IAS/AVAC Media Scholarship Programme 2019 for Journalists Reporting on HIV (Funded to Mexico)
The IAS/AVAC Media Scholarship Programme is open to all journalists and community educators reporting on HIV for a recognized print, radio, broadcast or online consumer, medical, community or AIDS Service Organization-sponsored media outlet in any country who is at least 18 years old at the time of the conference.
Application Deadline: 24th January 2019, 23:59 CET.
Eligible Countries: International
To be taken at (country): Mexico
About the Award: The IAS/AVAC Media Scholarship Programme makes the conference accessible to a select group of highly-qualified journalists who would not otherwise be able to attend and report on the conference proceedings. The programme also provides a training on HIV research, a series of briefings through the conference week and targeted support to help journalists strengthen their HIV reporting skills.
Type: Conference, Grants
Eligibility: Priority will be given to journalists:
- Representing national top tier media outlets or wire services with a wide regional or national reach, regardless of the medium.
- With a proven history of covering HIV and/or AIDS and/or infectious diseases. Scientific and broader reporting are both encouraged.
- Based in resource-limited settings as well as journalists representing target countries/regions of interest, including South East Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean and sub-Saharan Africa.
- Demonstrating a strong commitment to reporting on HIV and/or AIDS. Emphasis will be given to journalists and outlets with a background in reporting on global health topics, infectious diseases and HIV and/or AIDS more specifically.
- Who are part of a key population or living with HIV.
Number of Awards: Limited
Value of Award: Recipients of the IAS/AVAC Media Scholarship will receive:
- Travel to and from the 10th IAS Conference on HIV Science (IAS 2019) (roundtrip ticket at lowest fare available from the nearest international airport)
- Accommodation (in a budget hotel for the days of the conference)
- A daily living allowance for each of the days of the conference (21-24 July 2019)
- Participation in the IAS/AVAC Media Scholarship programme including a day-long training with HIV experts, briefings, press conferences and site visits, and dedicated support in the conference media centre.
Please note that the programme will not reimburse any costs incurred prior to receiving a scholarship. Scholarships do not include visa costs, transportation to/from the airport, or any other incidental cost.
Duration of Programme: 21-24 July 2019
How to Apply:
- The application process is entirely free. Applicants must create a user account to fill in an individual application form. A letter of recommendation and three bylined work samples are required to complete the application.
Watch Interesting Videos from Our Channel
Top 10 Canadian University to Study Medicine
25 Things You Did Not Know About Studying In India
This One Skill Will Secure Your Future – And How To “Learn” It