ISQua Lucian Leape Patient Safety Fellowship Award 2019 for Physicians and Healthcare Leaders in Developing Countries
The Lucian Leape Patient Safety Fellowship is now launched and applications are now being accepted.
Application Deadline: 15th February 2019
Eligible Countries: Developing Countries
About the Award: The Lucian Leape Patient Safety Fellowship Award has been established in 2018 and was announced at ISQua’s 35th International Conference in Kuala Lumpur. The objective is to fund physicians and health care leaders in developing countries, to advance and expand their expertise in patient safety, with the resultant improvement of safety of patients in their local area.
The Fellow will be linked to a mentor at the start of the programme. Mentors may be ISQua Experts or members of the International Academy of Quality and Safety in Health Care (IAQS). In collaboration with the mentor, the Leape Fellow will design a curriculum designed to ensure learning on theories of Patient Safety with a focus on measurement and interventions to decrease adverse events and harm.
Type: Fellowship, Award
Eligibility: To be considered for this Programme, candidates must possess a number of key skills and attributes. Candidates will be shortlisted based on their completed application form, and in particular, their personal statement. Successful candidates will then take part in a telephone interview with a panel representing ISQua and two of our strategic partners.
Candidates for the Lucian Leape Patient Safety Fellowship will be health professionals who:
- – Are physicians who have completed their clinical training (speciality residency or equivalent) OR
- – Are Health Care Providers who have completed the equivalent training to a residency in their field of practice.
- – Will commit to include patient safety as a core value of their future work in health care
- – Have a commitment from their home institution to provide them with a role in the organisation’s patient safety programme on completion of their Fellowship.
- – Have completed either the first year of the ISQua Fellowship Programme requirement, or the HPM-affiliated Master’s degree programme at the Harvard Chan School or an equivalent.
- – Were born in and work or intend to return to work in Africa, Latin America or any Low or Middle Income Country, as identified by the World Bank.
- – Have not been previously awarded an ISQua Education or Conference Fellowship.
Selection Criteria: Applicants will be assessed on:
- – The reason for the application
- – The benefit of the Fellowship to the clinical or managerial role of the applicants
- – The benefit of the Fellowship to the applicant’s professional career
- – The benefit of the Fellowship to healthcare and quality in his/her home country
- – An assessment of an applicant’s professional interest in Patient Safety
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: The programme is clinically oriented, designed to provide the Leape Fellow with additional training in the theory of Patient Safety Science and interventions to improve patient safety. This will include training to identify and analyze adverse events and to develop interventions to address these events at a system level.
Duration of Programme: 1 year
How to Apply: Apply and/or Nominate in the Link below