Wits Journalism Africa–China Photo Exhibition (Funded to Johannesburg, South Africa) 2018
The Africa-China Reporting Project (ACRP) at Wits Journalism is inviting all journalists, media practitioners and photographers to submit images for an Africa-China Photo Exhibition that will collect images from across Africa that best encapsulate applicants’ interpretation of “Africa–China”.
Application Deadline: 3rd August 2018
Eligible Countries: African countries
To Be Taken At (Country): Johannesburg, South Africa
About the Award: Commonly the images accompanying Africa-China news tend to display meetings between high-ranking officials and occasionally the juxtaposition of maps and flags of the African continent and China.
As outlined on the About & Contact page, the Africa-China Reporting Project supports journalists to investigate complex Africa-China dynamics and uncover untold stories, emphasising on-the-ground African impact and perspectives to illustrate how the lives of the people of Africa are changing amid the comprehensive phenomenon of Africa-China interactions. The Project is calling for submissions that best encapsulate this vision of Africa-China.
- Submissions are open to all journalists, media practitioners and photographers
- Applicants must have taken the images themselves
- Images must be taken in Africa
- Each applicant can submit a maximum of three images, including the preferred name to be attributed
- Images must be submitted in high-res quality in freely accessible formats, preferably JPEG or PNG
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: The Project will include selected images in an Africa-China Photo Exhibition and make them publicly available under a Creative Commons license, giving full credit to the image owners at all times. The Project will also select the best two images in the exhibition and give the following awards:
- First place: US$1,000 grant to write an accompanying story of the image as well as a fully paid trip to the Project’s Africa-China Journalists Forum in Johannesburg on 1 November 2018, along with the option to do one of the opening speaking slots
- Second place: US$1,000 grant to write the accompanying story of the image
How to Apply: Submissions must be sent in an email with the title Submission: Africa-China Photo Exhibition to [email protected] by no later than 3 August 2018, and should contain the following:
- Applicant CV
- Maximum of three image submissions
- A short description/paragraph to explain each image submission
For any queries please contact the Project team at [email protected].
Award Providers: Africa-China Reporting Project (ACRP)