Earth Journalism Network 2019 Reporting Fellowships to the UNCCD COP14 (Fully-funded to New Delhi, India)
Indian and African Journalists can apply to report from the UN Convention to Combat Desertification COP 14 in New Delhi, India.
Application Deadline: 23rd June 2019 at 5pm IST.
Eligible Countries: African Countries and India
To Be Taken At (Country): New Delhi, India
About the Award: Internews’ Earth Journalism Network is pleased to announce a Fellowship program that will allow selected journalists to attend and cover the 14th Conference of the Parties (COP 14) to the UN CONVENTION TO COMBAT DESERTIFICATION (UNCCD) taking place in New Delhi, India in early September, 2019.
The UNCCD COP14 will be a key gathering to review progress made to control and reverse further loss of productive land from desertification, land degradation and drought. A mix of representatives from national, regional and local governments, science and research communities, the private sector, international and non-governmental organizations and all forms of media are expected to address these issues during the two-week event.
As part of this Fellowship program, the 2019 group will comprise five selected journalists from Africa and India. We’re putting particular emphasis on selecting reporters from arid regions, or regions impacted by drought and desertification. Fellows will attend the conference between 6-14 September, where they will engage with other participants and Fellowship program organizers in a series of specially designed activities that will include mentorship, an orientation workshop, breakfast briefings and interviews and sessions with high-level officials.
Type: Conference, Fellowship
Eligibility: To be eligible for the Fellowship, applicants must:
- Be a professional journalist from or representing an established media house and reporting from a developing country;
- Fill out the application form using the link below, including answering essay questions that illustrate his/her experience reporting on desertification and degradation issues. We also ask you to describe the kinds of stories you might pursue at the conference;
- Be available to arrive in India on Friday, 6th September and stay until departure on Saturday, 14th
- Commit to participate in all Fellowship activities;
- Provide a letter of support from an editor, producer or supervisor who can confirm your ability to publish or broadcast your material in an established media outlet. Freelancers are welcome to apply but must provide a letter of support.
Selection Criteria: Criteria for evaluating applicants will include the prospective Fellow’s demonstrated experience covering desertification, climate change and other environmental topics, their interest in continued coverage of these issues and their audience and outlet’s reach.
Number of Awards: 15-20
Value of Award: Amongst costs covered will be
- nonrefundable economy-class airfare, hotel, meals, and transportation both in-location and in transit.
- We will also assist with the press accreditation process and provide other support services relating to travel.
- Please note that the process of obtaining any necessary visas is a Fellow’s responsibility; however, visa costs can be reimbursed.
The Earth Journalism Network fully respects the editorial independence of all journalists. Throughout the conference, Fellows are free to report as they see fit. As well as the requirements above, we ask that journalists agree to cross-post all stories they file during the UNCCD COP14 on the Earth Journalism Network website and local and regional partner sites (we expect the stories will first be published or broadcast by a Fellow’s home media outlet).
Duration of Program: September 6th – Sept 14th 2019.
How to Apply: As part of the application process, journalists will be asked to submit examples of their work. These can be uploaded as text pasted into a Word document or as links. Stories can be sent in a native language as long as they are accompanied by a short English synopsis. A good command of English, however, will be needed to answer the essay questions and will also be important to participate in Fellowship activities.