The CR4D initiative was conceptualized at the Africa Climate Conference in 2013 as a mechanism to strengthen links between climate science research and climate information needs to support development planning in Africa. The initiative addresses climate research priority areas that have been identified in Africa by African researchers.
Over the next year, CR4D will support research into identified priority areas for climate change and development linkages. The research will cover foundational climate science, impacts, information and research translation and engagement with policy and decision-making communities. The goal will be to produce research outputs that inform policy in climate sensitive sectors to better prepare Africa to deal with the impacts of climate change.
- CR4D candidates must be hosted by or affiliated with a university, research institute or other eligible institution of higher education in Africa.
- They must and hold a PhD in climate or related sciences and/or have a proven track record of high-quality, impactful research in a relevant field.
- Applicants must have a clearly defined scientific research proposal
- All African nationals are eligible to apply.
Number of Awards: 15
Value of Award:
- CR4D will award 1-year research grants to 15 African climate researchers of up to USD 130,000.
- Through The AAS Rising Research Leaders programme, grantees will be supported to develop as independent research leaders through training, mentoring, and networking opportunities that will enable international collaborations.
Duration of Programme: 1 year
How to Apply: Apply Here
- It is important to go through all application requirements on the Programme Webpage see link below) before applying