Call for Papers: Makerere Institute of Social Research (MISR) Conference (Funded to Kampala, Uganda) 2018
MISR has opened call for papers that contextualize the diverse realities of Africa—from political violence to gender issues, from economic affairs to governance, from higher education to arts and culture—without being trapped in the predicament of binaries and the inertia of analogy.
- Deadline for abstract submission: 8th June 2018
- Successful applicants will be notified on 13th June 2018
- Submission of full paper: 13th July 2018
To Be Taken At (Country): Makerere Institute of Social Research (Makerere University) in Kampala, Uganda
About the Award: The logic of binary opposites and analogical deduction has defined the study of Africa for long. Modernity is pitted against tradition, capital against pre-capital, state against society, perpetrator against victim, and so on. It is within such opposites that the realities of Africa are often explained. The assumption is that the continent must follow the historical experience of Europe from which explanations for conditions in Africa are deduced. The annual MISR Graduate Students’ Conference seeks to foster scholarship that moves away from such reductionism in order to study Africa without isolating it from the world and without overlooking its historical specificity. The 2018 Conference will take place at Makerere Institute of Social Research (Makerere University) in Kampala, Uganda, on 20—21 July 2018.
Type: Call for Papers
- Papers in political studies, historical studies, cultural and literary studies and political economy and those with an interdisciplinary perspective are welcome.
- Only Graduate Students who have conducted fieldwork and can produce a paper based on primary research should apply.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: Successful submissions will be considered for a full conference fellowship.
Duration of Programme: 20—21 July 2018.
How to Apply: An abstract of 300 words should be sent to the organizing committee at the following email address: email@example.com
Award Providers: Makerere Institute of Social Research