Apply: FAO/Government of Switzerland International Innovation Award for Sustainable Food and Agriculture 2017/2018
FAO and the Government of Switzerland are calling on individuals, private companies or institutions to submit a nomination for one of the following categories before 28 February 2019.
Application Deadline: 28th February 2019
Eligible Countries: International
About the Award: Agricultural innovation is the process whereby individuals or organizations bring new orexisting products, processes or ways of organization into use for the firsttime in a specific context in order to increase effectiveness, competitiveness,resilience to shocks or environmental sustainability and thereby contribute tofood security and nutrition, economic development or sustainable naturalresource management.
The Federal Government of Switzerland is pleased to sponsor an International Innovation Award for Sustainable Food and Agriculture (the Award). FAO has agreed to provide its technical support to the Award for the nomination period 2017-2018.
Eligibility: As the award is funded by the Government of Switzerland, the award shall be limited to innovations related to agriculture and pastoral systems only, as per the requirements and technical competencies of the Swiss Federal Office of Agriculture.
In the spirit of United Nations Decade of Family Farming and aligned to the aspirations and goals of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, the candidates should demonstrate the important role of their innovation for the future of sustainable food and agriculture and the improvement of food security and nutrition for all, particularly in the face of increased environmental challenges. The Award specific criteria are as follows :
for Digitalization and innovation for Sustainable Food Systems (USD 40 000):
- The innovation must impact more than one level of supply chain from farmers to consumers.
- The innovation must strengthen the link between farmers and consumers, e.g. through tracking sustainability features of traded food and agriculture products.
- Award for
innovations that empower youth in agriculture and food systems(USD 20 000):
- The innovation must strengthen the role of youth (under 35) in agriculture and food systems.
The Award General criteria are as follows:
- Quality and merit of the innovation
- Potential benefit, impact and sustainability
- Value for money
- Eligibility and General rules
- Both categories of the award consider innovations that have been successfully implemented and validated. The Award is conferred for innovations implemented during the biennium preceding the current one.
- Individuals, private companies andinstitutions responsible for an innovation that has demonstrated particularefficiency and used novel tools, products or services to enhance and promotesustainable food and agriculture can apply.
- Nomination forms that areincomplete, do not comply with the terms and conditions, or are submittedbeyond the deadline, according to the instructions provided, will not beconsidered.
- No applicants under the age of 18 will be considered for the Award.
- The submission of a Nomination Form isfree of charge.
- By submitting a Nomination Form,applicants agree that personal data, especially name and address may beprocessed, shared, and otherwise used for the purposes and within the contextof the Award nominations. The data may also be used to verify the applicants’identity, postal address and telephone number or to otherwise verify theapplicants’ eligibility to submit a Nomination Form.
- If the nomination is made by a private company or institution, the nomination form should be signed and presented bythe legal representative and confirmation of his/her authorization to presentthe nomination should be provided.
Number of Awards: 2
Value of Award: The award is open to individuals,private companies or institutions and comprises two categories:
- The first prize, USD 40,000, is awarded for excellence in digitization and innovation for sustainable food systems
- The second prize of USD 20,000 recognises an innovation that empowers youth in agriculture and food systems.
The recipient of the award will also receive a scroll describing his/her achievements and/or an award.
How to Apply: Proposals for nominations should be submitted using the attached Nomination Form by 28 February 2019 to the Secretariat of the Award at the following email address: [email protected] for endorsement and submission to the Screening Committee.