TWAS Research Grants Programme in Basic Sciences 2020 for Researchers in Developing Countries
Under this scheme, grants are awarded to promising high-level research projects in Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics carried out by individual scientists in one of the S&T-lagging countries identified by TWAS.
Application Deadline: 15th April 2020
Eligible Countries: Developing Countries
About the Award: TWAS Research Grants are awarded to high-level promising research projects in Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics carried out by individual scientists in the S&T-lagging countries (S&TLC) identified by TWAS.
The TWAS Research Grants Programme in Basic Sciences aims to:
- Reinforce and promote scientific research in basic sciences in developing countries;
- Strengthen developing countries’ endogenous capacity in science;
- Reduce the exodus of scientific talents from the South;
- Build and sustain units of scientific excellence in S&TLC over a longer period to help them achieve a critical mass of highly qualified and innovative scientists capable of addressing real-life problems facing their countries.
The TWAS Research Grants Programme supports research in the basic sciences only; proposals focusing on more applied research should therefore be submitted to IFS. TWAS cannot accept projects relating to applications in agriculture or medicine or that use existing techniques to screen, for example, medicinal plants for bioactive substances or to monitor an environment for pollutants; TWAS will have to reject such proposals.
Fields of Study: Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics
Type: Research, Grants
- Individual applicants must be nationals of developing countries. They must hold a PhD, be at the beginning of their careers, but already have some research experience. They must hold a position at a university or research institution in one of the S&TLCs and be under 45 years of age.
- Applications from women scientists and those working in Least Developed Countries are especially encouraged.
- Individual scientists who submit a satisfactory final report on a previous grant may apply for a renewal.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award:
- Research Grants to individual scientists amount to a maximum of USD 15,000.
- The grants, which are normally provided for a period of 24 months, may be used to purchase scientific equipment, consumables and specialized literature (textbooks and proceedings only). They do not cover salaries of researchers and/or students, field expenses, or travel expenses. In addition, the purchase of laptops and laboratory animals is not supported.
Duration of Program: 24 months
How to Apply:
- TWAS Research Grant applications can ONLY be submitted online now by clicking on the “Apply Now” tab at the bottom of this page.
- Please note that a researcher may only submit one application at a time and for only one kind of grant (either as an individual applicant, as a research unit, COMSTECH or the OWSD Early Career Women Scientists (ECWS) Fellowship). Applicants cannot apply for other TWAS programmes i.e. Postdoctoral, Visiting Scholar and Visiting Researcher programme within the same year in order to be present in their home country throughout the duration of the grant.
- For any queries please contact Ms. P. Patel, e-mail: [email protected]
Hi! AfterSchoolAfrica believes in sharing value. If you have come across this opportunity, share with ONLY one person Today.