Ghanaian Women’s Social Leadership Program 2019 at New York University (NYU Wagner) for Women in Ghanaian Civil Society
New York University’s Robert F Wagner Graduate School of Public Service and Fundacion Mujeres for Africa are pleased to invite mid-career women from civil society organizations in Ghana to apply to be part of the 2019 Ghanaian Women’s Social Leadership Program (GWSLP).
Application Deadline: 3rd February 2019
Eligible Countries: Ghana
About the Award: The Ghanaian Women’s Social Leadership Program (GWSLP) is a program developed by NYU Wagner in collaboration with Fundación Mujeres por África and Banco Santander. The program offers a one-year, cohort-based leadership development program for women in mid-level positions in Ghanaian civil society organizations. Through the program’s leadership development, individualized coaching, and networking opportunities, GWSLP participants develop the skills and support needed to lead transformational change in their communities and society at large.
Ghanaian women make invaluable contributions to their country’s social, economic, and political growth. However, these contributions are often underrepresented and women in Ghana often lack access to positions of higher authority. The GWSLP offers mid-career women an opportunity to grow as leaders, take on new leadership roles, and tackle the pressing issues in their communities.
The program is a part of Ghana Wins! partnership program at New York University, which aims to strengthen the capacity of Ghanaian women as leaders in healthcare, education and civil society.
Type: Training, Fellowship
- Be 25 – 36 years old.
- Be a mid-career woman with a minimum of 4 years of work experience in government or civil society. Experience in other fields such as academia, business or journalism is also accepted, as long as they are related to public and social issues, particular to women’s empowerment.
- Ideal applicants are program coordinators, managers or directors in civil society organizations or are journalists writing and advocating for women’s issues.
- Be a resident of Accra or the vicinity areas at the time of application.
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- Be currently employed and must be committed to work in the same organization the year they participate in the GWSLP.
- Commit to participate in all GWSLP activities, and successfully design and complete an Action Learning project at the end of the program.
- Have the support of the employer and organization before completing the application.
- Submit an Employer Endorsement Letter together with the application. The letter should indicate your employer’s endorsement to participate in the program as described above, in relation to the organization vision and mission.
- Before submitting this application, it is your responsibility to contact your employer to ensure that they have completed the endorsement letter and that they have endorsed your full participation to attend the training. We recommend you show the program schedule to your employer.
- Exhibited leadership: Capability for leadership at work and community; her ability to take initiative, motivate and work with others; and interest in developing her leadership and making a difference in her society.
- Interest and commitment to social change: Interest in issues of public importance or social change work, the displayed awareness of social realities in her country, and the desire to contribute to social change.
- Self-starter: Engagement in projects important to her, to judge her capacity to apply program lessons in her organization.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award:The GWSLP program offers:
- Two week-long intensive leadership institutes, one in Ghana and one in New York City facilitated by experienced leadership development academics and practitioners;
- Hands-on, interactive workshops, and site visits that offer opportunities for reflection, peer learning, team building, and networking;
- Opportunity to design and implement an Action Learning Plan to tackle a critical community or organizational need;
- Expert coaching through the duration of the program and during the execution of the Action Learning Project; and,
- Opportunity to join a network of dynamic women leaders in Ghanaian civil society who are contributing to strengthen leadership and social sector organizations in Ghana.
Duration of Programme: 1 year
How to Apply:
- It is important to go through all application requirements oin the Programme Webpage see link below) before applying